Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fumes/Burnt smell in Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dual Motor M3 delivered in September 2018 with 2397 miles.

I consistently smell a chemical odor similar to burning wire when starting the car after it has been sitting unused for a long period of time.

It’s most noticeable when starting it in the morning in my garage. It seems to occur only when the vent fan is on but with both cool or heat.

If I turn the fan off, the smell dissipates, but I typically still need to open the windows.

After running the vehicle for approx 5 minutes, the vent stops producing the odor. However, it’s strong enough in that initial period that it’s cause for concern.
Have you talked to the service center about it?

I've had this happen 3 times in the last two weeks (which have been very cold). At first I thought it was the exhaust of a truck in front of me, but the smell has been consistent in each case so I think it's from my M3. Mine had a bit of a brake pad burn smell, a similar smell to our METRA commuter train when it hits the brakes. I was wondering whether it has anything to do with actually using my brakes a lot more given I turn regen braking to low in snow, and the car typically depends on brakes more anyways.

In one case I actually got the smell after I jammed my brakes to test for sliding on the road. ABS kicked in, then 2 minutes later the smell came. Perhaps the brake pads still very new? Or maybe the rotors are seizing/freezing from the cold weather. Anyone else have any theories it might be the brakes... or you all think it's electrical related? The part I don't understand is I always have my heat running, so that variable has stayed consistent.

I have a Dual Motor M3 delivered in September 2018 with 2397 miles.

I consistently smell a chemical odor similar to burning wire when starting the car after it has been sitting unused for a long period of time.

It’s most noticeable when starting it in the morning in my garage. It seems to occur only when the vent fan is on but with both cool or heat.

If I turn the fan off, the smell dissipates, but I typically still need to open the windows.

After running the vehicle for approx 5 minutes, the vent stops producing the odor. However, it’s strong enough in that initial period that it’s cause for concern.
Did anyone figure this out? It happens every time I start my 2018 model 3 just over the last few months. My experience is the same as TFTWIN writes here.