Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny mistakes trying to drive ICE after driving only an EV ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Stories going beyond adapting to smoothly driving an ICE ...

I just had my first complete FAIL trying to drive an ICE the other day while visiting my parents ... :smile:

I got in the car, put the key in and turned it, put the car in Reverse, and started backing up. I quickly stopped myself because there was no power steering and I wondered what on earth was wrong with the car. It took me about 15 seconds of confusion before I realized I'd never STARTED the car (forgot I needed to turn the key past "on" and turn it over) and that the only reason I was able to back up was because I was on an incline. We all had a good laugh over that one. Parents: "I was wondering why the car was so quiet" ... Me: "I'm used to it -- seemed normal to me!"

Anyone else?

Forgetting to push the brake pedal or push down the clutch when stopping are a couple of ones I've done after a long Roadster trip. I almost ran into someone at a junction when I forgot for a second that I didn't have regen.

Relatively minor, but irritating: the other day as I changed lanes I figured I should accelerate to maintain separation, but the G37 didn't see it that way. The dual clutch transmission must have preselected the wrong gear, because absolutely nothing happened when I hit the gas. After a rather protracted delay, while I instinctively pushed harder on the pedal, the gas finally kicked in. It turned my lane change from a smooth slotting-in into a bit of a cutting-off followed by a lurch.

I've really gotten to used to driving the Roadster. A couple of years ago I would have thought the G37 was a wonderful car... now it sometimes feels clunky.

Last edited:
My ICE is a Jetta TDI. When I first got my Roadster, I didn't touch the Jetta for a long time. I finally got back into the Jetta to make sure it worked. The first time I tried to 'merge' into another lane (which is like a rocket in the Roadster without even gunning it), it seemed like nothing happened. Just took me a moment to remember that not every car takes off like the Roadster does and that it was normal.

Whenever I get in my wife's Mountaineer I can't figure out how she drives with that gigantic steering wheel. My big fail though was driving a hire car, and driving, and driving....to the point where I kept wondering what the *pinging* noise was; with only fumes to spare I realized that I had to put gas in it.

Also, when driving an ICE after the Roadster does everyone else keep looking where the VDS should be? (Right knee for me on the 2.5)

Forgetting to push the brake pedal or push down the clutch when stopping are a couple of ones I've done after a long Roadster trip. I almost ran into someone at a junction when I forgot for a second that I didn't have regen.
I've done this in my wife's Jeep (auto transmission). I got to the end of our street and let up off the accelerator and it didn't slow down. My first thought was that the accelerator had stuck open and after a second remembered that it doesn't have regen.

My problem in the Audi A4 with manual transmission is that 1st gear is left and forward while reverse is right and rearward. This is exactly opposite of the pattern in the 2008 Roadster, so I risk going in the wrong direction in one car or the other if I drive both.