Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the detailed write up. It’s clear you aren’t a fan of the yoke and that’s you’re right. I don’t agree with some of your reasoning as it seems to fall in the “overthinking it” category. This isn’t brain surgery it’s just driving a car.

With that said, the real tragedy is the removal of the stalks from the steering column. I find no advantage to having everything on the steering wheel/yoke. This was a misstep by Tesla and I hope they reconsider.
I actually like the autopilot functions on the right control wheel better than on the stock. Shifting gears on the screen was not a big deal. So I basically prefer what Tesla did with the right control wheel on the model S. The blinkers and the horn are another issue though.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
To each their own in how they prefer to control the car, for me it’s 100% the ability to allow a round steering wheel to slip through my hands in a loose grip coming out of turns, or while in curves on AP, and never be at a loss of control to take over immediately. Just squeeze and now I have the wheel. I tend to shuffle for turns instead of hand over hand. YMMV.
Yes actually, I have a lot more control over the car and autopilot for the same reason. I've got a pretty rock solid grip in many different positions on the steering wheel so when the car decides to take me off the road, which we all know happens quite a bit. I'm ready to grip the wheel. I can't say the same for the yoke, not even close. Typically with the yolk I was more resting my hands on it so the reaction time was much slower

There is always room for one more person to state how they are 110% correct on their decision against the yoke but anyone with good experience or who likes the yoke is full of poo.

I don't think that these are silly threads for many people who are considering getting a model S. It's a big decision to buy a car with a rectangular steering wheel especially one that you can't test drive. I wouldn't say these are silly discussions for a lot of people and that's why I'm putting some time and energy into it

I don't think that these are silly threads for many people who are considering getting a model S. It's a big decision to buy a car with a rectangular steering wheel especially one that you can't test drive. I wouldn't say these are silly discussions for a lot of people and that's why I'm putting some time and energy into it
I agree with you.
I don't think a test drive cuts it with something as fundamentally different as the yoke set-up. I would need at least a week or two, encountering most of the issues unexpectedly rather than "experimenting" with them, to firm up on my feelings about it.
No-one's going to rent a MS Plaid for a fortnight to evaluate it so I surmise there are a fair number out there with some form of buyers' remorse even if they don't admit to it as you have done.

Reactions: Mark II and FFCars
I agree with you.
I don't think a test drive cuts it with something as fundamentally different as the yoke set-up. I would need at least a week or two, encountering most of the issues unexpectedly rather than "experimenting" with them, to firm up on my feelings about it.
No-one's going to rent a MS Plaid for a fortnight to evaluate it so I surmise there are a fair number out there with some form of buyers' remorse even if they don't admit to it as you have done.

It would be nice to solve the test drive issue at Tesla but they do not seem to be working on that solution.

Of course there will be some with buyer's remorse - there is in any product. However, I did not do the scientific study to come to the conclusion that it was a significant lot of buyers. Before calling people liars about their experience, maybe listen and see that they could be telling the truth and having a great experience with the yoke.

I have the same resolve as the OP and would have dumped this yoke thousands of miles ago if I really did not like it.

Reactions: Pdubs
Yeah I liked it too for the first couple months and told everybody I knew how great it was. Then I took a couple cross-country road trips and realized how inferior it is to a wheel in terms of driver fatigue and control.
Interesting, as I have taken many trips and have experienced no fatigue. I already have 14,200 miles on my Model S since early Dec, so that tells you how much I drive. I actually think the yoke makes driving on trips much easier. If you do get fatigue on trips, I suggest you use autopilot. If that does not work, at least the Model S has outstanding resale value right now and you can get something different without losing much if any money.

When I purchased my model S, I expected not to like the yoke or an EV and was expecting to sell it and treat it like a test drive for a month or two. Ended up really liking it though. 🙂

I would like to get a Model Y for one my wife, but the one downfall is it does not have the yoke. Seems weird just going to back to a normal steering wheel now and wish Tesla would use the yoke in all the cars or have the option too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdubs and mtbwalt
@Plaid to Mod 3 the irony is you could have bought an aftermarket steering wheel to suit your specific mission, but did the equivalent of buying a new car because you ran out of gas, or needed new tires. That's a personal choice to downgrade to a different smaller platform and not a logical excuse because you had some specific scenarios that did not meet your expectations as well as steering wheel agnostic complaints and out of scope issues.

Some people can make it work and deal with it, and others have replaced the wheel with a round one aftermarket.

@Plaid to Mod 3 the irony is you could have bought an aftermarket steering wheel to suit your specific mission, but did the equivalent of buying a new car because you ran out of gas, or needed new tires. That's a personal choice to downgrade to a different smaller platform and not a logical excuse because you had some specific scenarios that did not meet your expectations as well as steering wheel agnostic complaints and out of scope issues.

Some people can make it work and deal with it, and others have replaced the wheel with a round one aftermarket.
Yep—$3k or thereabouts would’ve solved the issue…
9330ED33-AD57-4C17-9BC7-E5276B802178.jpeg

It would be nice to solve the test drive issue at Tesla but they do not seem to be working on that solution.

Of course there will be some with buyer's remorse - there is in any product. However, I did not do the scientific study to come to the conclusion that it was a significant lot of buyers. Before calling people liars about their experience, maybe listen and see that they could be telling the truth and having a great experience with the yoke.

I have the same resolve as the OP and would have dumped this yoke thousands of miles ago if I really did not like it.
I'm just trying to get my voice out there in case it helps anybody else. It seems like the people who supposedly love the yoke like to get their voice out there so I'm just trying to balance that out a little bit

I agree with you.
I think these are the issues that are going to catch up to Tesla really quickly as other automotive companies come online with electric and act like mature automotive companies that they are

Reactions: Wol747

I think it's easy to talk favorably about the yolk for a while. I know I did. But at some point I think for a lot of people it's going to click when they jump into a car with a round steering wheel and drive it for a while and realize how much more easy and relaxing it is

I'm just trying to get my voice out there in case it helps anybody else. It seems like the people who supposedly love the yoke like to get their voice out there so I'm just trying to balance that out a little bit

You do not need to create a balance. Just state your opinion (as persoanl experience and opinion) and let the chips fall where they may.

Agreed. The internal combustion engine has been the golden standard for 100 years too. This whole tesla and electrification thing is just silly.
I don’t think these are comparable critiques (and I don’t think this one is as reasonable as your others). There are a lot of great sales and marketing reasons for Tesla to offer Model S buyers a choice of wheel or yoke (maximize the market, if nothing else, and the production costs should be minimal). Aftermarket add-ons aren’t comparable to OEM installations, no matter how much money you might have to burn.

If you love the yoke, great, have at it. But, I think it’s fair to ask Tesla to throw in the choice to choose a wheel when paying six figures for a car. (And, gimme the stalks, while you’re at it.)

I think it's easy to talk favorably about the yolk for a while. I know I did. But at some point I think for a lot of people it's going to click when they jump into a car with a round steering wheel and drive it for a while and realize how much more easy and relaxing it is
I'll let you know how it goes I pick mine up next week. If it's that big an issue I'll make a true round steering wheel for the Model S and port all the functionality / safety features over to a new wheel, then call it a day. I'm not going to sell the car because of it.

This stuff is normal. If complainers had been driving with a yoke for 30 years, and someone decided to change to a full circle wheel, they would also have complained how it blocked their view of the display, reduced leg room, made it harder to get in/out of the car, weighed more, used up more material, was confusing as to how much the wheel was turned, etc.

Imagine that some will continue to prefer the full circle, and others the yoke for some time.

One other thought. Cars are generally like appliances; you should be able to sit down in one, adjust a few things, and generally feel at home. (This has zero to do with the propulsion or fuel.) Yes, different cars and manufacturers will move things around in the spirit of making things better and different, within a certain range. Cars will evolve, sometimes rapidly, but cost/benefit will determine that evolution’s future.

If you’re going to argue that a generous test drive of a car isn’t enough to validate someone’s opinion of a control surface, you are by definition making an elitist argument that the general public isn’t capable of discerning the value of that control surface (the general public can’t afford to take one home for a month or five months to test drive). And, if you (no specific “you”) are going to argue that months of ownership also aren’t legit for making that judgment, then that’s a whole other category of exclusive judgment.

By all means, have a discussion about the pros and cons of one or the other, but leave “you haven’t owned it long enough” at the curb.