Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fuse replacement for P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure anyone have the experience in replacing a burnt fuse as my internal 12V cigarette port is not working suddenly and I am expecting the fuse may burn out. However, try to follow the owner manual to replace the fuse myself but find that the layout of the fusebox is totally differently from user manual. I can locate the fuse box and open it easily but then no way to identify the exact fuse need to replace. For sure, I call up the CS and need to wait for 2 month for service booking. :cursing:

Not sure anyone have the experience in replacing a burnt fuse as my internal 12V cigarette port is not working suddenly and I am expecting the fuse may burn out. However, try to follow the owner manual to replace the fuse myself but find that the layout of the fusebox is totally differently from user manual. I can locate the fuse box and open it easily but then no way to identify the exact fuse need to replace. For sure, I call up the CS and need to wait for 2 month for service booking. :cursing:

2 Months??? Are you serious? Replacing the Fuse is as easy as it can get about Fixing a car to be honest....Go talk to Elon Musk on the 26th Jan, I am sure he can speed it up for you lol

2 Months??? Are you serious? Replacing the Fuse is as easy as it can get about Fixing a car to be honest....Go talk to Elon Musk on the 26th Jan, I am sure he can speed it up for you lol

I don't think they care what need to be fixed and set the priority. To be honest, I am not complaining about the long waiting time as there are really lots of owners pending for service with such a new brand in the town. I wonder why the owner manual is not updated so that we can sort out our minor problem directly. Something as simple as replacing a light bulb.

thanks! This is the same manual that I can read from the car. There are 3 fuse box said in the manual but I can only find 2, the fuse box 2 and 3 has already combined. That's why I said the manual is not updated. :mad:

Thanks to Titus as I borrowed a photo from his another post. You can see what is exactly in the car compare to the user manual description.

The manual show 3 fuse box and two are in front of the trunk after you open the cover.
Fusebox%20manual1.jpg

There is only 1 fuse box and different from the manual
12196303_10156354801050045_5010980709639101541_n.jpg

No way to fix it even I follow the manual.
Fusebox%20manual2.jpg

Assuming you can get hold of a replacement fuse that fits, and that 12V fuse amp is same for your car as shown in the manual.

Make sure power is off, take out the suspected failed 15A fuse(s) and check for continuity. Replace once found.

Last edited:
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG
Yes, the fuse box under the hood is completely different from what the manual listed (the Jan 2016 version from my document), the fuses next to the driver seat has no description at all, the two wires are inserted for my Blackvue 750 by the installation technian, red one is switched 12V. Anyone got an updated fuses list?

View attachment 114666View attachment 114667Yes, the fuse box under the hood is completely different from what the manual listed (the Jan 2016 version from my document), the fuses next to the driver seat has no description at all, the two wires are inserted for my Blackvue 750 by the installation technian, red one is switched 12V. Anyone got an updated fuses list?

2016 Fuse diagram2.JPG
2016 Fuse diagram.JPG

Reactions: invisik
A Hong Kong car may have a different layout. With my own P85D (79XXX), I'm jammed trying to find the console USB fuse (12v "lighter" fine). So far, I have the two box (later layout) and not the longer, single one. There is also no third fuse box diagonally behind the mid-mounted ones.

Tesla seems to have removed fuse diagrams from later manuals located within MyTesla. They may not be well linked by year, but you can gain quicker access to different years at: Download 2015 Tesla Model S - Owner's Manual PDF (164 Pages) In my own 2015 Tesla account, I'm linked to what is the 2016/17 manual at the site I'm pointing to. So, I either get the wrong information, or nothing.

..After having gone through the "you'll have to bring it in", this gets aggravating. There's a third box somewhere. I've checked footwells without any luck, so far.

I'll note that, since I have the non-powertrain manual in MA (I didn't copy its entirety/fuse portion), the "manual"s on MyTesla are effectively glove box grade, or less when you start omitting things like fuses. Bad direction, Tesla. I'm 5 miles away from an SC, and can only imagine how others might feel.

$325, for a USB module at the SC. It is "E-fused", from within the MCU which does not need to be accessed for the fix by virtue of the way e-fuses work. So long as a short exists, the fuse will blow open until the MCU attempts a reset on its own. In my case, it was a spill and liquid remained. No warranty, as I caused it. So, for reference, the 12v supply coming from the USB console ports is not fused in any of the three fuse boxes located in the frunk area. The SC mentioned a parts change occurred with the facelift cars. Not sure what that involved.

A bit of a bummer to think compressed air might have worked. I got the old part. Pretty simple. Just serial USB, to an opposite side terminated with mini-USB.