Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future EV architecture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's jump beyond speculating about the Model E (or whatever it is to be called now!) and imagine what EVs will look like in, say, 10-15 years time.

There will be no more agonizing about what size and type of 'engine' to get and the small electric motors will be discretely installed under the back seats (or frunk or wherever).

So what will distinguish one brand/model from another? OK range, performance and build quality/reliability. If these are similar - as is pretty well the case with ICE cars now - then the prime considerations will be design/layout/visual appeal (which can be more diverse than with ICEs).

What do you think will be the alternatives or standard design?

I imagine that the bonnets/hoods will get shorter to open up internal space and improve aerodynamics - maybe to the point of one-box designs.

Minimal rear windows as CCTVs will replace the need and windows just add heat and cold so maybe they will become smaller.

Also I can see the air intakes shrinking to aid aero and the designs becoming slinkier for aero including enclosed wheels (certainly at the rear).

Less cluttered and more spacious interiors will add a new component and layouts may become more radical and range from super-plush to minimalist.

Fun to speculate - what ideas do you have?

think cars in general will double in price due to government mandated safety features, self driving tech and 500 mile ev ranges. The overall price wont matter much however because most people will not own the cars as they will turn into a"lyft" type service. Order your car for a time and destination, and the self driving car will show up at your driveway and charge you a minor fee for the service.

Ok maybe this is 30 years out, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
think cars in general will double in price due to government mandated safety features, self driving tech and 500 mile ev ranges.

I think this is true but it won't matter much not because large percentage of people will switch to "lyft" type service but because durability will more than double.

This will lower lease payments. And loan lengths will be lengthened from 36-72 months up to 144 months.

Refurbishing good condition cars with new battery pack, paint, AC, and reupholstered front seats will become very popular.

And I think companies will differentiate with battery chemistry and electric motor durability/performance.

And they will compete as they do now with safety, luxury features, design, reliability, and service.

And even with BEVs some are more efficient than others.

I'm not sure what things will look like, just that we will have more range for less $. I can't wait to see what type of EV I get to buy my daughter when she starts driving in 14 more years. It's going to be fun looking back and seeing how much has changed and to say we got to be there at the beginning....

I live in the NYC suburbs and commute using public transportation into the city. Have two young children, a 1 car garage and 2 car driveway, a yard and garden. For day-in day-out family transport and long trips my wife has a VW Passat TDI, but something like a model S would also do in the future. I need a 2nd car that can take me to the park n ride, and can also fill various utility roles. Must be cheap, versatile, low maintenance and convenient.

A small, versatile car similar to a Honda N Box Plus, but electric.

Seats 4, lots of head room, fold away passenger seats. Hopefully the average car size in the US will be smaller in a decade so this won't be dangerously small.

Range of 200 miles under any weather, driving conditions. Induction charging.

Solar panels not just for charging, but to insure the car is cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Wirelessly connected so it knows when to expect you.

It would be cool if an autonomous driving system could drop you off and pick you up on demand so that parking in the city were less of a hassle.

Base Price of $15K.

I would also accept something smaller like a covered scooter just for commuting to the park n ride and grocery shopping but it needs to be under $5K. Able to travel safely at highway speeds.

As much as new technology, vehicles like the above would need more flexible/different regulations, I guess, at least in the US.

Stop me if you've read this before....er, rather, don't you dare stop...

I sure hope that some of them look an awful lot like today's pickups! Those of us who do long-distance heavy hauling really, really could use the torque, power, and freedom from the yoke of diesel that electric vehicles present.

I need a 2nd car that can take me to the park n ride, and can also fill various utility roles. Must be cheap, versatile, low maintenance and convenient.
A small, versatile car similar to a Honda N Box Plus, but electric.
Seats 4, lots of head room, fold away passenger seats. Hopefully the average car size in the US will be smaller in a decade so this won't be dangerously small.
Range of 200 miles under any weather, driving conditions. Induction charging.
Solar panels not just for charging, but to insure the car is cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Wirelessly connected so it knows when to expect you.
It would be cool if an autonomous driving system could drop you off and pick you up on demand so that parking in the city were less of a hassle.
Base Price of $15K.

I know this thread is about "future EV" cars but what you describe won't exist at that price for decades, in my opinion. It may exist by 2040. I just don't think the technology will progress that fast and the price drop that much. Of course I could be wrong...