Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Model S Rebuild, how can I confirm battery pack by VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new member here, figure I'd start posting as not everyone was welcome to me messaging and asking questions with no history on the forum. I've been lurking on here for a while, and am hoping to work on a Model S rebuild sometime soon (still some convincing needs to be done to let my wife approve). My profession is in civil engineering, but I have been working on salvaged cars for over 10 years now.

Anyways, does anyone have anyway of confirming how big a battery pack is in a Model S hold by using the vin number? I'm watching a few cars on IAA and Copart and with some you cannot confirm as the emblem is gone and the car doesnt have power in the picture. I have tired to run an autocheck report, but this does not confirm either.

Battery size is a configuration level detail, and wont be in VIN decodes outside Tesla's database. I'd be surprised if they released a build sheet to you after themselves realizing that the VIN is salvaged... perhaps your local SvC wouldn't be the wiser to check, so you might get some luck there...

Update. I haven’t gotten an email back from Tesla yet. But I did call their sales number from the website. I was able to get a few things from them by providing the last 6 of the vin. I did not tell them that the car was from an auction. They also told me I could email them, and they could provide me with the options the car originally came with.