Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD glass cracked - worth replacing now or ok to wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, have to admit it finally happened to me. Rolled too much forward inside the garage and hit overhanging storage when opened FWDs.

From the photos, what does forum think: does it need urgent replacement or ok to wait? Also what's the current replacement price? Worth doing it through insurance?

Attachments

• 20220509_092223.jpg
    20220509_092223.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220509_092207.jpg
    20220509_092207.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 69
There's a thread around DIY on here somewhere. If you can source the glass w/ good seals, it didn't look to be too difficult. The key thing is that the seals are integrated to the glass, so you can't change one w/o the other (you may already know this, apologies).

It comes down to your insurance policy and whether you're willing to put the time into sourcing the glass to DIY.

I would personally start by testing for leaks w/ a little bit of water. If it leaks right away, then I would get it fixed quickly. If not, then some good taping might prolong the replacement a little. Regardless, I would want it cared for as quickly as I was able while keeping my out of pocket reasonable.

Thanks, that what I was thinking as well. I don't have much experience with buying used parts for Tesla, so asked Tesla service about replacement, the current price is $1140 per glass, which seems rather reasonable to me, knowing all the concerns with used parts around deteriorating seals, so I went with the usual method. So far the crack is water proof but it's chipping already, so I'm really uncomfortable leaving it as-is for a long period.

Going to get a rubber stopper in garage to avoid this in the future.