Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
For those of you who may recognize me with my FWD issue with heat on my 2016 X... my new replacement vehicle seems to have a different but related problem.

It’s about 93F outside. I am not able to open my driver side FWD. My previous car would show obstacle detected on the side of the FWD. Now my new car has this similar issue, except I can’t even override it and it shows obstacle is detected on top of the FWD. As you can see the top sensor is ok because I have no issue opening the other side.

0EEC6E70-D8FC-4057-BB0A-FC7F8F83A94A.jpeg

I don’t know if this heat related yet but it’s the first time my car sits out in the heat this long since delivery.

This driver side door had issue before where if it’s opened it won’t let me close it, occasionally. I timestamped everything and had the SC checked it out and they replaced the pinch sensor. I don’t know if they screwed up something and caused this new issue.

My passenger side also had an issue where it’s closed to 90% and stuck showing obstacle detected every once in a while. My SC was supposed to have fixed it as well last time, also replacing the pinch sensor. Looks like the fault is still here as it just happened again today. This is an annoying issue as it might pop back open little bit after closing to 90% so I have to double check before I walk away.

This is a March 2018 vehicle in white. I am really getting frustrated not only because of these repeated issues, it’s also not being able to get Model X loaner (or even any Tesla) any more at my local SC. Sorry about the rant but I just have to share my issues.

Last edited:
Yea I mean it’s not even that hot compared to some other states. It’s frustrating because it won’t let me override it. I press and hold it and it won’t do anything. I can close it back. I’ve tried 10 times or so it will only open 1 inch every time. My toddler was just sitting there looking at her stupid father trying to open the damn door so she can get unbuckled and gtfo.

Before anyone suggest “just use the other side”. Thanks but that’s not the point.

Last edited:
For anyone who cares, I've came up with some conclusion why these 2 issues occurred.

When the car is on a tilted road, and in my case tilted right, the driver FWD would have problem opening. If I give it a little lift with my hand while it's opening, it will open. I have not tested the other side to replicate it.

As for the other issue closing the passenger FWD door, it seems to happen when the car is on an incline/ramp. See video below.

• Informative
Reactions: l4sythe
Had one of the FWDs stop opening over the weekend on a trip. Emergency release cable would not work.
Pressing open via any means would result in only a very small gap between body and door and then it would stop.
Called Tesla for tech support, usual thumbwheel reset and upper button reset, door override and vehicle powerdown for more than 2 minutes was ineffective.
Pillar close held for 10 seconds pulled the door in flush but car didn't think it was closed, wouldn't shut down, turn off music, turn off environmental control or lock.
Service centers were closed for the weekend and phone support tried everything they from the tech support guidelines that they could to no avail.
Advice was to do a walk-in when the Service Center was open.
The door open 'nag' beeping volume override didn't work either, so we did the first leg of return trip with that incessant beeping.

And here's the tip (at least with current firmware versions), causing a second 'door open' condition by having another door open while switching into drive (or reverse) with your foot on the brakes and then closing the door clears the nag beeping even though the console will still report the FWD as open. You still need to dismiss the touchscreen warnings that pop up when changing into a gear (drive/reverse) so you can get to maps/backup camera as well as dismissing the mini-widget showing the FWD open by pressing the control scrollwheel down long enough to enter the widget selector and then exiting., which is useful to have your navigation widget back. Thank goodness for the dog being annoyed at the first stop and needing to get driving quickly to get him to calm down or else I wouldn't have stumbled into this.

This definitely saved our sanity on the rest of the trip home.

Of course after getting back I get up the first weekday and go to the car to drive over for a walk-in and find the door is not closed flush anymore but has a slightly larger gap than when it was originally stuck and a click to the open button actually opens it. So it resolved itself eventually.

Already had an appointment later in the week for something else so I added the cable release for the FWD issue to the service request.

Also, was discussing with someone at work and he suggested making note of whether the car was on a slope and what level the suspension was on (from his RV experiences). When parked at home and the issue resolved itself, the MX was on a slight incline with suspension high to avoid bottoming out on the curb drop entering/exiting the driveway. Issue originally occurred with suspension in low and on a flat road.

I have a similar issue but different circumstance. In my garage, when the C is the only car in there, the driver side FWD and drivers door will not open. States obstacle despite open full being set. I have multiple videos yet the SC can’t find anything wrong.