Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD hits roof after 2024.14.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this is nuts….$100k car and we are being told to just deal with it or proof our garages because of either a hardware or software defect.

Can others comment if the SC acknowledged the issue or helped them out? I don’t have Twitter (or X or whatever it’s called) but debating creating one to message Elon on there and see if it would amount to anything lol…

So it continues happening intermittently (but quite often actually) for me as well where sensors simply stop working and FWD/roof sensors are not sensing anything. Sometimes it’s just roof sensor while FWD sensors are working (and FWDs were closed when roof sensor is not working).
FWIW attaching pictures from service mode showing sensors locked at max distance while it’s in garage and there is certainly less than 2 meters to obstacles.

Now, it did start happening with 2024.14.x update but I’m wondering if anyone is noticing correlation with hot weather for this issue? Yes it seems the issue started happening when 2024.14.x was installed but wondering if it’s a coincidence and real reason for issues is weather warming up? What I mean is usually in the morning sensors are working but then after sitting on open parking lot they often stop working and I have the issue persist when I drive home and park in garage. Then the next morning it’s generally fine. It’s 90+ here lately and the issue seems to happen more often. There is an existing thread on FWD issues in hot weather (Falcon wing doors issues on hot days.) but it seems there it’s about detecting phantom objects and not opening while we’re running into complete opposite here.

Luckily no damage yet for me - set the FWD opening height to Low which works for my garage height and watching opening FWDs when cars are parked closely but it’s definitely concerning. Dreading taking it to SC so waiting to see if 2024.20.x magically fixes it.
Anyone got upgraded to 2024.20.x and sees any improvement?
IMG_5244.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg

broke my glass again 2 days after installing the new one.
Sorry to hear that. I took mine in yesterday and they told me it was going to cost almost $1300. They are not interested in any of my "conspiracy theories" about it being related to the software download version I got a month ago. It literally hit my garage again as soon as I returned from the service center. I just have to stop opening the FWD's and trunk in the garage because I cant keep shelling out $1300 whenever the sensors decide to not sense. Again, I have parked in the same garage with the same X since March 2022 and this never happened until that new FSD trial software update last month.

Unfortunately we can’t make them do anything, besides via a class action lawsuit.

I got 2024.20.1 installed today, the doors worked properly right after install, but they started working as of last night anyway so too early to tell if there is indeed any fix.
That is pleasant to hear, keep us updated please. How long between 2024.14.9 until you get your 2024.20.1?

That is pleasant to hear, keep us updated please. How long between 2024.14.9 until you get your 2024.20.1?
I installed 20.1 this morning but FWDs were still not working properly. This afternoon, FWDs were working properly. So frustrating but excited for the power front doors to finally open properly along with the new adaptive headlights.

My 30 day free trial of FSD (14.9) expired this past Friday so I would guess approximately 30 days between 14.9 and 20.1.

Reactions: towndrunk
I installed 20.1 this morning but FWDs were still not working properly. This afternoon, FWDs were working properly. So frustrating but excited for the power front doors to finally open properly along with the new adaptive headlights.

My 30 day free trial of FSD (14.9) expired this past Friday so I would guess approximately 30 days between 14.9 and 20.1.
I don’t know if there is any pattern to their updates. I got 14.9 about the same time on both my 3 and my X, but my 3 got 20.1 over a week ago and my X just got it today.

That’s unfortunate about the FWDs still not working for you, I was hoping 20.1 resolved it. Mine are good so far but it may take a week or two to be sure.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Sorry to hear that. I took mine in yesterday and they told me it was going to cost almost $1300. They are not interested in any of my "conspiracy theories" about it being related to the software download version I got a month ago. It literally hit my garage again as soon as I returned from the service center. I just have to stop opening the FWD's and trunk in the garage because I cant keep shelling out $1300 whenever the sensors decide to not sense. Again, I have parked in the same garage with the same X since March 2022 and this never happened until that new FSD trial software update last month.
This has got class action written all over it.

Reactions: towndrunk and rpo
I don’t know if there is any pattern to their updates. I got 14.9 about the same time on both my 3 and my X, but my 3 got 20.1 over a week ago and my X just got it today.

That’s unfortunate about the FWDs still not working for you, I was hoping 20.1 resolved it. Mine are good so far but it may take a week or two to be sure.
Be vigilant, mine worked for a week and now cost me another broken glass.

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Sooo maybe I spoke too soon.... 🚨 STAY VIGILANT GUYS!!!

Got 14.9 back on June 11th, even installed some pool noodles prior but all has been well and as as expected...

Today, and luckily I was ready for it, drivers side FWD shot up way quicker than normal in the garage and if it wasn't for me pulling on it I'm confident it would have impacted the rail.

Tested shortly after on the passenger side with the same result... so strange, never had them open like that in the past.

Hopefully 20.1 has a bug fix for this. 🤞