Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD hits roof after 2024.14.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having the same issue with FWD and rear hatch. This was after the lastest update (v12 (2024.20.1 831) on or about June 12th. Both doors flew open hitting the garage door whereas it never had that problem before and would normally stop well short where I would need to push the doors up further. Took the car into service center on 6/14/2024, they could not find anything wrong saying that the sensors are all detecting obstacles. I told them that might be true but the sensors are not stopping the FWD from crashing into my garage door. Went home, and the sensors were finally working again.... or so I thought. Just this past weekend on 6/22/2024, the FWD flew open again without slowing down and hit the metal bar for my garage door, this time causing a noticeable chip in the paint. I added a piece styrofoam to the metal bar of the garage door to prevent future damage and after a manual system reset of the X using the scroll wheels on steering wheel, tried it again and the same thing happened - the FWD just flew open without slowing down and hit the garage door bracket which fortunately I added styrofoam padding. have another appointment scheduled for early July.

Reactions: John Coctason
Slightly different issue for me with the FWD saying it needed to close when it was already closed. I opened and closed it with the touch screen and it still said it was open. I rebooted the car with the two wheel salute and the issue cleared.
Currently on 2024.20.1. Next update is queued as .3. But currently traveling so not risking the software update while away from home.

When my car park inside garage, 2024.14.9 sensors didn't show up at all, FWD and tailgate all ways open full height. After installed 2024.20.1, all sensors show up again. FWD and tailgate open low. Just installed 2024.20.3 today, so far works normal as well.
IMG_6848.jpeg

Last edited:
They told me to message them every time I have an issue where my FWD and/or the trunk doesn't sense anything and hits my garage roof. I message them on average 3 times a week with these reports. Now, they told me to install 2024.20.6. Does anyone else have this version? If so, does it fix the issue?

They told me to message them every time I have an issue where my FWD and/or the trunk doesn't sense anything and hits my garage roof. I message them on average 3 times a week with these reports. Now, they told me to install 2024.20.6. Does anyone else have this version? If so, does it fix the issue?

20.6 just showed up. A LOT more people are still installing 20.3 tho.

1719314543039.png

Yet another data point and some updates

I brought my vehicle into Tesla Service for them to take a look. Currently the doors are working fine. They did plug it in to take a look at the logs and exactly the time stamps that I recorded when the sensors failed.

Interestingly, They cannot see the external sensor failure only internal sensor failure. The car did not register that the exterior sensors were faulting. This is probably why, Tesla may be having issues finding the exact cause.

Additionally, the only thing the car reported was that the ecu was waiting for the interior sensor to awaken, and due to timeout; sent the MIA signal

They agreed that this looks more software than hardware. Both sides were reporting the same issue; they doubt the wiring harness on both sides as well as both sensors simultaneously failed, able to recover with a hard boot.

They took my logs and are sending it to Tesla engineering to see if they can find anything.

Otherwise, there was nothing they could do, as of right now the car diagnostics came back as functioning properly.

Hi guys, just an update after the SC appointment today. Not much they can do for me except making sure that the hardware for the sensors is still working. In short, they think it is a bug in software.

I am still on 2024.14.9...

Much appreciated if you guys can update us on your new firmwares.

1000015055.jpg

Hi guys, just an update after the SC appointment today. Not much they can do for me except making sure that the hardware for the sensors is still working. In short, they think it is a bug in software.

I am still on 2024.14.9...

Much appreciated if you guys can update us on your new firmwares.

View attachment 1060292

"Known Characteristic of Current Firmware" - At least that means it's been acknowledged as an issue that they need to fix in case we weren't sure...

This thread is an effing joke. I never trust the sensors to open my fwd in my garage or any low ceiling garage for that matter, so I wasn’t aware of this, but I’d agree with rpo and force Tesla to pay. So what that lawyers cost hundreds of dollars per hour - when you win Tesla pays for it. Too many are intimidated to fight for their right believing it’s such a hassle, but constantly going to service centers and logging stuff isn’t.