Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI if you ordered in November

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

An FYI, I called a Tesla rep and Tesla WON’T take the rebate amount off the price if they miss the Jan. 1st date. For context, I ordered my Tesla SR+ in early November, I received my vin, they changed my delivery date. From other posts on this forum, it looks like I’ll hopefully be picking up at the Tesla NYE event- the Tesla rep says the odds of receiving your car at this event are not guaranteed. Not sure what my odds are at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
What BS? I know our remodel contractors charged a change order fee if we wanted to alter something from the work being performed as agreed upon at the start. It keeps people from making changes all the time that disrupts the flow of work and causes extra work for people. While this wasn’t a change order fee, your initial order was no longer to be produced and the car that was in the que to be produced now was unnecessary and need to be sold to someone else and listed as inventory. So you were starting from scratch essentially placing a new order and yep looks like prices went up in the meantime. It wasn’t like if you kept your original order they would have changed the price on you. These were custom orders that were placed.

Perhaps a bit harsh of a stance, but not the kind of customer service or accommodation I would expect for an order change on color only 3 days after the initial order. At the same time, I paid it, so from a revenue standpoint good on Tesla. From a new customer experience standpoint, bad on Tesla. It hasn't soured me in the least really, but it was a surprise.

That’s why I cancelled my M3 SR+ order even after receiving the vin. The vin means absolutely nothing. If I can’t take delivery of the car by the pre-planned / scheduled timeframe, I gotta move on and they can keep my hard working $100 for making false promises.

Not surprising. I ordered in late October with FSD for 6k. I changed the color I wanted on Nov 3rd and they tacked on another 1k for the new FSD price. They wouldn't budge when I called BS.

If I were you I'd just cancel the FSD. Tesla's lack of concern for their customers will catch up with them once the other manufacturers start introducing better built cars with the full federal tax rebate.

Reactions: Callawayc7
That’s why I cancelled my M3 SR+ order even after receiving the vin. The vin means absolutely nothing. If I can’t take delivery of the car by the pre-planned / scheduled timeframe, I gotta move on and they can keep my hard working $100 for making false promises.

Question: Since it sounds like you'll be in the market for a different car, what's the next best car (next to a Tesla M3 SR+) that costs $1,875 less? I'm just curious which car/brand will be getting your business because of this price difference.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Question: Since it sounds like you'll be in the market for a different car, what's the next best car (next to a Tesla M3 SR+) that costs $1,875 less? I'm just curious which car/brand will be getting your business because of this price difference.

This is a really good question and it's one I've been asking myself for about a year now. I really want to buy a model 3, I can't explain why, but every time I get close I realize it's a bad idea. My 4th Volt that I bought earlier this year had something like a $42k MSRP but was ~ $29k after discounts and ~$22k after the $7,500 credit. I could spend about $38k on a SR+ M3 right now (after the credit) and get stuck with something under 200 miles of winter range with no gas generator that takes over when I run out of charge. Plus the build quality, paint quality, customer service quality of all my Volts has been perfect. Yes it's just a Chevy but this is daily driver utility for me. Again I really want a M3 for some reason but the more I think about it the less sense it makes.

If you're looking for EV only, you can buy a new Bolt right now with just the cloth seats for ~$25k after the tax credit or a premier with leather for ~$28k after the credit. I think we're a year away from any other serious competitors.

Another FYI, all service centers and online store are out of stock of 14-50 adapters. There is not anticipated restock date for these but will likely be over 4 weeks. Gee thanks Tesla

Try a delivery center. They moved stocks of chargers, hub kits, etc to those a month ago so people could pick them up with their new car.

Or try eBay. A lot of people got them with their car prior to 2019. Most are just sitting in the same case with the UMC collecting dust. But occasionally you see them for sale on eBay.

I used mine for about a month, but since I wanted the mobile changer always in the car just in case, it was a hassle. So went with a High Powered Wall Charger permanently installed.

Last edited:
This is a really good question and it's one I've been asking myself for about a year now. I really want to buy a model 3, I can't explain why, but every time I get close I realize it's a bad idea. My 4th Volt that I bought earlier this year had something like a $42k MSRP but was ~ $29k after discounts and ~$22k after the $7,500 credit. I could spend about $38k on a SR+ M3 right now (after the credit) and get stuck with something under 200 miles of winter range with no gas generator that takes over when I run out of charge. Plus the build quality, paint quality, customer service quality of all my Volts has been perfect. Yes it's just a Chevy but this is daily driver utility for me. Again I really want a M3 for some reason but the more I think about it the less sense it makes.

If you're looking for EV only, you can buy a new Bolt right now with just the cloth seats for ~$25k after the tax credit or a premier with leather for ~$28k after the credit. I think we're a year away from any other serious competitors.

In your case, it's probably best to just wait for more competition (options). It's not just about the $1,875. You have to be sure it's for you and as you stated, you have too many lingering doubts. I mean, "gas generator" as a benefit ??

This is why I asked because most Tesla owners wouldn't sell their Teslas even if you promised them $1,875 over the absolute maximum resale value they could get on the open market. We love cars too much. Plus, we're saving tons of money (dwarfing the $1,875 over the life of the car).

This works out in the end for everyone. Best of luck to you.

Another FYI, all service centers and online store are out of stock of 14-50 adapters. There is not anticipated restock date for these but will likely be over 4 weeks. Gee thanks Tesla

Are you plugging into an outlet in your own garage? If so, just change the outlet to something that Tesla does have in stock. Outlets are $10 at home depot, and changing an outlet is super easy even if you're so un-handy that the only tool in your toolbox (aka kitchen drawer) is a screwdriver.

Last edited:

You said “any other” serious competitors....... as if the Bolt falls into that category. Lol

Reactions: matador4