Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI July 2019 Build SR+ = HW2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my SR+ on 7/30. Build date 7/2019. Same exact firmware history as you. Factory installed firmware was 2019.15.105 46b3032. Received update to 2019.28.2 320fba0 a few days ago. No FSD.

To my surprise, my video is H264, but I am going to go on a hunch that Tesla made a change with 2019.28.2

I saw a few other threads where owners who took delivery with specs similar to ours checked their actual HW behind the glove box, confirmed HW3 via part number, and have H264 encoding.

I could be wrong...

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I took delivery of my SR+ on 7/30. Build date 7/2019. Same exact firmware history as you. Factory installed firmware was 2019.15.105 46b3032. Received update to 2019.28.2 320fba0 a few days ago. No FSD.

To my surprise, my video is H264, but I am going to go on a hunch that Tesla made a change with 2019.28.2

I saw a few other threads where owners who took delivery with specs similar to ours checked their actual HW behind the glove box, confirmed HW3 via part number, and have H264 encoding.

I could be wrong...
I will try to check my part # today and report back.

Blue RHD Model 3 Performance with FSD (UK delivery on 7th August)

I collected Wednesday and have been through a very long exchange with Tesla on whether or not I actually have the FSD HW3 computer. My car records videos in H264 not H265 (which I was expecting for HW3) but I do have HW3 (confirmed both by Tesla service who connected to the car as well as me by taking a photo of the computer part number under the glove box

and comparing it to the parts list here

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47362

Tesla service EU tell me that that is expected and there is much confusion with the codecs at the moment, so I can only assume that they are now emulating HW2.5 to make software releases easier (most probably from 2019.28.2) until FSD features are ready.

When did you do the Codec check?

I just discovered that my June build FSD optioned Raven X which was recording H265 videos for the last two months started recording H264 instead when I got the 2019.28.2 update.

No idea why they'd do that, but it's going to create a lot of confusion.

Well, I guess there goes the simple way to check HW3 or not...

For now. I have trouble believing it'll stay that way forever - if they never intend to use it, why build the hardware for H265 into the HW3 chips?

I don't understand why they did this (unless it was a mistake?) but I'm assuming they'll change it back at some point in the future as they move into Full Self Driving.

For now. I have trouble believing it'll stay that way forever - if they never intend to use it, why build the hardware for H265 into the HW3 chips?

I don't understand why they did this (unless it was a mistake?) but I'm assuming they'll change it back at some point in the future as they move into Full Self Driving.

I wonder if it solved the backup camera frame-rate issues on HW3 cars? Anyone confirm/deny this?

I could be wrong...
That is in fact, what Tesla did. Pre-28.2, HW3 used H.265 encoding. With 28.2 encoding is now h.264. the only way you can now tell is by grabbing the part number specifically. See FSD computer HW3 or HW2.5 tracking sheet for more info.

The rear view camera is jerky and Tesla can’t figure it out, and I’ll never purchase FSD on this car so it’s worthless

Dang wtf?

Can confirm this. In my one week old P3D-, the rear view camera is very jerky. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that sometimes it's as smooth as butter, other times jerky, other times smooth and then it starts to stutter really bad.

The car's sonar saved me a few days ago while backing into my garage. The camera had been working nice and smoothly, then suddenly started lagging behind, then froze for two seconds or so. I didn't realize how far behind real time the camera was until my car beeped at me about the stuff that was now rather close to the rear bumper. Right when the car beeped, the camera updated, and jerked everything in frame much closer to my car.

As of now, it simply isn't reliable enough to safely use for backing the car up.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Can confirm this. In my one week old P3D-, the rear view camera is very jerky. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that sometimes it's as smooth as butter, other times jerky, other times smooth and then it starts to stutter really bad.

The car's sonar saved me a few days ago while backing into my garage. The camera had been working nice and smoothly, then suddenly started lagging behind, then froze for two seconds or so. I didn't realize how far behind real time the camera was until my car beeped at me about the stuff that was now rather close to the rear bumper. Right when the car beeped, the camera updated, and jerked everything in frame much closer to my car.

As of now, it simply isn't reliable enough to safely use for backing the car up.
Tesla is trying to figure it out on my car. They have replaced the rear view camera already with an updated part. No change.

• Helpful
Reactions: super20g