Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FYI: My opinion is Model 3 > Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this might be helpful to anyone who has a Model 3 and is considering moving to a Model S after the price cuts.

When Tesla did the price cuts they also dropped Model S prices like $20k or so. I was in the area and figured I hadn't driven a new S, much less any S, in six years or so. A Plaid S is like half the price of the Roadster and worse in some ways but better in some ways. Roadster seems like it may still be a while, let me check this thing out. Hopefully I love it. I think the refresh did a lot for the look, I think it's by far the best looking Tesla you can get right now. As soon as I got in I was like hell no. It's still so big and some things are still like the original S. In fact, the items you can see in the photo with the yoke is all the new good stuff but the center console, doors, etc all were very old school. I put the suspension in the most aggressive settings and went out for a 20 minute drive. The yoke was a zero issue. I'm not sure if I like it more, but I had no negatives about it. I immediately did some U turns and 3 point turns and it was a zero problem. One thing I didn't like was how big and wide the yoke is, which is how the S steering wheel is as well. The three has a smaller wheel which is far sportier. Now this S, the long range, is about the same acceleration specs as my performance 3. I nailed it and it felt much slower, but at the same time gave me a fuzzy head feeling, something I experienced in the P100D S I drove years ago but not in my model 3. The acceleration was far less enjoyable somehow. Looking at the speedo you could see it was getting up to speed quickly but just didn't feel like it. This is in line with some people who have upgraded from a Model 3 P to a Model S Plaid and say the car, while being far quicker, doesn't feel much quicker if at all. The screen above the wheel I thought would be nice but it's kind of lame. It's just redundant information and felt very old school. I was very surprised by my impression that the single center screen is superior. The new center screen on the S is larger and able to tilt in different directions...that screen was absolutely awesome...especially being able to play Steam games on it. The haptic buttons on the yoke were ok. I probably prefer old school stalks but I expected to hate the buttons but didn't. It was fine. The visibility wasn't nearly as good as the 3 and I had to get the seat very high up to get a good sporting view of the road. Also, the brakes stopped fine but didn't have nice feel to it. This is a great car [the best?] for someone who doesn't care about how a car drives. It's a shame. It looks hot, has Steam, 400 range, all the goods, but just drives like a big old man car. Not for me. I'll keep waiting on that Roadster. Until then, IMHO the best car they make is the Model 3 P which can be had for $47k and that's insane because, seriously, I think it's the best car on the market today at any price.

IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG

There's nothing glamorous about any tesla right now. I'll freely admit that as a model 3 owner. (and i've driven the Plaid too).

It's like an Iphone .. everyone has one - you're not going to impress anyone trust me.

That being said there all great cars and it's more about what they offer to you as an owner - all models are great in their own way and I think nothing
beats S3XY as a daily driver for convenience, easy of use and cost of ownership.

If you're going to want something more exclusive you have to go german ICE (I came from that camp) where you can customize just about everything
with the car and are pampered with the best build quality bar none.

The front of the 3 is a deal breaker for me. Every time I looked at it in my garage I cringed . It’s like an ugly duck bill in the front, just goofy looking. But there are several angles of the 3 that I actually love that look amazing - just not the front end. If Tesla ever gets around to redesigning the exterior/body they front end is where they could gain the most customers. I would buy one again if they changed the front and added a second interior screen/ openable roof

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
There's nothing glamorous about any tesla right now. I'll freely admit that as a model 3 owner. (and i've driven the Plaid too).

It's like an Iphone .. everyone has one - you're not going to impress anyone trust me.
Maybe it's where you live, but people always ask about my S at grocery stores, the country club, etc. No one is asking anyone about their Mercedes or BMW. I get questions all of the time on speed, the yoke, if my car is faster than "X", range, charging costs, etc.

Now when I drive the Y, people treat it liked an inflated Civic. I'd never trade it for the 3 (3 is too small), but it's by far the worst car in Tesla's lineup. Terrible efficiency/rage, slower, louder...but I do like the room/height.

....No one wants to know the range of my Y.

There are maybe 3 refresh S/X in my area and hundreds of 3/Y...and for whatever reason a bunch of older S with 0 tint on their windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maaz
"people always ask about my S at grocery stores, the country club, etc. No one is asking anyone about their Mercedes or BMW. I get questions all of the time on speed, the yoke, if my car is faster than "X", range, charging costs, etc."

It might be nice for you in an ego-stroking kind of way to get these questions, but is that really what owning the car is about? Other people's impressions of you? Seems a little shallow to me. I prefer my M3P over the S I test drove because it feels less boaty. At my age I couldn't give a rat's butt what people at the country club think; I've only myself to please...

Dunno, but here in the Netherlands there are very little refresh Model S's. And even less Plaids. But frankly no one is noticing it's a "special" car. There are a lots of old Model S's driving around here, and no one is noticing the difference. On the other hand, that's also fun, because it's kind of a "sleeper". No one knows, until you beat everyone at the traffic lights, bassiccly every vehicle on the road is slower.

With that said. Whatever indeed. In the end you're the one driving the car. Who cares what other people think.

• Love
Reactions: MоdelPleb