Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage charging outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if there is a thread buried on this site about installing a charging outlet in your garage. I have not done a thorough search, and I figured I would keep the conversation fresh and keep the threads coming as we wait, wait, and wait some more for Model X.

In terms of price, what am I approximately looking at to install a proper charging outlet in my garage for my future Model X??

I have heard anywhere as low as $500-600, as well as upwards over $1,000.

Also, is the charging outlet 220V?

lThis thread is pretty much required reading and will answer your questions: FAQ-Home-Tesla-charging-infrastructure-Q-A (Thanks to FlasherZ for his work on that one!)

Using the search box (top right on the menu bar) showed up plenty of threads such as:

NEMA-14-50-Installation

Installed-NEMA-14-50-in-garage

Can-I-install-a-NEMA-14-50-in-my-existing-circuit-panel-(Pics-included)

A-cautionary-tale-of-a-NEMA-14-50-installation

Ceiling-Install-of-NEMA-14-50-Outlet

Permit-for-NEMA-14-50-install

If you want to install a High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) use the search box and just enter "HPWC install".

My advice is to DEFINITELY get multiple bids. I had an independent electrician recommended by an MS owner give me an estimate of $1100. I called a electrical company that usually does commercial work and they ended up getting the job for $410 (and the estimate was over the phone!). BIG difference! The cost usually revolves around if any panel work needs to be done, and what the distance between the panel and the charging site is. My job was relatively easy...I had room and the required power, it was installed in an unfinished basement (no going through drywall, etc.) where the cable only had to go about 50' to the basement garage.

85kWh | Silver | Nappa Black Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | Tech | SubZero | Tech | Parking Sensors | Dual Chargers | Paint Armor | Parcel Shelf | Confirmed 4/22/14 awaiting delivery 6/26 |

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to redo my garage first and obviously have my charger in there by the time my X arrives. I will definitely get multiple bids. My garage is right next to my laundry room, although I'm not sure that helps at all with power and panels, etc. I'm no where close to being an electrician, so I'm just looking to better understand what the project entails ~ from a house and financial perspective.

Since you have time to accumulate some money to fund the project, I would seriously consider putting in an HPWC (now just called "wall connector"), instead of the cheaper NEMA 14-50 outlet. Even if you do not power it at the full 80A (100A circuit that many homes may not support), the much more robust cable and sealed connections will keep you trouble free. A LOT of us have had issues with the mobile connector (UMC) wall end overheating. Even though Tesla has attempted to address this, the solutions are not perfect, and others continue to have problems. It may double the cost in the short run, but well worth it in the long run. And as your far-flung friends get Tesla's and come visit, they will appreciate having a strong station to charge at your house!

Since you have time to accumulate some money to fund the project, I would seriously consider putting in an HPWC (now just called "wall connector"), instead of the cheaper NEMA 14-50 outlet. Even if you do not power it at the full 80A (100A circuit that many homes may not support), the much more robust cable and sealed connections will keep you trouble free. A LOT of us have had issues with the mobile connector (UMC) wall end overheating. Even though Tesla has attempted to address this, the solutions are not perfect, and others continue to have problems. It may double the cost in the short run, but well worth it in the long run. And as your far-flung friends get Tesla's and come visit, they will appreciate having a strong station to charge at your house!

I seriously considered just using the same 14-50 outlet that I had used without Toyota's permission with my RAV4EV for 6 years.

Sure, Tesla has had problems with the UMC. But paying $1200 more for the HPWC (plus another bundle for wiring it) was something I couldn't justify that easily. Do you not think that Tesla will get the UMC to work? It has worked for me already for 45,000 miles. I found a tiny evidence of melting once after using it at my brother's house: the voltage was near 250 instead of 220, but don't know if that did it. But Tesla replaced it immediately when I mentioned it. I bet they get it figured out.

In the mean time, I keep using it. My car will charge to full overnight even at 20 amps if I were to be that worried.

As to friends, They need to use the superchargers if they are out running around the country. If they still want a top up, 30 miles in an hour of charge ain't half bad when compared to my RAV. Some of them don't have dual inverters, so the HPWC would be useless to them. That's another $3600 you might be able to save. So it's not just something you install just because you like the looks: It's another 5 grand. Makes the UMC look better all the time.

There is nothing wrong with the UMC outside of the adapter, and they are working on that.

Also, when your getting bids from local electricians DO NOT tell them you are using the outlet for charging an EV. Many have encountered prejudice in pricing and often report 2X-5X the bid if they know you are going to be using it to charge an EV with it. This could be due to several reasons, the electrician figures you are getting some kind of tax credit and that they are somehow entitled to that via overcharging you for the install. The other is that they listen to too much Rush/Fox News etc and EVs are the downfall of the country and want to gouge you for your choices.

When getting a bid, just tell them you are getting this installed for a welding project or that you plan on getting a large air compressor that requires a 14-50 outlet.

The other is that they listen to too much Rush/Fox News etc and EVs are the downfall of the country and want to gouge you for your choices.

When getting a bid, just tell them you are getting this installed for a welding project or that you plan on getting a large air compressor that requires a 14-50 outlet.
That's an absurd comment. There may be a higher price from an electrician who knows you're buying a car that costs close to six figures, so you can afford to pay more and may not bother to shop around, but to suggest they charge more to punish you for buying a EV because they're anti-EV is just nonsense.

A suggestion for the OP is to not install an outlet now during your renovation but just have a conduit run for whatever you decide in the future when you get the car. That's what our electrician suggested when we remodeled a few years ago. They put a junction box in the wall in the garage where we would want an outlet/charging station located in the future and ran conduit in the wall to the panel. Then last year when we bought the Model S they came back to install the breaker and run wire in the conduit to the box where they installed a 14-50. The empty box and conduit keeps your options open for when you get the car.

Last edited:
A suggestion for the OP is to not install an outlet now during your renovation but just have a conduit run for whatever you decide in the future when you get the car. That's what our electrician suggested when we remodeled a few years ago. They put a junction box in the wall in the garage where we would want an outlet/charging station located in the future and ran conduit in the wall to the panel. Then last year when we bought the Model S they came back to install the breaker and run wire in the conduit to the box where they installed a 14-50. The empty box and conduit keeps your options open for when you get the car.

I gave the same advice to my brother who is finalizing the plans for his new house build. He is not ready to buy a Tesla yet but I am sure he will before long so I feel obligated to nudge him along. I'd add that it may be wise to specify 1-1/4" conduit instead of 1" normally used for a 14/50 installation so you can decide later if you want wire pulled for a full 100 amp HPWC or a 14/50. If you are any distance away from the panel you will need the larger size conduit for the heavier gauge wire the HPWC needs. The difference in cost between 1" and 1-1/4" conduit is insignificant and in this case bigger is better.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the 14-50 and a HPWC? Will the HPWC charge the vehicle faster? Is it any more reliable or safer than the 14-50?

In general, do you think most Tesla owners go with the 14-50 for home charging? Or is the HPWC becoming more commonplace among owners?

What is the difference between the 14-50 and a HPWC? Will the HPWC charge the vehicle faster? Is it any more reliable or safer than the 14-50?

In general, do you think most Tesla owners go with the 14-50 for home charging? Or is the HPWC becoming more commonplace among owners?

Start on the Tesla Motors Charging page. If you read that and browse the threads I listed earlier you should have everything you need.