Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gasoline fights back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
So, I was putting in my reservation for a Model 3 today. I tried paying by credit card but for some reason it wasn't working, so I had to go to the bank to make a wire transfer. Unfortunately, I got to the bank just a few minutes before it closed, and now won't be able to reserve until Monday. Why was my bank trip delayed? Because the gas light on my car came on; I had forgotten to go to a gas station recently and was almost out, so I had to stop on the way to the bank to fill up.

Gasoline, you may have won this round. But your days are numbered! ;)

Congrats, Karen.
Why did you wait until now to reserve ?

I had been hugely into EVs before, and had a reservation on an Aptera 2e and even started my own company making range-finding software for EVs. Then Aptera went bankrupt. And my company did too. And it was just a depressing topic. Other companies were making EVs, but they were not very interesting ones. Teslas were out of my price range, and after Aptera, every one I looked at (even the S's) just failed to capture my eye. I love aero and efficient design, and these were so.... conventional :Þ. I got myself a used Gen1 Insight instead because it was aero-on-the-cheap, so I could wait until an EV came out that picked up Aptera's spirit... but in general tried not to think about it too much because the whole history for me had been rather depressing.

It's been a long time since then. And while I've still not seen a vehicle that hits my aero sensibililities, the Model 3 is the closest try I've seen in a long time. The more I've seen of it, the more I've developed a soft spot for it. Versus the Model S it should have something like 70% of the CdA. Their target drag coefficient of 0.21 is bloody amazing for a rather "traditional" looking vehicle, but I can see all of the work they've put into achieving it. I'd still rather an Aptera-like 0.15, but... close enough. Meanwhile, my Insight has been racking up really high maintenance costs every year (and its pack has been dead for two years). Still has electrical problems that developed from persistent water leaks (just finished the third attempt to repair them). I had decided to get a used Model 3 several years down the road (when I'm done building my underground cave house), but then I discovered that the calculator at the customs office is wrong, it doesn't show the VAT deduction for EVs, which means that a new Model 3 is like $10k cheaper than I thought. And I'm in a country with the third most expensive gasoline on Earth. So everything together means that switching to a Model 3 will overall hardly cost me anything.... it should nearly pay back its entire cost in the 8-year warranty period.

So..... it's time. :)

I don't regret not doing it sooner. I'd actually like a 1 to 1 1/2 year delay. Let Tesla get its bugs out (every time I have to go to a service center will cost me $1k+ in ferry fees to Denmark). More time for charging stations here. More options available on the vehicle**. Etc. While I was glad to be an Aptera early adopter, I'm not in a good situation for being an early adopter for a Model 3. Mid to late next year, though.... yeah, that's a good time. :)

** - I'd like a tow hook so that I can get rid of my pickup truck too. I may want some "winterization" options, depending on what they are. I'm undecided about the glass roof... gorgeous, and some extra "solar heating" would be nice, but I want to know how the weight will affect range and what it will cost. No interest in more power. Probably not interested in extra range, because I'm sure it'd be expensive. Our speed limits are low here (90 km/h... about 60 mph), so the "highway" range will be hugely boosted versus the US (even after taking into account our "cool" (but not "cold") and windy climate)

Last edited:
Are there already some Tesla owners in Iceland?

Yeah, there was a Model S parked just across from my place a week ago. There's dozens here. That said, their share of EV purchases has been rather small, partly because the tax incentive cuts off before the price of a Model S (but would fully cover a Model 3), and partly because Tesla has no service centers or superchargers here. Having to send your car to Denmark for service is a pretty big disincentive, and our best chargers are a number of CHAdeMOs in a limited area. Overall however we're actually number 2 in Europe as a percentage of vehicle sales being EVs, over 5%. Having the world's third highest gas prices certainly helps ;)

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and GSP
Out of curiosity, how often do you forget to charge? I'd assume you'd have to forget to charge many days in a row (potentially even weeks, depending on your daily driving habits) to run out. E.g. 240mi range / 20 miles a day = 12 days.
Once, maybe twice, a month, usually after a long trip.
Got a Volt, so it just switches to Hybrid Mode.
Still painful enough to prevent me from forgetting again, for several weeks.

Hope to be better conditioned by the time I get my Tesla.

in europe when the light comes on you easily still have 80km or so left and pretty much all cars on top of that have another 4L reserve or so to get you another 50-60km.

I have 2016 Beetle, and the gas gauge behaves very strange when low. When the needle hits red (1/8 tank left), light comes on and the computer estimates about 100km/60miles range left. If I drive ~40-50km/~25-30miles, the needle is at 0 and the range estimate is 0 too. Gave me scare few times until I learned that when the lights comes, go next gas station. Not sure how much there's left after 0, no plan to try.

I had been hugely into EVs before, and had a reservation on an Aptera 2e and even started my own company making range-finding software for EVs. Then Aptera went bankrupt... And it was just a depressing topic.
I took the $500 reservation deposit Aptera returned to me and dropped it onto a res for this creature from Lit Motors. Looks aero and fun. Hope springs eternal.
Are electric motorcycles much of a thing in Iceland?