Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gate way no response. Reset gateway. - Stemmed from stranding incident - Anyone experience this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently experienced my 2015 Tesla Model S error saying to pull over with 50 miles left on the battery. A message popped up saying that there was low power. All said and done, when I retrieved my car a few days later from the Tesla service center, they said it was due to a gateway overload which they resetted. Anyone else experience this? Usually I would hear due to a 12v battery dying or a module of the main propulsion battery failing, but this was outside of it. When the tow truck came and tested the 12v battery, it was still full. And if it required a change of the main battery pack, the service would've taken longer I'd imagine. Just wanted to see if anyone else ran into this before. Note the conditions at the time were ~30 degrees F and that I also use my own dashcam plugged into the cigarette plug if that is of any relevance.

damn - i may test it again in the drive way and have it go to low battery levels to see if it retriggers.

See if you can bring a generator with you and during the last 10 miles or so just circle nearby your home so that when it does die, you only need 30 minutes or so to get enough to drive that last mile home. If you use a generator, you may need a ground to neutral jumper if it's not built in so the charger doesn't ground fault out.

Upvote 0
I actually just let the car sit for a little to ~50 miles so I could maybe drive around the neighborhood and see if it happens. This time, it only sat for about 1 day and lost 20 miles (went from 60 to 40). I had driven it the night before to 60 miles, hence how it started there. Turned it on and it said the error BMS_u018 "Maximum battery charge level reduced, OK to drive - Schedule service". We'll see where it goes from here.

Upvote 0