Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking brake errors, car often immobile, service WILL NOT COVER under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

Tesla Service San Diego would not budge on doing any work on the car with out me first paying for it; however, finally said they would refund me the $1,600 IF replacing the harness did NOT the problem. They went ahead and replaced the harness that the MobilEye was attached to but the car kept throwing the same errors. They continued doing further diagnostics and replaced something else, though my phone connection was spotty and I couldn't hear out the rest (some type of control unit?). I will report back once the car is picked up on Monday and I get a copy of the service record. Service also said that they have been driving the car around for the past week now without errors, but since this issue does not arise on a daily basis, who knows if it's actually fixed.

You need a friend with a big HAMMER...

I would File a claim with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair:
https://www.bar.ca.gov/

I did it for a car that had problems while the car was under warranty and the problem occurred again after the warrantee period ended.
The dealer was required to covered the out-of-warrantee repair 100%.

In the Tesla Model S "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" is the opportunity for a third party settlement:
Tesla will explore all possibilities for an amicable settlement. In case an amicable settlement is not
reached, Tesla offers a dispute settlement program through:

NATIONAL CENTER FOR DISPUTE SETTLEMENT (“NCDS”) P.O. Box 526 Mt. Clemens, MI 48046 1-866-629-3204
Tesla requires that you submit your dispute to our dispute settlement program and wait for a decision to be issued
prior to pursuing any remedy under federal or state laws (including 15 U.S.C. Section 2310 or California Civil Code
Section 1793.22(b)), although you may be entitled to pursue a remedy without submitting under certain state laws
or if you pursue any rights or remedies not created by these laws. This dispute settlement program administered by
NCDS is free of charge to you and is conducted by local NCDS professionals who are trained and experienced in
mediation and arbitration.

Also, the Better Business Bureau is another good support group for vehicle warrantee and automotive repair issues.

Thanks for the information.

True. However, given that I had the exact same problem on my completely unmodified Model S, it seems like it might not be his fault.

Tesla was never able to really find the problem on my car, either. At least that's what they told me.

Are you still getting any errors?

Last edited:
IMG_7035.JPG
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been getting this quite often when I first start driving the car and then it clears. Anything to worry about?

View attachment 218451 Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been getting this quite often when I first start driving the car and then it clears. Anything to worry about?
I've had it happen three times. I always recovered by putting it in drive and then park again. I asked my SC about it and they told me next time it happened to do a bug report via the voice system and then call them within a week so they could look at the logs. I'm taking it in for its two year service tomorrow and will talk to them about it. I will let you know if they do anything.

I've had it happen three times. I always recovered by putting it in drive and then park again. I asked my SC about it and they told me next time it happened to do a bug report via the voice system and then call them within a week so they could look at the logs. I'm taking it in for its two year service tomorrow and will talk to them about it. I will let you know if they do anything.
Thanks

Update:

Tesla Service San Diego would not budge on doing any work on the car with out me first paying for it; however, finally said they would refund me the $1,600 IF replacing the harness did NOT the problem. They went ahead and replaced the harness that the MobilEye was attached to but the car kept throwing the same errors. They continued doing further diagnostics and replaced something else, though my phone connection was spotty and I couldn't hear out the rest (some type of control unit?). I will report back once the car is picked up on Monday and I get a copy of the service record. Service also said that they have been driving the car around for the past week now without errors, but since this issue does not arise on a daily basis, who knows if it's actually fixed.

Any update on this? Did it stay fixed?

One of the reasons I am terrified to even add a subwoofer/amp to my car. 100% OEM 100% unmodified means I keep the warranty.

I see both sides on this, but it doesn't appear you modified any of the systems causing fault, and the fault existed well before modification.

One of the reasons I am terrified to even add a subwoofer/amp to my car. 100% OEM 100% unmodified means I keep the warranty.

I see both sides on this, but it doesn't appear you modified any of the systems causing fault, and the fault existed well before modification.
Tesla has to prove your modifications caused the specific component to not work as planned. They can't just blame you (yes they have in the past, but it's not legal).