Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Geico & Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gieco preferred vendor is Safelite but they don't seem to work on Tesla here in Los Angeles. In order for me to get Tesla to repair it, I would have to pay any labor over $40 per hour. Service center rate is $190/hr and they need 2 hours so I'm paying 300 to get my windshield replace!

Anyone else in the same boat here in LA?

If it is under your insurance, the cost of time and materials should be covered, no?

I have comprehensive coverage for all glass repair/replacement and I had to replace the front sunroof panel (twice) due to stones kicked up on the interstate. AmFam helped me find body shops and glass repair companies, such as Safe Lite, but none of them would touch it.

I had to take it to Tesla’s service center. Since my coverage is comprehensive, I didn’t pay a dime, but I had to front the cost of the bill and get reimbursed by AmFam just a few days later.

If it is under your insurance, the cost of time and materials should be covered, no?

I have comprehensive coverage for all glass repair/replacement and I had to replace the front sunroof panel (twice) due to stones kicked up on the interstate. AmFam helped me find body shops and glass repair companies, such as Safe Lite, but none of them would touch it.

I had to take it to Tesla’s service center. Since my coverage is comprehensive, I didn’t pay a dime, but I had to front the cost of the bill and get reimbursed by AmFam just a few days later.

Yup- same thing here with USAA.... they use safelite- but safeline here doesn't do Tesla- so I told USAA I had to take it to Tesla and they said go ahead and send us the bill, then they sent me a check for full amount.

I would think so but I believe geico handles it differently. This is my first glass claim with them and I do too, have 0 deductible for glass. However the coverage only up to $40 is disheartening since tesla doesn't work with insurance.

I don’t believe there are aftermarkets for them. Safe life gets it from Tesla.
I spoke at length w/ the Safelite guy who came to do my wife's Mazda a few months back - he seemed very experienced. Said that they definitely made aftermarket glass for Tesla, which was OEM quality, and having it done by Safelite lops $4K off the Tesla trade-in value if you go non-Tesla.

He also said he was the one who trained the techs to do glass repairs at the local SC, and that they were all complete noobs.

I spoke at length w/ the Safelite guy who came to do my wife's Mazda a few months back - he seemed very experienced. Said that they definitely made aftermarket glass for Tesla, which was OEM quality, and having it done by Safelite lops $4K off the Tesla trade-in value if you go non-Tesla.

He also said he was the one who trained the techs to do glass repairs at the local SC, and that they were all complete noobs.
Good to know! Out of curiosity, how would anyone else know that you replaced the windshield during trade in? Only you and the company servicing your car would know that, right? Would this be found on a Car Fax report?

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev and iamnid
Well I spoke to two safelite near my home and they don’t do Tesla’s.

Geico will be covering the entire bill for Tesla.
Unless there is something in your policy that says they only cover up to $40/hr, they'll definitely have to fork over more unless they can find a vendor who will do it for less than $120 or whatever the SC charges. They can't force you to use a certain shop/repair facility, but they do only owe for what's reasonable for labor. But if no other place can do it for less, then that price is reasonable.

And besides the window glass, what about the top pieces? Are they covered?
It's part of the comprehensive insurance so i don't see why not.

Unless there is something in your policy that says they only cover up to $40/hr, they'll definitely have to fork over more unless they can find a vendor who will do it for less than $120 or whatever the SC charges. They can't force you to use a certain shop/repair facility, but they do only owe for what's reasonable for labor. But if no other place can do it for less, then that price is reasonable.
Yep..

Additional information about Labor rates: Based on the National Auto Glass Specifications pricing guide, GEICO pays the prevailing competitive labor rate of $40 per hour for glass replacement. You will not be reimbursed for labor rates over $40 per hour.

Interesting how different all the experiences are. I live in the Seattle area, and had my windshield replaced about six months ago. I'm insured by State Farm. They recommended Safelite in Everett, WA which is where I took the car. They had to order the windshield from Tesla (they said no aftermarket options were even available then), and they did a remarkable job. It took about two weeks to get the windshield, but Satellite did a beautiful job on it. I saw the invoice to State Farm, and it was just over a $1,600 bill. I have $0 deductible comprehensive, by the way.

Interesting how different all the experiences are. I live in the Seattle area, and had my windshield replaced about six months ago. I'm insured by State Farm. They recommended Safelite in Everett, WA which is where I took the car. They had to order the windshield from Tesla (they said no aftermarket options were even available then), and they did a remarkable job. It took about two weeks to get the windshield, but Satellite did a beautiful job on it. I saw the invoice to State Farm, and it was just over a $1,600 bill. I have $0 deductible comprehensive, by the way.

It’s frustrating, frankly. I made a point to tell the company in a customer experience survey that they really need to catch up with the times and start working with Tesla to ensure I don’t have to pay out of pocket. That’s why I am paying for zero-deductible comprehensive coverage. If I don’t get all the rights and privileges of thereof, the value is diminished.

I also noted that Tesla now has their own insurance and that they now need to compete with it. (I honestly have no idea how good the coverage is, but that’s neither here nor there.) AmFam needs to step up their game.

It’s frustrating, frankly. I made a point to tell the company in a customer experience survey that they really need to catch up with the times and start working with Tesla to ensure I don’t have to pay out of pocket. That’s why I am paying for zero-deductible comprehensive coverage. If I don’t get all the rights and privileges of thereof, the value is diminished.

I also noted that Tesla now has their own insurance and that they now need to compete with it. (I honestly have no idea how good the coverage is, but that’s neither here nor there.) AmFam needs to step up their game.

AFAIK Tesla insurance is only in California right now.

And FWIW I'd love if more insurance claims forced you to front the $ and then cut you a check, so long as the check is prompt... that's thousands more spend on reward credit cards I get from spending I don't actually have to pay for.

It means I technically made a (small) profit on getting my windshield replaced because USAA did the same thing- I had to put it on my card, then they gave me the $

Reactions: JBT66