Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini, Induction, or Uberturbine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our LR Model Y two weeks ago. We currently have the Gemini wheels. I'm thinking about swapping them out for Induction or Uberturbine. Here are my questions:
- can Uberturbine even go on LR? The app says they are only compatible with Performance.
- which wheel/tire set provides the smoothest ride?
- which wheel/tire set handles the best in winter conditions?
- which wheel/tire set provides the most clearance? (we have a sloped driveway)
- any other pros/cons for any of the sets?
Thank you!!

Generally:

-The smaller the wheels, the smoother the ride

-The more sidewall (fatter looking tire) the smoother the ride.

-Best winter tires would be winter specific tires but you'll have to change them out in summer or else risk ruining them early. All weather tires would be next best in winter condition and would be suitable for year-round use, All season tires are close behind but not quite as good in winter (these are usually the type of tires that come stock on most cars) and summer tires would be the worst as you might guess.

-When it comes to clearance, there's two metrics... the larger the wheel/tire combo, the more ground clearance you'll have (distance between ground and the bottom of your car). That's probably what you're concerned about due to the comment about the driveway. The other metric is wheel-well clearance which is the distance between the top of your tires to the arch of the body of the car where the tires/wheels sit in. Typically neither of these will be an issue with any of the wheels you're considering if you're on stock suspension. This is generally only a major concern for lowered cars or cars with crazy modified wheels.
I have induction wheels and there's still a significant gap (several inches) in the wheel wells so I can't imagine you'd have any issue with larger 21" wheels. I also have OEM mud flaps on the car which leaves only a couple of inches of ground clearance. Again, I've had no real issues with them scraping on any surfaces. You'll be fine with any of the three wheel choices.

Upvote 0
- can Uberturbine even go on LR? The app says they are only compatible with Performance.
- which wheel/tire set provides the smoothest ride?
- which wheel/tire set handles the best in winter conditions?
- which wheel/tire set provides the most clearance? (we have a sloped driveway)
- any other pros/cons for any of the sets?
Yes, the 21" Ubers can be used on the Long Range Model Y with no fit issues.

Generally the 19" Gemini wheels are considered to have the smoothest ride compared to the 20" Induction or 21" Uberturbine wheels.

For winter driving you want as much sidewall as possible and a winter tire (not all-season tire.) The additional sidewall can help minimize the chance of damaging a wheel or tire when encountering a pot hole.

Clearance should be the same for the 19" 20" and 21" wheels as long as you use the OE tire sizes

The 19" Gemini wheels, OE tires can be ~7% more efficient that the 20" wheels. The 20" wheels can be ~7% more efficient that the 21" wheels. Typically you lose ~10% efficiency with the 21" Uberturbine wheels as these wheels are much heavier than either the 19" Gemini or 20" Induction wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Reactions: She Lazz
Upvote 0
The wheel size has nothing to do with ground clearance. The Performance is a half inch lower, but that's a difference in the spring height. In fact the rubber top of tire to bottom of tire is the same diameter regardless of the wheel size, only the amount of rubber sidewall is different. This way, there is no recalibration needed for speedometer, odometer, range, etc. There is a way to pick your wheel in the setup screen, but that is more for range calculation due to the different aerodynamic properties of the different wheels. Circumference is identical for all three, and therefore so is the center of all three.

1646762503290.png

Upvote 0
With the three stock setups available, yes, that is correct. The stock setups are such that they reduce the sidewall height in proportion as the wheel size increases. With any of the stock setups, only changing the suspension would ultimately change your ground clearance. But if you were to put the same height rubber on all 3 wheels, the total height would end up different and you end up with different clearances.

The stock wheel/tires come as follows:

19" wheels come with 255/45-19 (104W)
20" wheels come with 255/40-20 XL (101W)
21" wheels (front) come with 255/35-21 XL (98W) Front, 275/35-21 XL (103W) Rear

Key to reading the numbers on tire size:
tire width / sidewall aspect ratio - compatible rim size (weight/service rating)

45, 40, and 35 indicate sidewall height (notice the sidewalls get smaller as the wheels get larger).

This ends up such that each combo has the same overall combined size and therefore no change in ground clearance or calibration needed.

However, if you for example put tires with a 35 height onto the 19" wheels and 45 height onto the 21" wheels, there will be a noticeable height difference between the two and affect ground clearance.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0
If you are trying to decide between the Gemini, Induction, and Ubers, and you plan to run a square setup with whatever wheel you go for... I would lean towards the Inductions... I say that, because between the three, the inductions have the widest selection of tires available, particularly if you go with 255/45-20. On top of that, between the three, the 20" tires (at least for the tires I was interested in), are actually cheaper in 20" than they are for 19" or 21", such as the Pilot Sport AS4 and Conti DWS 06-Plus.

Upvote 0
So, has anyone in the UK had experience of reasonable distance driving, say 30 miles plus, in mixed town and motorway conditions, of each wheel; Gemini and Induction on a Model Y Long Range. I would love to know your (and your co-pilot's) thoughts.

I would put up with any increased firmness of the 20" if they were bright silver. I know how popular black wheels have become but I just can't warm to them.

Upvote 0
Gemini + Rimetrix.

I think this is the cheapest, best-looking, and most efficient wheel combination for any version of Model Y (standard range, long-range, performance). Gives you all the benefits of the softer ride + longer range of the 19" wheel.. with the looks of a bigger/black wheel.. and the extra wheel protection that is really needed on all Teslas. It is so easy to scrape up the edges of the wheels on these cars.. and this is where the Rimetrix covers shine.. they completely cover the entire wheel.

With the plastic Rimetrix cover, worst come to worst.. you can easily replace it.

1651594547012.png

Attachments

• 1651594467209.png
    1651594467209.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 566
Upvote 0
With the three stock setups available, yes, that is correct. The stock setups are such that they reduce the sidewall height in proportion as the wheel size increases. With any of the stock setups, only changing the suspension would ultimately change your ground clearance. But if you were to put the same height rubber on all 3 wheels, the total height would end up different and you end up with different clearances.

The stock wheel/tires come as follows:

19" wheels come with 255/45-19 (104W)
20" wheels come with 255/40-20 XL (101W)
21" wheels (front) come with 255/35-21 XL (98W) Front, 275/35-21 XL (103W) Rear

Key to reading the numbers on tire size:
tire width / sidewall aspect ratio - compatible rim size (weight/service rating)

45, 40, and 35 indicate sidewall height (notice the sidewalls get smaller as the wheels get larger).

This ends up such that each combo has the same overall combined size and therefore no change in ground clearance or calibration needed.

However, if you for example put tires with a 35 height onto the 19" wheels and 45 height onto the 21" wheels, there will be a noticeable height difference between the two and affect ground clearance.
Can you tell me the overall rolling diameter of the 19' Gemini wheels. I don't have the car yet . I want to buy a thinner wheel with the correct wheel + tyre combination as a spare. I did that for the X3 (awful run flats) and have not had a puncture since:)

Upvote 0
I hear that would also increase the curb rash protection, any guess on the efficiency hit you'd get with the 275's vs 255's?
I'd guesstimate it might be similar to running the big Ubertines. Like for ex. the gain from downsizing to Geminis (or similar lighter setup) from Ubertines is around the range of 20wh/m reduction in energy use, so going to wider tires will cause an increase in energy use but then you gain more tire protection, more tire damping, and now have actual curb protection for that energy cost.

Upvote 0
Can you tell me the overall rolling diameter of the 19' Gemini wheels. I don't have the car yet . I want to buy a thinner wheel with the correct wheel + tyre combination as a spare. I did that for the X3 (awful run flats) and have not had a puncture since:)
19 inch OE tire size is 255/45R-19, XL 104

Tire Size Comparison Calculator

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0