Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3: "A strong family resemblance [to the Model S]"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a manufacturer I used to watch, but I think Hyundai/Kia have been doing some interesting things lately.
kia1.jpg

blue2.jpg

Not a manufacturer I used to watch, but I think Hyundai/Kia have been doing some interesting things lately.
View attachment 23440
View attachment 23441
I agree, they have really stepped up their game both interior and exterior in the last couple years. Unfortunately their hybrids are horrible right now and they don't have an electric car at all. It might surprise some, but the truth is the truth, oh, and it's really just my opinion...If Hyundai came out with an electric car, it would likely be a tough competitor for Tesla, much more so than Ford, GM, Toyota or any of the luxury brands.

I think I may be in the minority here as I'm not a real fan of sedans, but I'll be holding out for the SUV version of the Gen III, for which my current standard visually is the Subaru Crosstrek:
Sub_Crosstrek_white.jpg

I was about to buy one, but got sucked into the world of Tesla just before I pulled the trigger. Now I'm going to wait a whole 4-5 years for something I don't even know what it will look like. Of course I'm so in love with the technology they could probably wrap it in the body of a Gremlin and I'd still buy it:
gremlin.jpg

Timely. Though Tesla suggested they might be more original with the Gen III styling, I'd be very happy with something like this:

Could the Next Tesla Look Like This?
Along the lines of an Audi A3. Given how much Tesla has talked about the low drag coefficient of the Model S, I don't know if a squared-off hatchback like this is too aerodynamically inefficient.

Works for me. Can I place my order for it now?:smile:

I assume that's supposed to be the Gen III SUV as opposed to the hatchback? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Don't know if the designer had a premonition, but I think the conventional wisdom is that the first iteration will be a sedan, so the second being an SUV or crossover could look something like this - of course I'd be fine if both the 2WD and 4WD looked like that, but I'd still wait for the 4WD.

Having owned two compact hatches, I really like the looks of this, but at this stage in my life, I'd be more interested in something along the lines of the 3 GT. Definitely all for a 5-door, but more of a grand touring style. Literally like a scaled-down Model S.

View attachment 23632

I realize I should have posted actual images, or at least one from the article. Btw, the Photoshop/doctoring design work is apparently by Theophilus Chin. Sweet!

Having owned two compact hatches, I really like the looks of this, but at this stage in my life, I'd be more interested in something along the lines of the 3 GT. Definitely all for a 5-door, but more of a grand touring style. Literally like a scaled-down Model S.

I see your point, although functionality-wise there really isn't much difference, just a bit longer in the butt. I actually have a SAAB 900 now, and that and the BMW 3GT are as you suggest slightly smaller versions of the Model S - basically a hatchback-sedan (I'm sure there's car-lingo for the type), which are great blends of style and functionality. It parses multiple car worlds and this appears to be Tesla's genius in breaking down barriers between categories - with performance in the electric drivetrain, but in turn with the style and functionality. So if Gen III were a sedan/hatchback/SUV crossover that would be pretty cool!

The again, I know I'm going to buy it no matter what the hell it looks like!

I'm with you. I'm really excited for the Gen-III whatever form it takes.

I'm with you, and I think many are in this camp. All of these idea offerings are largely "nice to haves" and ideas to make the car even more compelling. But if they deliver on the mechanicals the style would have to be horrific to screw it up. A mini-S would be fine.

I'm one who would like to see some minor mods to the S in the Gen 3 (other than putting it on a diet). I think the Theophilus version Darko linked in does some of that. I like it. The front/nose and back are shorter, relatively speaking. I also like the shooting brake design or a wagon. But a sedan will almost surely be offered before such a design.

View attachment 23632

I realize I should have posted actual images, or at least one from the article. Btw, the Photoshop/doctoring design work is apparently by Theophilus Chin. Sweet!

Now THAT is the Tesla I would buy in an instant.

By the way, that Theophilus Chin is the same guy who did the great looking Wagon Version of the S.
He really should work on Tesla's design team!

Now THAT is the Tesla I would buy in an instant.

By the way, that Theophilus Chin is the same guy who did the great looking Wagon Version of the S.
He really should work on Tesla's design team!

Here is the Theophilus version overlaid against the existing Model S, as well as the sedan I photoshopped.
adjustments w theophilus.jpg

I agree, Eric, that the crossover/shooting brake/wagon will not be the first version released, but it may be offered eventually. With the heavy chopping of the back end I think the extra storage might be valued by buyers. In fact, it really doesn't add much vertically to the S on the back end as much as it is just cutting off the last foot or so of the taper.

Also, I size adjusted this to have the same wheelbase for the Theophilus version compared to the Model S. With that adjustment, his version is actually about two inches higher than the Model S if you keep the proportions and match the wheelbase. If one were to make the height the same and shrink the wheelbase a little, it would make the car even shorter in length, and then the storage shrinks even more.