Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger - Can I get data from it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my Wall Connector installed yesterday, and I used these calls to verify that it's set up properly, since I have no car with which to test it ... yet!

To configure the Wall connector, I believe you need to connect to its Hotspot, using the password on the QuickStart pamphlet you received (see here for instructions); you can't do that via your wifi network. But, for getting data off of the Wall connected, the above API endpoints work well.

Props to anyone who finds some new endpoints not listed above.

To configure the Wall connector, I believe you need to connect to its Hotspot, using the password on the QuickStart pamphlet you received (see here for instructions); you can't do that via your wifi network. But, for getting data off of the Wall connected, the above API endpoints work well.

Props to anyone who finds some new endpoints not listed above.
Correct, the Wall Connector's web interface is the only way to change its configuration. But the API endpoints you provided deliver much more information than the web interface AND are accessible via the local network, so a double win! Thanks again for posting them!

I can only ping the IP if login to the wall connector access point with the wpa2 password. Pinging the IP through my home WiFi gateway does not work.
I got the api working. One problem solved!

Looking at the lifetime api the energy_wh it reads 317 after the first charge of my M3LR. I’m not sure how to read this because I charged from 30% capacity (~100mi range) to 84% capacity (~300 mi range). 317 wh is way to little and 317 kwh is way too much. So what are the correct units?

Interestingly, the charge_starts says 31 despite this being the first time I charged. So I’m wondering if Tesla did some verification testing before shipping? If so that could explain 317kwh for the energy_wh output.

Is there an api for the last charge cycle stats vs. only having the lifetime api?

I got the api working. One problem solved!

Looking at the lifetime api the energy_wh it reads 317 after the first charge of my M3LR. I’m not sure how to read this because I charged from 30% capacity (~100mi range) to 84% capacity (~300 mi range). 317 wh is way to little and 317 kwh is way too much. So what are the correct units?

Interestingly, the charge_starts says 31 despite this being the first time I charged. So I’m wondering if Tesla did some verification testing before shipping? If so that could explain 317kwh for the energy_wh output.

Is there an api for the last charge cycle stats vs. only having the lifetime api?
Ok, so I went to my states smart meter website to review my home energy usage to see what I could extrapolate for charging the M3LR battery. Below is the daily plot of home usage. The battery started to be charged on 12/29 and completed the morning of 12/30. Based on the days before and after, it appears the battery charge was ~30kwh. So what it appears is that session_energy_wh (and lifetime energy_wh) is sort of in kwh, but the decimal is one place off…. 317.000 = 31.7 kwh.

Does this seem right to everyone?

Attachments

• B2455D30-311A-4F3C-8298-53F5A9960125.png
    B2455D30-311A-4F3C-8298-53F5A9960125.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 473
Reactions: dilly28
So the Tesla Wall Charger has its own API that is accessible on your local intranet, but does not publish to the internet? I ask because there are solar panel inverters that have API’s and also publish data to the internet, but requires API key to access. These inverters also have an app that displays the data, too (SolarEdge, EnPhase). I was hoping the wall charging unit I buy has a API and an app.

So the Tesla Wall Charger has its own API that is accessible on your local intranet, but does not publish to the internet? I ask because there are solar panel inverters that have API’s and also publish data to the internet, but requires API key to access. These inverters also have an app that displays the data, too (SolarEdge, EnPhase). I was hoping the wall charging unit I buy has a API and an app.

Whether the API is accessible only on your LAN or over the internet is entirely up to your home Router.

ATM, there is no publicly-available app that displays the data from the API. But lots of us have slapped-together something rough-'n-ready to display the data we are interested in.

What am I doing wrong here? In http://wall.connector.uri/api/1/lifetime I have replaced wall.connector.uri with the IP of my wall connector.
The readings for energy_wh" is 53779220 which is insane. It means that I have charged 53779.22 kWh. In other words, I have charged my model 3, 717 times from 0-100% ???
I have only charged my BMW i3 (30ish times) and Model 3 , 3 times for maybe, total of 60%

all the readings are:

{"contactor_cycles":511,

"contactor_cycles_loaded":4,

"alert_count":26579,

"thermal_foldbacks":0,

"avg_startup_temp":5.6,

"charge_starts":511,

"energy_wh":53779220,

"connector_cycles":144,

"uptime_s":27581277,

"charging_time_s":1494391}

What am I doing wrong here? In http://wall.connector.uri/api/1/lifetime I have replaced wall.connector.uri with the IP of my wall connector.
The readings for energy_wh" is 53779220 which is insane. It means that I have charged 53779.22 kWh. In other words, I have charged my model 3, 717 times from 0-100% ???
I have only charged my BMW i3 (30ish times) and Model 3 , 3 times for maybe, total of 60%

all the readings are:

{"contactor_cycles":511,

"contactor_cycles_loaded":4,

"alert_count":26579,

"thermal_foldbacks":0,

"avg_startup_temp":5.6,

"charge_starts":511,

"energy_wh":53779220,

"connector_cycles":144,

"uptime_s":27581277,

"charging_time_s":1494391}
I too would question the numbers. It looks like you have used a lot of power per session.

This is from my EVSE:
{
"contactor_cycles": 1576,
"contactor_cycles_loaded": 57,
"alert_count": 24,
"thermal_foldbacks": 2,
"avg_startup_temp": 14.6,
"charge_starts": 1576,
"energy_wh": 9476955,
"connector_cycles": 924,
"uptime_s": 72383790,
"charging_time_s": 3274422
}

Another baseline to compare against:

{
"contactor_cycles": 1333,
"contactor_cycles_loaded": 42,
"alert_count": 13,
"thermal_foldbacks": 0,
"avg_startup_temp": 29,
"charge_starts": 1333,
"energy_wh": 2580994,
"connector_cycles": 205,
"uptime_s": 21246962,
"charging_time_s": 781734
}

Thanks for the API information, very helpful. I was also disappointed to learn that there is not dedicated app, web interface or native integration (within the Tesla app). I'm assuming this might come one day. In the meantime, since the API is available on the local network, I can rely on the integration with Home Assistant to get a convenient dashboard.

Reactions: kayak1