Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid red light after power outage on Wall Connector gen 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Managed to get in touch with tesla last week. Had a family member call on my behalf...so I wasn't able to ask the questions I wanted to.

First of all, not sure how it is in the states, but where I live in Canada, it is next to impossible to get support on the phone. We finally got through on the phone but had to call the local sales centre, where a rep transferred us to the charging dept. They had not received my email, but were able to remotely access the wall charger and see that it wasn't working.

Was told a new charger will be shipped to me. I have to ship the old one back to them, but they don't need to send an electrician to inspect anything. Wasn't talking to them directly so couldn't ask more questions, but apparently they got many calls from customers with the same issue after the power outage we had. I'm not really sure what was wrong with my unit, but I'm assuming the power outage fried something in the unit. Hopefully this is a hardware issue they have fixed and the new unit I will be receiving won't have the same problem.

Managed to get in touch with tesla last week. Had a family member call on my behalf...so I wasn't able to ask the questions I wanted to.

First of all, not sure how it is in the states, but where I live in Canada, it is next to impossible to get support on the phone. We finally got through on the phone but had to call the local sales centre, where a rep transferred us to the charging dept. They had not received my email, but were able to remotely access the wall charger and see that it wasn't working.

Was told a new charger will be shipped to me. I have to ship the old one back to them, but they don't need to send an electrician to inspect anything. Wasn't talking to them directly so couldn't ask more questions, but apparently they got many calls from customers with the same issue after the power outage we had. I'm not really sure what was wrong with my unit, but I'm assuming the power outage fried something in the unit. Hopefully this is a hardware issue they have fixed and the new unit I will be receiving won't have the same problem.
I was able to chat online with them. Not sure if that's an option in Canada but it was fairly painless. You just had to go through the troubleshooting steps first and then you got the option to chat. Same thing, they are sending me a new unit which I hope shows up this week. Glad I had the mobile charger as a backup.

I was able to chat online with them. Not sure if that's an option in Canada but it was fairly painless. You just had to go through the troubleshooting steps first and then you got the option to chat. Same thing, they are sending me a new unit which I hope shows up this week. Glad I had the mobile charger as a backup.
OhioBobcat from Athens Ohio?
No one wants to go thru a wall charger replacement just for fun. Tesla should go ahead -after initial discussion of the issue- and send a replacement and request a return of the old one.

I had the red LED yesterday after a brief power outage the night before. I went home on my lunch hour and flipped the breaker off for a few mins, long enough for me to find the install paperwork. Once back on, I logged into the wall units WiFi. It did show an internal fault and an update available. I proceeded with the update and it cycled through the LEDs. Now it’s back to green and working properly.

I’m keeping an eye on it, but the internal fault message is gone. So we’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: MatthewMichael
I had the red LED yesterday after a brief power outage the night before. I went home on my lunch hour and flipped the breaker off for a few mins, long enough for me to find the install paperwork. Once back on, I logged into the wall units WiFi. It did show an internal fault and an update available. I proceeded with the update and it cycled through the LEDs. Now it’s back to green and working properly.

I’m keeping an eye on it, but the internal fault message is gone. So we’ll see how it goes.
Glad that worked for you! Update on my situation in the main thread.

Found this thread because the same thing happened to me tonight with my gen3 connector. Power outage for 3 hours, and power is back on with just a solid red light. Something seems very flaky about these units if we have to replace the hardware every time the power blips.

I tried the circuit break off-on 3 times thing, nothing. No WiFi search mode from holding down the button. I have no idea where my QuickStart guide is, so now I’ll have to call Tesla anyway to try and get my WPA2 password. I only had this installed a few weeks ago.

Found this thread because the same thing happened to me tonight with my gen3 connector. Power outage for 3 hours, and power is back on with just a solid red light. Something seems very flaky about these units if we have to replace the hardware every time the power blips.

I tried the circuit break off-on 3 times thing, nothing. No WiFi search mode from holding down the button. I have no idea where my QuickStart guide is, so now I’ll have to call Tesla anyway to try and get my WPA2 password. I only had this installed a few weeks ago.
I was able to chat with them and it was fairly painless to get a replacement. I thought there was a label on the back of the unit that had the password? You may have to unscrew it from the wall, which isn’t too terrible if you have the right hex tool to take it off (I think the hex bit came in the box).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just chatted with them too. They are sending a replacement. But for the next 1.5 weeks I gotta charge on 120V. :rolleyes:

Is this going to happen after every freaking power outage? I should've just kept my 14-50 outlet and the mobile connector. I only had the WC installed last December.
I also have a whole-home surge suppressor, which didn't trip, so I doubt it was the surge from power coming back on.

Reactions: OhioBobcat
I just chatted with them too. They are sending a replacement. But for the next 1.5 weeks I gotta charge on 120V. :rolleyes:

Is this going to happen after every freaking power outage? I should've just kept my 14-50 outlet and the mobile connector. I only had the WC installed last December.
I also have a whole-home surge suppressor, which didn't trip, so I doubt it was the surge from power coming back on.
Yeah, I was in the same boat. I haven’t had a power blip since I installed the new one so we’ll see.

I have had the replacement wall connector up and running for about 3 weeks now. No problems so far and I have had another power outage since then. I turned the WC breaker off at the panel when the power went out, and turned it back on after power was restored. Its working fine so far, so hopefully my first unit just happened to be dud.

Reactions: OhioBobcat
I have had the replacement wall connector up and running for about 3 weeks now. No problems so far and I have had another power outage since then. I turned the WC breaker off at the panel when the power went out, and turned it back on after power was restored. Its working fine so far, so hopefully my first unit just happened to be dud.
I wonder if they know there is an issue with a batch of them because they were really quick to replace mine.

My replacement will be here in a couple days, but curiously, 2 days ago my light went back to solid green on its own.

I haven't tried charging with it, and I'm still going to do the swap. Meanwhile I'm getting by on 120V charging.
But somehow the fault was cleared out, maybe Tesla pushed a firmware update?

OK, some updates/tips after having just performed the swap. Some of this will be obvious to those who did the original installation themselves, but I had an electrician install mine, so this was new to me.

1) The instructions say you just need a screwdriver. Nope. You need a bit driver and the special bit that is included with the wall connector.

2) It was very difficult to separate the new replacement unit from its wall bracket out of the box— I had to use my iFixit suction cup on the back of the wall mount because there’s nothing to grab on to. It’s the same suction cup I use to remove the center caps from my 18” wheels.

3) My replacement’s charging cable was tightly coiled in the opposite direction of where it needed to be in order to use the built in hanger. Thanks Tesla. Had to completely straighten it out and coil the other way (a bit tricky with a cold cable).

4) Got the spinning circle of death on the setup page during commissioning. Got around this by turning off private WiFi address on my iPhone for the WC’s WiFi network, re-connecting to the WC’s access point, and then refreshing the page 3 or 4 times. Eventually it loaded. Set up the WiFi network, it did a firmware update, and set the breaker amperage. Easy peasy.

5) Have fun getting the original unit back in the box!