Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen. 3 Wall Charger change in behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using a Gen 3 wall charger for my model y for about 3 months. For the first 2 months, after plugging in the charge port light turned blinking blue for a second or two then turned blinking green when charging started. Now, when I plug in, the charge port light turns solid blue for 3-10 seconds (screen says "charging stopped), then turns blinking green and charges normally. Does this charge indicate any problem? Not sure if I should call Tesla. Anybody see anything similar?

Very interesting that we are experiencing this same behavior so thank you for posting about it because we were about to do the same. We are still seeking anyone's insight concerning this matter before submitting a service request. Fortunately it still charges our MYP with no apparent issues as far as we can tell but still don't like how the initial connecting charging behavior changed to what you described above. Our MYP is a June '22 build and delivery.

Reactions: OmegaMan
A solid blue light indicates that the Wall Connector is communicating with the vehicle. Try cycling the circuit breaker for the charging circuit and see if the Wall Connector continues to display the blue light for longer than it did when new. If you press the button on the Tesla charging connector while the Wall Connector is displaying the solid blue light the Wall Connector should immediately begin charging.

Very interesting that we are experiencing this same behavior so thank you for posting about it because we were about to do the same. We are still seeking anyone's insight concerning this matter before submitting a service request. Fortunately it still charges our MYP with no apparent issues as far as we can tell but still don't like how the initial connecting charging behavior changed to what you described above. Our MYP is a June '22 build and delivery.
It started about 5 days ago. How long for you. I have a 22 MYLR.

Here's another thread where folks are experiencing the same issue. For me, it started when 2022.40.4.1 was installed. Another member wondered if it was weather related (cold). Could be a combination of the two.

I posted this on another thread. I was experiencing a change in charging behavior on my Gen 3/MY. Here's what I discovered:

Nov 15:
I was having a similar issue. Gen 3 Wall charger. 2021 MY, 25,000 miles. Two weeks ago, after update 2022.36.2, The wall unit would charge for 3 to 5 minutes and stop. No alerts, no errors. I used my portable charger and it worked fine. Took a road trip to LA 1,000 miles round trip (no issues). Used my portable charger at the AirBB (no problem). Returned home - Gen 3 wall charger failed - used my mobile and charged 60% with no problems.
I received updates today(Nov 15): 2022.40.4.1 was uploaded to my Y and a firmware update, 22.41.1, to my charger. I'll report back tomorrow.
notes: I'm using the "Wall Monitor" App on my iPhone. I've done resets on the Wall unit and my car.

Nov 16th:
My charger is back to being reliable. Programmed charging started at 12:01, last night, and charged uninterrupted to the set 80%. It started at 42%. Hopefully, the MY update (2022.40.4.1) or the Wall Unit firmware update (2.41.1) solved the charging issue(s) I experienced.

Nov 19th:
Just a follow-up of the follow-up. Last night charging started as scheduled and was completed, without stopping at 80% (was at 62%). I also did a quick 5% charge during off-peak - quickly charged the 5%. I'm assuming the issue was software related.

Nov 20th:
Charged from 60% to 80% as scheduled. No interruption. Behavior back to normal

This is very interesting ... I am coming from Mach-e; there was a lot of people who were complaining about third party app interfering with FordApp iP protocol. This had become an issue here in FL with Duke Energy customers, specially for those who have opted on Duke Energy's OFF PEAK Charging program for EVs. Duke Energy engages a third party to monitor through the app for program compliance, this monitoring triggered as security breach by FordApp, even though you had consented by giving the account log in and password ... so I was wondering if something like this was the cause ... or whether a third party app was being used?