Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger Power Sharing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 and a Model Y on order. Under the information for the new wall charger it says power sharing via WiFi coming soon by software update. Is this already available ? I have an electrician coming next week and didn’t know if he was going to need to set up the 2nd wall charger to a separate breaker or connect to the current one. Thanks.

Each new Wall Connector with WiFi must have its own breaker. If your electrician does a load calculation on your home and says you only have 50 amps available for new EV circuits, have them install the wire for two 50 amp circuits, but install one 20A and one 30A breaker. Having thicker wire and a smaller breaker is allowable. After the WiFi load sharing is available, all you would need to do is swap the breakers to 50 amps each and reconfigure the Wall Connector for the larger breaker and load sharing. Until the load sharing is available, you will just have to charge each car slower or use only one of them and move the cable between the two cars.

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod and Rocky_H
Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

He setup load sharing on a new pair of TWC Gen 3, communicates via wireless only, no control wires required. Supports up to four TWC Gen 3 at a time right now, and 2 to 4 can power load share up to a single 100 Amp circuit. Each TWC Gen 3 still only outputs 48 Amps each max so won't boost older Model S with dual-chargers. His working theory is that a set of load sharing TWC Gen 3 will replace old/existing installs of paired Tesla destination chargers.

I don't personally have a TWC Gen 3, but I have a pair of load sharing TWC Gen 2.

I wonder if the wifi based load sharing is depending on connecting to the internet. I had 2 Juiceboxes in a load sharing configuration and they were cloud dependent. If the wifi was down or if they couldn't connect to the cloud, the load sharing would not work and the charging defaulted to 6 amps.

The Tesla Gen 2 HPWC used a local communication wire to eliminate that problem. There is a new entrant, Wallbox Pulsar Plus, that also uses a local communication wire that can work without an internet connection, which is what I am using now.

Each new Wall Connector with WiFi must have its own breaker. If your electrician does a load calculation on your home and says you only have 50 amps available for new EV circuits, have them install the wire for two 50 amp circuits, but install one 20A and one 30A breaker. Having thicker wire and a smaller breaker is allowable. After the WiFi load sharing is available, all you would need to do is swap the breakers to 50 amps each and reconfigure the Wall Connector for the larger breaker and load sharing. Until the load sharing is available, you will just have to charge each car slower or use only one of them and move the cable between the two cars.
@Saxgod just Disagreed with this 11 month old post. Now the firmware is available for Gen3 WiFi power sharing and in retrospect, I stand by my recommendation 100%. If someone had done this exact thing at that time, they would now be able to share the 50 amps between the two cars with very little effort.

Reactions: Rocky_H
@Saxgod just Disagreed with this 11 month old post. Now the firmware is available for Gen3 WiFi power sharing and in retrospect, I stand by my recommendation 100%. If someone had done this exact thing at that time, they would now be able to share the 50 amps between the two cars with very little effort.

My mistake. You said “with WiFi”. Unwad those panties.

you were wrong though. should have been more specific when you said all wall connectors need to have their own breaker. It’s just not true.
The installation manual for the Gen3 Wall Connector with WiFi explicitly says that each wall connector should have its own breaker.

The Gen2 manual says that you can use other solutions like Polaris connectors in a junction box and a single breaker. The Gen2 Wall Connector power sharing is also restricted to all units on the same breaker capacity and wire size sharing only the capacity of the Master. Gen3 can have independent breaker size settings with a separate aggregate amperage.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H