Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Charger WPA2/WPA3 compatibility Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I submitted another ticket hoping those clowns would provide any sort of support but instead this is what they say.

IMG_6236.jpeg

Stuff like this is infuriating from a company that’s supposed to be a “tech company”

The manual clearly advertised WPA2/WPA3 support which it does not have.

Options are to create a separate SSID just for this Wall Connector and run WPA2 or cripple all of the WAPs by turning off 6GHz network on main SSID to allow for WPA2 only security.

WiFi 6E standard does not support the outdated WPA2 only mode. This will become more and more of an issue as people upgrade their WAPs and consumer grade home routers that support WiFi 6E.

I submitted another ticket hoping those clowns would provide any sort of support but instead this is what they say.

Stuff like this is infuriating from a company that’s supposed to be a “tech company”

Options are to create a separate SSID just for this Wall Connector and run WPA2 or cripple all of the WAPs by turning off 6GHz network on main SSID to allow for WPA2 only security.

WiFi 6E standard does not support the outdated WPA2 only mode. This will become more and more of an issue as people upgrade their WAPs and consumer grade home routers that support WiFi 6E.

These days more people get a leased router with service, so it may be harder for the customer to change the Wi-Fi settings.

AFAIK Autel is the only EVSE AC charger that has ethernet port. They said they will get NACS by end of this year, but will work with adapter.

If you can document where WPA3 is advertised as supported and you already have support saying it isn’t supported, then you can report them to the FTC for false advertising.

If you can document where WPA3 is advertised as supported and you already have support saying it isn’t supported, then you can report them to the FTC for false advertising.

Is anyone else's Gen 3 Wall Charger failing to connect to any network that's WPA2/WPA3 or just WPA3? The manual states that it supports it, but in real world testing, it does not. The charger ONLY connects to WiFi when I set the network to WPA2 only.

Wall charger is on firmware 1.4.2-0 and refuses to update to 1.4.4. Does WPA2/WPA3 work on 1.4.4?

Screen shot from the manual:
View attachment 696268
I should. That screen shot is right out of their manual (from when I purchased it) who knows if they changed it now to pull a fast one.

I should. That screen shot is right out of their manual (from when I purchased it) who knows if they changed it now to pull a fast one.
The manual still says TWC supports WPA2/WPA3, and it does. Apparently you are assuming that "WPA2/WPA3" means it supports WPA2 or WPA3, but in fact it means (or Tesla and Apple both intend it to mean) that the TWC supports "WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode", a feature of some routers. From Apple support:
  • WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices.
  • WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.
  • WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available.
Apple Support
Searching for this term on Google gives other similar explanations. It is still true that most IoT devices do not support WPA3, and that's why (I think) most routers still support transition mode.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Apparently you are assuming that "WPA2/WPA3" means it supports WPA2 or WPA3, but in fact it means (or Tesla and Apple both intend it to mean) that the TWC supports "WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode"
The problem is that the TWC doesn’t work with WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode. And Tech Support says it doesn’t work, just stick with plain WPA2. But it is advertised in the manual, but it doesn’t really support WPA2/WPA3 Transitional Mode.

The manual still says TWC supports WPA2/WPA3, and it does. Apparently you are assuming that "WPA2/WPA3" means it supports WPA2 or WPA3, but in fact it means (or Tesla and Apple both intend it to mean) that the TWC supports "WPA2/WPA3 Transitional mode", a feature of some routers.
In case a recent WC firmware update enabled it (and it's on 24.12.51), I just switched my 2.4 GHz AP from WPA2-Personal to WPA2/WPA3-Personal. My Wall Connector did NOT reconnect. After switching back to WPA2-Personal, it reconnected.

My belief is that the issue is either router basic capability or configuration. WPA2 devices may or may not support Protected Management Frames (PMFs). Some routers require WPA2 devices to support PMFs, and others can be configured to support WPA2 devices that don't have PMF capability. The following two links explain this better than I can.
Cisco's configuration info for Meraki
Ubiquiti's explanation

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX