Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III Range & Pricing Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And who are not the target market for the G3 base model.

Keep in mind Leaf buyers aren't the target market of the G3 either. They might sell 15-20k leafs this year, Tesla wants to sell 100k G3's a year, so you need to appeal to all car buyers, not electric car buyers. I hope the base G3 will have a 200 mile range, but I'm worried it might be more like 160-175 EPA in order to keep the cost down.

Keep in mind Leaf buyers aren't the target market of the G3 either. They might sell 15-20k leafs this year, Tesla wants to sell 100k G3's a year, so you need to appeal to all car buyers, not electric car buyers.
But if the LEAF had better looks, better range, and better performance they'd sell a lot more of them. For each current LEAF buyer there are probably at least 5 more who would buy one if it met those criteria. Remember Tesla is going to sell more than one model of the G3, at least we assume, so I don't think it's a deal breaker if the base model comes in under 200 miles of range. If they can do more than that for the base model that will be even better of course. Personally I'm trying to keep my expectations down in the hope of being pleasantly surprised instead of expecting more and being disappointed.

Given that the overwhelming majority of Model S were ordered with 60 and 85 kWh packs, I think that 200+ miles EPA is what most customers want. I expect G3/BlueStar to have an entry level range of 200 miles EPA.

I agreet also. And I don't think Tesla really wants to start competing against the LEAF and Focus EV and whatnot. No need to compete before you need to. Right now Tesla is making a market, and has 100% of the share. Easier to expand that market than try to take one away from a much bigger company.

This is true. If the Leaf had 140 miles EPA range, I would be driving a Leaf right now Instead of a Volt.

I would be driving a LEAF instead of a Model S. I love my Model S. I think it was worth the money. I think it has higher value than anything out there. But I still would like to have that money in my pocket. And a 140 mile LEAF would meet my driving needs easily, a current one would be a close call about 20% of the time.

Since this entire thread is speculation here is another question. What will Tesla charge to make a reservation for Gen3?
$5k would seem to be out of the question. With Gen3 supposed to be the masses will Tesla simply reduce the reservation cost to something like $2,500?
Will there be a Signature version and if yes how much? Will Tesla be more creative and come up with a new selling approach? I know they want to avoid the large on hand inventory the large auto makers have but would they even consider a very very small number of Gen3's at the sales/service centers available for immediate purchase and delivery? A lot can happen in 3-4 years so who knows!

I know they want to avoid the large on hand inventory the large auto makers have but would they even consider a very very small number of Gen3's at the sales/service centers available for immediate purchase and delivery? A lot can happen in 3-4 years so who knows!

I was in the new Century City store Friday evening and the sales rep there, Jacob, said that they now have two cars in stock that can be purchased. They had just sold another one that they had in stock. The cars were white and black P85s, which are what he said were the most common colors.

It seems that Tesla has heard the market and is keeping a some nicely-equipped cars in stock, which appears to be working. So I suspect that they will implement a similar sales model with the Gen 3.

I was in the new Century City store Friday evening and the sales rep there, Jacob, said that they now have two cars in stock..
It seems that Tesla has heard the market and is keeping a some nicely-equipped cars in stock,....

Mike at the Topanga store said those cars were demo cars. Whatever they call them it's a way to "stock" purchasable vehicles.

They discount the purchase buy .25 a mile.

Mike at the Topanga store said those cars were demo cars. Whatever they call them it's a way to "stock" purchasable vehicles.

They discount the purchase buy .25 a mile.

Yeah, I can see how people who are in the queue would not appreciate being passed over so that Tesla can stock its retail locations, but I'm certain that having a few cars in stock would generate additional sales. After a test drive, there will be some who will want a car immediately but they won't be as willing to go through the ordering and waiting process. That is in my experience even more frequently the case with people who have that kind of disposable income.

Veruca Salt - I Want It Now (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - YouTube

Musk: It will be a car the size of an Audi A4 or a BMW 3-series. First, the sedan comes to market, and later an SUV.The car is in many ways a smaller version of the Model S. The biggest challenge will be to reduce the development costs. At the same time I have to make sure that our third model is a compelling car - should not pay more than $ 30,000 for the buyer, at least according to today's purchasing power.

http://www.manager-magazin.de/magazin/artikel/0,2828,888842-4,00.html

At the same time I have to make sure that our third model is a compelling car - should not pay more than $ 30,000 for the buyer, at least according to today's purchasing power.
A Model S younger sibling that goes ~ 200 miles on a standard charge at the $30k price point will be quite compelling indeed. It will also make a lot of shareholders happy.

Will be interesting to have the "No more than $30k". As he has learned, people would rather pay more for better battery. If he has $30k but only 160 miles, would they cancel it like they have done the Model S 40 if demand is hugely low?

I would rather pay $40k-$50k and get a 350-400 mile battery and performance than a $30k base spec 160 mile battery.

I would rather pay $40k-$50k and get a 350-400 mile battery and performance than a $30k base spec 160 mile battery.

I am in the same boat on this one. I am budgeting 50k for Gen III. That being said, a 30k car with a true 160 mile range would sell very well, and that low starting price point will get alot of people in the door, even with they end up buying the more expensive variant. The advertised 50k price on Model S go me in the door, as I would have never even taken an interest in the vehicle if the starting price was 70k. Granted I ended up cancelling my reservation, but I will eventually be a Tesla owner. There are alot more people who can afford a 40-50k car than there are who can afford a 60k+ car. There are WAY more people who can afford a 30k car. The starting price point on Gen III is right on the money.

And he also said $30k "for the buyer", so my assumption is that the price will be about $40k. After the federal tax credit, they will call that $30k "for the buyer" in inflated dollars.

Lower prices are always better, but they can likely sell as many as they can build if it has at least 200 miles of range at that price.

I am in the same boat on this one. I am budgeting 50k for Gen III. That being said, a 30k car with a true 160 mile range would sell very well, and that low starting price point will get alot of people in the door, even with they end up buying the more expensive variant. The advertised 50k price on Model S go me in the door, as I would have never even taken an interest in the vehicle if the starting price was 70k. Granted I ended up cancelling my reservation, but I will eventually be a Tesla owner. There are alot more people who can afford a 40-50k car than there are who can afford a 60k+ car. There are WAY more people who can afford a 30k car. The starting price point on Gen III is right on the money.
Exactly the same here. I rather pay $50k for a top of the line smaller car than $50k (now $62k) for the base version of the Model S but this is of course just my price point. There are plenty of people on this forum that apparently have a different price point :)