Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another possibility is that they will only offer AWD, assuming it is successful on the X and S. Two smaller motors may be more efficient and allow better handling. Heck, maybe they'll even have four motors a la Rimac. :biggrin:

output
Two smaller motors may be more efficient and allow better handling.
No and no.

One bigger electric motor is always more efficient at given output power than two smaller ones. Reason for this is that electric losses scale with square of electric current and power scales linearly with current.
AWD would only be better than FWD/RWD in extremely slippery conditions where two driving wheels don't have enough traction to move the car. When there is enough traction non-driving wheels will better steer the car than driving wheels can.

Well? What do you think of this Gen III vision from Theophilus Chin's website?

It looks a little too ordinary to me. Notice the normal door handles too. Not a bad idea if they are trying to keep the costs down, but the retractable ones are kind of a Tesla thing.

12301172346_1bd7dd3076_o.jpg

12300592485_5e318432c7_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm afraid you guys have a bit too high expectations.

Model E will not be a 70k car for 35k, it will be a 25k car for 35k (battery will still be ~1/3 of the car price).
I think Theo did a great job capturing all these factors into this design. Tesla might add some visually aggressive body kit parts, but under the line - GenIII will be a mass market car, not a ricer.

I'm afraid you guys have a bit too high expectations.

Model E will not be a 70k car for 35k, it will be a 25k car for 35k (battery will still be ~1/3 of the car price).
I think Theo did a great job capturing all these factors into this design. Tesla might add some visually aggressive body kit parts, but under the line - GenIII will be a mass market car, not a ricer.

Elon has been pretty consistent in saying the E will target the 3-series. Tesla will not achieve that goal without a similar level of design and luxury. I think 35k will be the bare entry price for this car, and expect the average selling price to be closer to 45-50k. At the low end you'll sacrifice range, features, and interior candy, but not design.

Will the E have retracting door handles? No. Flush door handles? Of course.

Well? What do you think of this Gen III vision ?

Dear God, NO !

I realise Tesla have to produce an appealing car that just happens to be electric, without it being yet another butt ugly eco-box, but surely they will be producing something slicker than this render ??

If that really were the prototype I'd recommend it be nuked from orbit before it spawns and becomes self-aware.

yuk.

g3rendernuke_zpse942fd97.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I'd really like the Gen3 to be A3 sized, with 85kwh or more, possibly wagon / hatchback option, and possibly AWD :)
Yep, I've been waiting for the same thing too. I loved my Audi A3 but gave it up to drive all electric (first LEAF in 2011 and now RAV4). Bring on an all electric, A3-sized (or slightly larger) AWD hatchback with great sport handling and performance!