Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And to bring this back to the topic of the thread - I'm going to guess late 2013 before we see the Gen III prototype. Knowing Tesla and Elon it will probably be at a time to give the stock a big boost.

Agree. Late 2013 for the prototype. Hopefully that means they will take reservations too. Would be great year end publicity for them. But, first Tesla needs to focus on the Model X. An awful lot of people, especially on this forum, are anxiously waiting to see the Model X that will actually be built along with pricing announcements.

They could stack batteries under the rear seat (more than they do now) and move the chargers above the motor.

LEAF does that. It has a stack of battery cells tall under the rear seat.
The 2013 version also moves the charger & inverter into a stack of control electronics above the motor (sort-of like the Roadster/RAV4 prototype PEM arrangement.)
The downside is that there is no 'Frunk' in LEAF or RAV4EV...

Last edited:
I am really curious, with the delay of the Model X, how much longer we will have to wait for the GENIII. It was already going to be a long wait but it now seems reasonable that this will be delayed by at least an additional year. I am hoping Tesla can shed some light on this soon....

Better still, show us an Alpha :wink:

With the current state of batteries, I don't think a long range small car with enough interior space is possible. Gen III will have to wait for density improvements.

Ofcourse, they can show a non-working or a shorter range prototype.

If the idea is to sell gen 3 in 2017/18, I don't see them showing the Gen 3 before 2016, though. Tesla no longer needs to generate interest by showing prototypes.

I believe the plan as of late 2012 was Gen III in 2015. Then in January of 2013 Elon said that that Gen III was "three or four" years away. That would mean January 2016 to January 2017. That being said, it'll probably be delayed even more because Elon is always wrong when it comes to long-term schedules. So I'm guessing the delivery of the first car will probably end up being mid-2017 with a slow ramp up.

I believe the plan as of late 2012 was Gen III in 2015.

I don't think there was ever a definite plan. My understanding (from various comments) in 2011/2012 was more like *late* 2015 to 2016 (yet so vague that it could also be even later).

I think there is still no definite plan or timetable which would have "delays". I'm assuming that they start making serious plans only once Model X comes close to production, since at that point they'll have more clarity about the situation, state of battery tech, and the financial situation. And until then, there probably isn't much to be done about it.

- - - Updated - - -

The Model X was probably announced quite early because it was part of the plans for how the current manufacturing line will be used.

But I guess Elon will at some point start to talk a bit about the Gen III simply because he likes to look far into the future (and perhaps to help Tesla in planning, by seeing what the responses are).

The though of Gen III being significantly delayed is depressing to me, as my Volt goes off lease in September 2015, and I was really hoping to replace it with a Gen III vehicle. I guess I will either have to find a way to afford a Model S, or end up with a second gen Volt.

Six months ago when they began to hint at a delay I changed from "I'm waiting on a Gen III due out in 2015" to "I'm buying a Tesla in 2015." It's looking more and more like I'll be getting a Model S.

I am hoping to be able to put myself in the same category. It really is going to depend on the real world range of the 40 kWh Model S. If I have faith that I will do 100 miles in winter in standard charge mode (1 day a week a have a 90 mile round trip commute) That will be my next car. The 60 kWh model will likely still be out of reach for me (although who knows what could change in the next 2 years).

Six months ago when they began to hint at a delay I changed from "I'm waiting on a Gen III due out in 2015" to "I'm buying a Tesla in 2015." It's looking more and more like I'll be getting a Model S.

if you're married, how's the wife with that?
I just bought a 2013 Volt in October since I could not wait until summer 2013 for the 40kWh S delivery

I am hoping to be able to put myself in the same category. It really is going to depend on the real world range of the 40 kWh Model S. If I have faith that I will do 100 miles in winter in standard charge mode (1 day a week a have a 90 mile round trip commute) That will be my next car. The 60 kWh model will likely still be out of reach for me (although who knows what could change in the next 2 years).

If you plan on keeping the car many years I think the 40kWh version likely wouldn't work well for highway winter driving of 90 miles unless you had someplace to charge at work. Hopefully the 60kWh version will work out or the Gen III will be out.

If you plan on keeping the car many years I think the 40kWh version likely wouldn't work well for highway winter driving of 90 miles unless you had someplace to charge at work. Hopefully the 60kWh version will work out or the Gen III will be out.

All the math that I am running is coming up with the same conclusion. Unless the 40 kWh ends up surpassing expectations, I will have to end up with a 60 kWh or a Gen II Volt (unless Gen III surprises us and comes out on time) One of the big factors in me canceling my Model S reservation was the fact that I would have to finalize long before the stats on the 40 were available, and it really will be borderline for my needs. The 60 is out of reach for me, so my hand was forced.

Let's just hope that Tesla under promises and over delivers when it comes to the release date of Gen III :)

The Model S is too big for me. I like my Ford Focus Electric, a nice size and easy to maneuver. I would like something similar in the GenIII. Hopefully 2016 will be the year because my FFE lease ends then. I may end up with the Litmotors C-1 if it is ready then in lieu of a Tesla GenIII.