Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe he didn't lie. Maybe [dum dum dum] ... it's PAST the clay model stage and they had a prototype in there!

This is actually very possible. If the Gen III is actually coming out in 2015, there is far less time between now and release than there was between the first drivable model S prototypes and the release of the Model S (granted, the first Model S prototype shares little other than basic exterior design with the finished product)

Recent EVent conversations with the design team made it sound like they were working on the X and the Supercharger (which at the time confused me, I thought. "It's a box....how fancy can you make it?")

I'd put money down that they have a skateboard for the GenIII, at least.

I don't think they could meet their development timeline unless they have a functional skateboard and probably a number of mules to do testing with. They really only have about 2 full years of engineering time left before they need to be putting betas on the street. Most of the really substantial decisions about performance, styling and features need to have been made by now.

I remember reading somewhere that the GenIII would have a similar skateboard platform to the Model S with a smaller wheel-base.

Elon has said that it will basically be a scaled down version of the Model S. Others have said that won't quite work due to rear seating headroom. So expect some functional variation. But a smaller four door sport sedan with rear hatch is probably going to be what it is.

I would expect the Gen3 to very much be a scaled down S platform, leveraging all the previous work on the S. I think Gen3 could be developed faster than many are speculating.
Agreed. This car has already been figured out. The screen software is done and the Modle X will have the FWD nailed.Elon said 20 to 25% smaller.

I think Franz alluded to the idea that he might be able to get a little more radical with the styling by the time we get to GenIII.
Interesting conundrum as higher volume tends to mean more conservative styling.
Hopefully they "push the envelope" in a way that the masses generally find attractive.

- - - Updated - - -

I Really hope the GENIII will be RWD or AWD.

+400

But, I wonder if VFX was meaning "Four Wheel Drive" when he said "FWD"? Maybe not suggesting that GenIII could get front-wheel drive.

I think Franz alluded to the idea that he might be able to get a little more radical with the styling by the time we get to GenIII.
Interesting conundrum as higher volume tends to mean more conservative styling.
Hopefully they "push the envelope" in a way that the masses generally find attractive.

Somehow I doubt he REALLY meant radical when he said that.

"Besides the upcoming Tesla Model X crossover, Musk said that the company is working on a third-generation car, which is a mass-market electric car. “That’s actually the one that I’m most keen to bring to the market,"

Hopefully this means they are further along then we think designing the GENIII. One can hope right!:smile:

"Besides the upcoming Tesla Model X crossover, Musk said that the company is working on a third-generation car, which is a mass-market electric car. “That’s actually the one that I’m most keen to bring to the market,"

Hopefully this means they are further along then we think designing the GENIII. One can hope right!:smile:

There needs to be a thumbs-up icon, like other boards I'm on, so here's a *thumbs-up*! Can't wait for this to happen. It will shut up the masses about *EV's are too expensive* crap.

Last edited:
So this one is going to smaller eh? I hope not sporty small. I'm a family man and like my sedans. Would get a Model S if I could afford it. I was hoping the more affordable version would still be a sedan, just a smaller, less sleek one. Hmmm......I would also think that it would be easier to sell a four door car than a two door to the mass public.

Last edited:
So this one is going to smaller eh? I hope not sporty small. I'm a family man and like my sedans. Would get a Model S if I could afford it. I was hoping the more affordable version would still be a sedan, just a smaller, less sleek one. Hmmm......I would also think that it would be easier to sell a four day car than a two door to the mass public.

Think BWM 3 series and Audi A4/5 size and styles and you should be right on track with this model. Both of those have a 2 door, 4 door, convertible and 5 door version of those cars.