Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Connector Update Firmware Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed Gen 3 wall connector and the current software version it displays as 21.29.2. When I click on button "CHECK FOR UPDATE" it throws error "Unable to contact the server. Please check the device internet connectivity and try again"

I also tried to upload the firmware file manually while connect to Wi-Fi of Wall connector, the internet connection breaks after 2 mins and it cannot upload the file.

I'm using netgear Orbi RBR750 router.

Any tips to resolve this issue is highly appreciated!

Just installed Gen 3 wall connector and the current software version it displays as 21.29.2. When I click on button "CHECK FOR UPDATE" it throws error "Unable to contact the server. Please check the device internet connectivity and try again"

I also tried to upload the firmware file manually while connect to Wi-Fi of Wall connector, the internet connection breaks after 2 mins and it cannot upload the file.

I'm using netgear Orbi RBR750 router.

Any tips to resolve this issue is highly appreciated!

When connecting the wall connector to your home router note that, generally, Mesh networks do not work. You will need to setup a dedicated SID. Also, for that network, it must be 2.4 Ghz and not 5 Ghz.

Not really sure what you are doing for the manual update (you really don’t need to do manual updates unless you have no WiFi at your home). Check out this link, if you have not already done so:

Upvote 0
When connecting the wall connector to your home router note that, generally, Mesh networks do not work. You will need to setup a dedicated SID. Also, for that network, it must be 2.4 Ghz and not 5 Ghz.

Not really sure what you are doing for the manual update (you really don’t need to do manual updates unless you have no WiFi at your home). Check out this link, if you have not already done so:

Thanks ATPMSD

I'm following steps listed under "Offline Firmware Updates" on the same link.

Also, I did setup dedicate SSID broadcasting 2.4 GHz and configured wall connector to this Wi-Fi. It does connect to Wi-Fi, but fails to update the software to current version

Upvote 0
Yes. I did plug in each night for several days, it did not update the firmware. The TWC finally got updated when I scheduled vehicle update at 2 am and plugged in all night. Next morning vehicle and TWC were updated. Now, I see TWC is 2 versions behind, hoping it will be updated with next vehicle update

Upvote 0
have had TWC for about 8 weeks

connected to internet fine

on 22.45.1

does not update automatically

connect to TWC by phone via access point mode…

hit the update button…says “your firmware is up to date”

it works fine …not sure it matters…

BTW totally separate but the car itself on same wi-fi and has updated a few times and including last night to 23.6.9

Upvote 0
have had TWC for about 8 weeks

connected to internet fine

on 22.45.1

does not update automatically

connect to TWC by phone via access point mode…

hit the update button…says “your firmware is up to date”

it works fine …not sure it matters…

BTW totally separate but the car itself on same wi-fi and has updated a few times and including last night to 23.6.9
My Gen 3 TWC shows connected to internet and running 22.45.1 and has yet to update automatically as well. As long as it continues to charge our '23 MYLR I'm not going to sweat it. Car runs on same wifi and has updated as well.

Upvote 0
Same here - just waiting for my vehicle to update while plugged in to see if the newest WC firmware comes through during that process.

If not, the WC will eventually update, not everyone gets it at the same time. Some WCs get updated faster than others - nothing we can do. Still hoping the voltage bug gets fixed on the latest 2023 firmware. I'm still reading 230V in the Tesla WC settings page, when the line voltage is a confirmed 240V. (Bug introduced in an update in 2022)

Upvote 0
Had my TWC installed today, was a little quirky, took a couple attempts to fully connect to the local hotspot, but eventually did, got it connected to my home WiFi (Netgear Orbi Mesh system with WPA2) and it shows connected to the Internet and connected to Tesla, but the firmware update says it can't connect to the server. It was running 21.29.2 but I used the offline firmware update method to get it on 23.8.2. Do they ever release notes about what changes?

Upvote 0
it seems not…

it took several weeks for me to get an update…

and afterward i can see no difference

the charger works fine…

i think most of the charging intelligence is built into the car…and the charger is largely like a fancy extension cord that plugs into your car with some basic settings like amperage…

at work i use a non tesla charger and it works totally fine and no different from the wall charger…

sone chargers can communicate with the electric company about when they charge but as of now not tesla

Upvote 0
What would a new firmware bring to Wall connector 3? More or less everything what matters can be controlled on the car via Tesla app.

Just for reference, the ability to limit charging to only a Tesla, or specific Tesla cars, as well as power sharing between Wall Connectors were delivered via a firmware update. But nothing new since those two that I am aware of.

Upvote 0