Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the neighbor in mine today. He now wants his wife to try it. I give them less that a week before they put a deposit down.

All they need is 1. drive the car; 2. understand the total ownership cost. For those who like to keep cars for 10 years, they can save $10k on gasoline alone; and 3. Safety benefit.

After tax and gas savings are accounted for, the $35k base model really costs $20k compared to a gasoline car.

Then look at the option upgrades: Advanced Autopilot and Premium Upgrades are well worth it. The long range option is pricy. But it does add value: longer range, more power, less stress on batteries, longer milage warranty, better resale value. This is especially valuable during long distance trips. My previous car has a Bose sound system, many people commented how good it is. I feel the sound system on my Model 3 is way above the Bose system. The car is so quiet, that helps the overall music experience too. It's truly enjoyable.

Get on twitter and ask him. Challenge his dumb narratives. I think to many very smart people are hiding here in the safety of TMC while bad people are spewing lies and causing major negativity. Twitter is to powerful of a tool, it elected a president and allows him to get his message out with 0 help from the mainstream media. Its time for us to leverage that power for good. Get on twitter, follow $tsla and counter fud with facts. always facts. Also note that most dont post any facts, so its easy to just call them out for lack of facts and if they resent some then counter them. I use TweetDeck because its owned by twitter and allows you to use multiple accounts and see multiple streams of tweets at the same time. Make sure you inclue $tsla and #shortthebottom in the tweet. Lets get that trending.

edit: im @Rec1pr0city on twitter for an example btw

Great idea Reciprocity, we can’t let this type of rubbish go unchallenged.
Let’s all spend just a few minutes each day pushing back against some of these FUDsters on Twitter.
And if you see TMC members out there FUD fighting on twitter or other media then like some of their posts and throw in the odd supportive comment.
TMC members have x100 more knowledge about Tesla than all of these FUDSters put together
That’s my vent.
But really, who do they think they are? I’ll bet Henry Ford didn’t have to put up with this kind of rubbish.

But really, who do they think they are? I’ll bet Henry Ford didn’t have to put up with this kind of rubbish.

Yeah, he did. Henry Ford | Biography, Education, Inventions, & Facts

"During its first five years the Ford Motor Company produced eight different models, and by 1908 its output was 100 cars a day. The stockholders were ecstatic; Ford was dissatisfied and looked toward turning out 1,000 a day. The stockholders seriously considered court action to stop him from using profits to expand. In 1909 Ford, who owned 58 percent of the stock, announced that he was only going to make one car in the future, the Model T. The only thing the minority stockholders could do to protect their dividends from his all-consuming imagination was to take him to court, which Horace and John Dodge did in 1916.

The Dodge brothers, who formerly had supplied chassis to Ford but were now manufacturing their own car while still holding Ford stock, sued Ford for what they claimed was his reckless expansion and for reducing prices of the company’s product, thereby diverting money from stockholders’ dividends. The court hearings gave Ford a chance to expound his ideas about business. In December 1917 the court ruled in favour of the Dodges; Ford, as in the Selden case, appealed, but this time he lost. In 1919 the court said that, while Ford’s sentiments about his employees and customers were nice, a business is for the profit of its stockholders. Ford, irate that a court and a few shareholders, whom he likened to parasites, could interfere with the management of his company, determined to buy out all the shareholders..."

So selling stationary batteries still is without value? I'm talking to you Mr Market...

What is Tesla's foot-print in Mexico to take advantage of these plans? The only mention about stationary batteries I could find was:

"The first major energy project is coming online with Gauss Energia and LG Chem. As lithium battery prices will follow solar as the sector booms, energy storage will occur throughout the grid from behind the meter to centralised back up."

Tesla claims that Model 3 panel gaps have improved by ‘nearly 40%’

With the clarification, Tesla just shorted the value of all those binders Munro produced. Either he needs to spend another 1M on measuring the gaps on newly produced cars with his manual calipers, or his binders are gonna lose their value real quick.

The panels gaps are a minor aspect of the tear down. Parts, prices, dimensions, weights, architecture, build process, and sourcing are the real value adds, not the external manufacturing process measurements (unless the buyer only cares about the gap consistency).

The panels gaps are a minor aspect of the tear down. Parts, prices, dimensions, weights, architecture, build process, and sourcing are the real value adds, not the external manufacturing process measurements (unless the buyer only cares about the gap consistency).
True,
but it looks like panel gaps was what he was B'chin about (the quality of product seems to depend a lot on this type of precision) ;) and what Tesla chose to clarify on ..(other than the weight thingy) ...

Reactions: Runarbt and mongo
I think panel gaps are often a proxy for production quality and an indicator of cabin noise and long term durability of any car. It may not be true, but it is a quality indicator that anyone can see.
Seems incontrovertible that some early cars had fit issues. An employee discount on the first 5000 cars might have helped keep more early mistakes out of public hands. Based on Elon’s statement they are going to have a continuous improvement plan in place on their internal production and for all suppliers. Reducing gaps and improving production controls will help, if not be necessary to increase production to 10,000 per week. In technology, and logically in production, reducing errors is critical to increasing productivity. My team is 3 times as productive, by output as 5 years ago. That would not be possible without improving our controls and quality, as well as our partners doing the same. I hope Elon has some excellent data people working at Tesla identifying the best productivity and quality opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.