Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GeoLocation in v10 web browser.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a piece of web software that I wrote myself (I do this kind of thing for a living - but this is just for fun) - it uses geolocation as a part of what it does.

On my Model 3 (FSD), I get a popup saying that geolocation isn't available. That's weird because Google Maps uses geolocation - and it works just fine. The first time Maps runs, you get a message asking to grant permission for it - but with my web page, I just get a flat denial.

My page works perfectly on Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android - with a bunch of different browsers.

So I wonder whether there is some bug - or special reason why the feature would be behaving weirdly?

Anyone else have an idea of why this might be?

I think back in V9 when they switched to Chrome, there was some inaccessible Tesla security setting that blocked the geolocation. If I remember right, this is the reason that websites like aBetterRoutePlanner can't access the car's GPS position for trip planning purposes. I don't recall anyone on the forums had any easy work-arounds. We were hoping Tesla would change that setting to enable things like what you're talking about. (Sorry, that's my layman's understanding of it.)

Hmmm - that's annoying. Seems like access to geolocation isn't a security issue providing people are given the option to enable it or not. The car seems to have no problem displaying the site.

The browser is still pretty raw though - no way to deal with cookies or preferences or anything of that sort. Usual webkit pages like about:flags seem to be disabled - perhaps intentionally, perhaps not.

We can hope that it'll improve.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Not sure if it would work, but as a potential (hopefully temporary) workaround for your own use, you could try using the browser by escaping from the youtube app, as I post about here, which seems to not have the privacy restrictions of geolocation that the normal browser does.