Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Georgia Power PEV Rate Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone in Georgia switched over to GA Power's PEV rate plan? It advertises a special rate of $.01 per KWH during the hours of 11 pm to 6 am. Problem is that during the other times, the rate can be as high as 20 cents per KWH. On my residential rate plan I'm paying 5.7 cents per KWH 24 hours a day.

I can't see where their plan would save any money, unless the biggest user of electricity is for charging the car. The lady I talked to at Ga Power didn't seem to really know about the PEV plan as she kept having to refer to a printed sheet.

Anyway, if you sign up for this program you have to stay with it for a year. They really should give you a trial month, but they don't.

Dave in Ga.

Has anyone in Georgia switched over to GA Power's PEV rate plan? It advertises a special rate of $.01 per KWH during the hours of 11 pm to 6 am. Problem is that during the other times, the rate can be as high as 20 cents per KWH. On my residential rate plan I'm paying 5.7 cents per KWH 24 hours a day.

I can't see where their plan would save any money, unless the biggest user of electricity is for charging the car. The lady I talked to at Ga Power didn't seem to really know about the PEV plan as she kept having to refer to a printed sheet.

Anyway, if you sign up for this program you have to stay with it for a year. They really should give you a trial month, but they don't.

Dave in Ga.
Most of the utilities will let you see what your bill would have been for the last year if you had the rate plan that changes by the hour.
In TX - it was beneficial for us to switch to that plan as the car does “pull” a lot of power at night

• Informative
Reactions: Thumpernator
Most of the utilities will let you see what your bill would have been for the last year if you had the rate plan that changes by the hour.
In TX - it was beneficial for us to switch to that plan as the car does “pull” a lot of power at night

I just talked with Ga Power and they are not able to tell me what my bill would have been on the new plan. She says they don't keep track of the time the power is used with my current rate plan, but if I sign up for the new plan, they would modify my meter to record the time.

Thanks for the idea, though.

I currently have the plan. I started the plan in June 2019. I had to do a lot of adjusting to avoid the 20 cents peak charge and still pay more per month. I drive about 40 miles per day with one Tesla. In my opinion it is not worth it. You also are stuck for a year in the plan. I will be cancelling when the year is up.

Just a tidbit, the $0.057 changes in the summer. That's when the TOU rate looks a lot better. But that's also the time when the AC wants run run during the most expensive time of day.

To see if the rate is good for you, you will need to install a monitor on the main to see what your hourly use is. And then monitor it for a year, or at least through summer.

Some folks have seen it to be advantageous. I believe that the rate is designed to be revenue neutral, which means that on average it costs just as much as the normal rate. For you it would depend on your specific usage.