Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess they have to send those two dinged Model Ses back to the factory for repairs...
Oh but wait, there are at the factory!
They have spare bumpers and a paint shop right there.

I imagine a similar occurrence out on the tour across the country would cause more hassle.
I'm sure that the real concern is that there not be claims for long-term disability due to whiplash, etc. Some people make a living off those!

Pressed the wrong pedal, or malfunction?

I'm sure that the real concern is that there not be claims for long-term disability due to whiplash, etc. Some people make a living off those!

Pressed the wrong pedal, or malfunction?

I'm guessing nervousness, unfamiliar car, unusual environment, and just hit the wrong pedal. A colleague once made me drive his nice 6-speed and the shifting was mushy and I wasn't familiar with it--and didn't want to do it (yes your car's cool, why are you making me drive this giant boat?), which made me very tense. I thought I had it in reverse to get out of the spot...tapped the gas, nothing happened, tapped a bit harder, it lurched forward...fortunately I corrected before it went up on the curb. ;-) My point being, stuff happens.

Probably Tesla didn't want to risk a conflict (parking lot rage?) and told him to sit tight and not engage, even to apologize, and that they'd make sure thing's was okay. The other driver was probably very rattled.

AO, just curious about your countdown calendar. How comes it about that 532 comes a year and a quarter sooner than 27? Are they reversed?

Edit: Oh, I see. (?) It's a count-up since reserving, not a count-down?

One's an S, one's an X. They do look somewhat similar, tho.

Sounds like an amazing car alright. I'm very much looking forward to coverage by the "big media" about the car, because it's a winner. Plain and simple.

It's also possible that there was an issue with the car that caused it, so Tesla didn't want to make a big deal. Either way though, guy should have at least acknowledged and apologized. HE was shaken enough to go twice? What about the people you rammed?

At the risk of overkill, I am also adding a test drive video to this thread. I generally don't like to be on camera, and I have never uploaded a video to YouTube, but since this car was SO FUN to drive, and also since this video has a couple of things people were interested in seeing, I decided to post. At the very beginning the Tesla representative confirms that this car is programmed without creep. However, if you are moving very slowly as I am at the very beginning, it smoothly creeps forward instead of the regen forcing you to a stop (which is a good thing). I was afraid of it lurching forward starting out, but it seemed easy to control. Just don't stamp the accelerator or you will hit the car in front of you, as I guess at least somebody did during the test drives. In my experience, however, it was very easy to control at low speed.

Once the camera shaking calms down after the first little bit, for the most part you can see the speedometer and touchscreen during most of the video. So you can really see how fast this car accelerates by watching the numbers on the speedometer. You can also see the turn signal indicators to the right and left of the speedometer. On the freeway you can see a demonstration of the high definition back-up camera while moving. During the second acceleration sequience you can hear how quiet the car is while accelerating - it really is like a jet engine (a quiet one!). You can also hear our reaction to the panoramic roof - even in direct sunlight we didn't even really register that it was there - namely, it blocks enough light to be comfortable even with the sun coming through the glass at 2:00 in the afternoon. The air conditioning was cool and powerfull.

On the freeway I mention that the visibility is good. What I was trying to say is that the slope of the hood is such that you really can see the road in front of you easily (I am used to driving a 4Runner). Also, the visibility from the side mirrors is good. You can't see much from the rear view mirror, however. The Tesla representative seemed somewhat surprised by my comment.

At the end of the video I say that the drive sealed the deal for me, and I meant it. I was somewhat nervous about spending so much money on a car (the most expensive car that I have ever purchased was my 2000 4Runner Limited, but I will confirm my order of a Signature Performance Model S with panoramic roof today!). But the performance of this car is above anything I have ever driven, and I for one really like the clean styling and high tech features. It is incredibly powerful, but you always feel absolutely in control, from creeping along to flat out acceleration. And as I said, this car, above all else, is just plain fun to drive. My final quote - "all you need to do is get somebody in this car and it's sold."

Last edited by a moderator:
Any drivers have any comments about the distortion when looking through the center rear view mirror through the hatchback glass?

I couldn't see much actually through the rear with three passengers back there. Not sure about distortion but, it's definitely an oval 'porthole' that's on the smaller side; so, visibility is a tad limited.

I drove the dolphin grey performance car and on two occasions I did notice a peculiar sensation accompanied by an unusual sound. Both times I had the accelerator pedal fully to the floor when, for lack of a better description, it felt like the car went into warp drive. Almost like there was an extra reserve power being applied. The sound was very very brief, like maybe electrical relays switching on. No tire squeal or slippage that I could tell. Anyone else have this happen to them and if so an explanation.

Could it have been traction control turning off (after being briefly activated?)

I drove the dolphin grey performance car and on two occasions I did notice a peculiar sensation accompanied by an unusual sound. Both times I had the accelerator pedal fully to the floor when, for lack of a better description, it felt like the car went into warp drive. Almost like there was an extra reserve power being applied. The sound was very very brief, like maybe electrical relays switching on. No tire squeal or slippage that I could tell. Anyone else have this happen to them and if so an explanation.