Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get used to acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the performance owners out there... did y’all get used to the acceleration? The first week the car actually made me feel nauseated when I floored it from a stop but now it feels slower somehow and doesn’t seem to bother me. It still feels really fast but not scary fast anymore. Any of y’all have a similar experience?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
To the performance owners out there... did y’all get used to the acceleration? The first week the car actually made me feel nauseated when I floored it from a stop but now it feels slower somehow and doesn’t seem to bother me. It still feels really fast but not scary fast anymore. Any of y’all have a similar experience?

Humans have a remarkable ability to adapt. Everyone eventually gets used to things they use on a regular basis, regardless of what it is. You still recognize its nice, but its not "amazing" anymore. What happens is, everything else starts to pale in comparison.

I have a 75 inch TV which does not feel large to me... but every time I go somewhere with a smaller TV, it feels "small"... even 65 inch TVs. To OP, the car still feels very fast.. especially if "I" am not the one stomping on the go pedal, but its someone else doing it. Never scared me, but was really amazing. I still think its fast, but I am used to it. Now, every other car just feel slow... even my wifes 2019 X3 M40 that has 360 horsepower.

Uh you realize you don’t have to floor it? I enjoy having the option to get over or out of risky position with acceleration rather than slowing down but don’t feel the need or desire for jack rabbit starts. I don’t have any data to support it but believe that quick start with light change can get you t boned. Have on multiple occasions by taking cautious start avoided getting t-boned by someone running red light. Yes they would be at fault but so what

Reactions: David L

It all depends on what you're acclimated to. As a sport-bike rider and occasional American V8 owner, the Performance has good acceleration at lower speeds but I find it lacking on the top end. It's really similar to Diesel engine power curves where they run out of breath at high speed. In the realm of sports cars, The M3P acquits itself nicely when trying to keep the comparison in a similar price range. It's about the same in the 1/4 mile as a Camaro ZL1, but quicker than a 718 Cayman, Audi RS3, and BMW //M2.

Reactions: arghx7
Uh you realize you don’t have to floor it? I enjoy having the option to get over or out of risky position with acceleration rather than slowing down but don’t feel the need or desire for jack rabbit starts. I don’t have any data to support it but believe that quick start with light change can get you t boned. Have on multiple occasions by taking cautious start avoided getting t-boned by someone running red light. Yes they would be at fault but so what

uh... I didn’t realize you were on the forum mom.

Some people can handle amusement park rides that spin you around in circles and some cant due to mild vertigo etc. Its not something you can get used to 100% (but you can prepare better and it helps).

I dont go for 3 second 0-100km/h’s from a safe standstill on a regular basis unless I have an unassuming passenger that has zero Tesla road time in their past.. just to hear them scream and swear a bit. Its so worth it and thankfully nobody has peed their pants yet (I wouldn’t even be upset as it would be a hilarious story).

The G’s at a standstill until 80km is insane and yes it lets off when on the hiway but I also think its because there is no gearing down and noise (my other car is a hellcat). When I watch how quick the speedo climbs when I hit it at 140km I realize that this thing quietly still pulls very hard.

Standing starts never felt like 'wow' to me (I come from performance cars). But flooring it after a few seconds of regen brakin around 20-30mph still creates that rollercoaster ride feeling in my chest/stomach. So, no, not really getting used to it.

I feel like I’m pretty used to it.

This is the premise that has made the speed industry so big. For some, they can never have too much HP.

Your next step is to trade in for a Model S Performance. Then the Roadster. And there will be others after that.

Don't drive it for a few days and then go for a spirited spin. You will realize how quick the car is. Its not just the torque numbers this car puts out but how it delivers the torque so differently than an ice based vehicle. It is so effortless and so easy to drive fast. In many other cars you have to work to wring out the power, the M3P makes it so easy.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Don't drive it for a few days and then go for a spirited spin. You will realize how quick the car is. Its not just the torque numbers this car puts out but how it delivers the torque so differently than an ice based vehicle. It is so effortless and so easy to drive fast. In many other cars you have to work to wring out the power, the M3P makes it so easy.

Another one that worked for me was to put the car in valet mode and do a couple of 0-60 runs. It takes about 10 secs in that mode.

Then turn off valet and punch it when you least expect it. That'll get your attention.

It happens with all performance cars.. It's how people end up spending a ton of money in performance mods... chasing that initial feeling.

My 2014 Corvette was making 620rwhp and did 60-100 in 3.1 seconds. It felt fast the first couple of times then it was 'meh'. The instant torque of the P3D helps keep it fresh though.

Reactions: raptor5244
It all depends on what you're acclimated to. As a sport-bike rider and occasional American V8 owner, the Performance has good acceleration at lower speeds but I find it lacking on the top end. It's really similar to Diesel engine power curves where they run out of breath at high speed. In the realm of sports cars, The M3P acquits itself nicely when trying to keep the comparison in a similar price range. It's about the same in the 1/4 mile as a Camaro ZL1, but quicker than a 718 Cayman, Audi RS3, and BMW //M2.

My experience is similar. When I rode sport bikes I loved the instant acceleration and the ability to just squirt through traffic with a twist of the wrist. The 3 gives a similar experience. My first test drive in the M3 was a P, and that accelerating exhilaration sold me on the car.

As a young man I flew the AV8A, and this was the first car that reminded me of the takeoff acceleration of a clean Harrier on a winter day. My brother flew F4's off the boat in the Navy. His first experience of the acceleration of my car he likened to that of a cat shot.

My LRAWD is slightly slower with the acceleration boost, but is still addictive and satisfying. If I had owned this car when I was twenty something I'd be spending a small fortune on new rubber. Now that I'm older (ahem, more mature) my impulses are more under control.