Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting "Front passenger safety restraint system fault" error right after updating software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also dealing with this issue. First appointment they reseated all the connections and said it was fixed and the error came back. Second appointment they said they put some device between the seat and the car and called it fixed, also came back. Latest is they replaced the entire seat, and lo and behold it’s come back. I have another appointment in a couple weeks but at this point I don’t have high hopes.
Seems like you have to be very lucky to get a technician who is willing to troubleshoot to find the issue instead of trying random solutions.

I received this error for the first time on Saturday. Since then though i haven't received this error. If there really is an issue, will it keep popping up the same message? i'm just wondering if i need to contact the SC....
Schedule an appointment with SC because if your car still has warranty, then this is covered under the warranty. Started seeing the error on my 2023 MYLR a month after picking it up. Mine was popping up 95% of the time I put the car in drive up until they fixed it a few weeks back.

Just got my ModelY back yesterday from the SC and once again the alert has come back for the Safety Restraint. After 4 unsuccessful repairs from Tesla's SC i'm throwing in the towel and going down the lemon route. Between this error and the lack of my dual zone AC working (Backwards Dual Zone AC) I'm tired of messing with it hoping for them to fix it.

OCS is occupant classification system.
SBR is seat belt reminder.

OCS is what determines when and sometimes which stage to fire airbags (if in an accident). Not sure what system Tesla uses in these cars.

SBR is a switch in the buckle to see whether or not the buckle tongue is in the buckle.

Seems like you have to be very lucky to get a technician who is willing to troubleshoot to find the issue instead of trying random solutions.

Schedule an appointment with SC because if your car still has warranty, then this is covered under the warranty. Started seeing the error on my 2023 MYLR a month after picking it up. Mine was popping up 95% of the time I put the car in drive up until they fixed it a few weeks back.
yep, i just scheduled. Tesla mobile service is coming over to my house to look at the car next week!

So I got the guy to come last week to replace the OCS. On the first drive after the fault came back 🤦‍♂️ I’ve got another mobile service schedule this week.

However yesterday in exasperation I bent over to look under the passenger seat and noticed one of the cables with a yellow head was loose. In fact when I touched it it fell out! So I snapped it back in and behold no faults since!

However it seems the cable connections are not tight and could be jolted out again by hard vibrations by the car. Anyone else see this?

Not sure if I should still keep my mobile appointment.

So I got the guy to come last week to replace the OCS. On the first drive after the fault came back 🤦‍♂️ I’ve got another mobile service schedule this week.

However yesterday in exasperation I bent over to look under the passenger seat and noticed one of the cables with a yellow head was loose. In fact when I touched it it fell out! So I snapped it back in and behold no faults since!

However it seems the cable connections are not tight and could be jolted out again by hard vibrations by the car. Anyone else see this?

Not sure if I should still keep my mobile appointment.
Is that the airbag connector? In my (non Tesla) experience, there should be a secondary lock (red) that prevents it from getting loose. If there isn’t, that could be your problem.

I got the rear restraint system failure message immediately following an update. I lifted the seat and checked the connections and everything from the buckle to the connectors seemed fine. No pinched wires that I could see and nothing frayed anywhere. The SC thinks they need to replace the buckle part 1085942-01-E, though I worry that this is somehow a software issue. The Mobile Service Tech I spoke with said they haven't seen it before and it's not widespread so likely not a software issue. The coincidence of it starting to produce this error the first drive after the update is very suspect.

The part is $150.00 from Tesla and I found one at Ingenext for $65.00 but I don't want to purchase it, if there's nothing wrong with my part, or if there may be something wrong with the Ingenext part. It's easy enough to replace with one bolt to remove.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about
View attachment 923655

Make sure these are fully seated\connected too

View attachment 923656
Your first pic seems to show something connected in that middle spot. I just checked mine and noticed nothing is connected and I see no loose cables. Do you know what this is for?
IMG_2465.jpeg

Hello - I have been receiving this error on and off for a few months now. I jiggle and reestablish the connections of the plugs below the seat and that helps for a bit, but then it comes back randomly. Today, it wont go away.

I have a higher difficulty of resolution for this problem, I do not like in the US and have my car in a country where there is no Service Center, and shipping it out and back would cost too much.

Does anyone know what exactly is causing this issue and how I can fix it full stop? Thank you!

Hello - I have been receiving this error on and off for a few months now. I jiggle and reestablish the connections of the plugs below the seat and that helps for a bit, but then it comes back randomly. Today, it wont go away.

I have a higher difficulty of resolution for this problem, I do not like in the US and have my car in a country where there is no Service Center, and shipping it out and back would cost too much.

Does anyone know what exactly is causing this issue and how I can fix it full stop? Thank you!
I do not live* in the US.

Sorry for the typo!

I just starting getting this same error on my 2020 Model 3 SR. This is the third time it's happened. The first two times they fixed it under warranty but now my car is out of warranty due to mileage and the SC wants to charge me $734 to replace the Occupancy Classification System (OCS). The first time this happened they installed an OCS filter module. The second time they replaced the entire passenger seat. But since the seat replacement work was done more than a year ago they said it's past the 1 year warranty on any repair work as well so now I'm SOL for this issue to be covered by Tesla. I'll plan to check the wiring harnesses but wondering if anyone else here has any suggestions about what to do.

I'm on version 2023.32.6.

Thanks in advance!

With so many people having this issue, why isn’t it a safety recall???
This has been happening to us off and on for years, and now that our warranty is over it is more persistent. They don’t even troubleshoot, they just sent me an invoice for nearly $800 to approve before I can get an appointment. Tesla service is so disappointing.

I have a 3 month old Model Y that is getting a Safety Restraint System Fault/Service Required message that comes an go's at random. Any thing I can check before I try service. I'm In Wisconsin and it's a 2 hour drive hour the nearest service center as they don't seem to offer mobile service in Central Wisconsin, at lest it is not a option in the app.

Just got my ModelY back yesterday from the SC and once again the alert has come back for the Safety Restraint. After 4 unsuccessful repairs from Tesla's SC i'm throwing in the towel and going down the lemon route. Between this error and the lack of my dual zone AC working (Backwards Dual Zone AC) I'm tired of messing with it hoping for them to fix it.
Any update on your lemon law buyback? This error just popped up on my less than 1 year old my. This thread is giving me anxiety.

I have a 3 month old Model Y that is getting a Safety Restraint System Fault/Service Required message that comes an go's at random. Any thing I can check before I try service. I'm In Wisconsin and it's a 2 hour drive hour the nearest service center as they don't seem to offer mobile service in Central Wisconsin, at lest it is not a option in the app.
Is there any chance you spilled water on your passenger seat (assuming this is the seat it is referring to)? I have spilled water before and gotten this alert. It generally goes away after a few days once things dry out.

Is there any chance you spilled water on your passenger seat (assuming this is the seat it is referring to)? I have spilled water before and gotten this alert. It generally goes away after a few days once things dry out.
No I don't believe so. I currently believe it is the weight sensor is faulty as I do not get the error if some one is setting in the passengers seat, or if a bag is set in the seat.

This error popped up on my 2020 model 3 two nights ago and today I had a mobile service tech visit my house and service the vehicle. He indicated that most of the time this is serviced under warranty but that because mine showed evidence of liquid damage, it was going to be customer pay. Sure enough, two days ago I spilled my water bottle onto the front passenger seat. He said there is also a sensor inside of the cushion itself that is still showing a fault so now I have to setup another appointment to have the cushion replaced. Who knew a little water could cause such damage to a leather seat! The tech said he’s even seen these sensors get damaged from sweat. Be careful with your liquids!