Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

service required on 3701 miles on Model Y for front right safety restraint fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning when I got the following error.

RCM2_a697
front right safety restraint system fault.

Service is required.

I setup the appointment but for some reason it setup the mobile visit right away.

My MYLR is at 3701 miles.

reboot didn't fix it.
upon searching the forum, it seems like many folks had the similar issue.
its general error, means not Model Y specific.

Last edited:
This happened to my 2023 M Y a few weeks ago with only about 1,000 miles on it. Service came out (it took them several days after the issue was reported) and completely replaced the passenger's seat. That did not fix the problem. The tech did some further research on my car and discovered there was a failure with installing a software update, which stood to reason as that was about when the problem occurred. I don't know if the tech forced a software refresh or if a new one just happened to be available, but a software update soon appeared and after it installed, the issue went away. The seat (and its sensor) were probably fine.

I have couple of updats since then. Tesla came 2 weeks after I reported the issue. and they did the diagnosis and order the parts and setup another appointment a months later (july 12). last night I have another error says, TPMS monitoring is faulty, it may go away on next drive.
But it didn't go away on several drives. I hard rebooted, and error is still there.

I msg'ed tsla asking them if I need a separate appointment or they can take care this issue on july 12 when they will be here to fix the seat sensor issue.

I had another TPM fault on 6/23 and reported to tesla.

The tech finally came in yesterday.

BOLT,PN,7/16X15,STL,BLK,ADH(1117250-00-A)-
1ST ROW BUCKLE, BLK(1090323-01-D)

doesn't seems like he changed anything Significant, it looks to me just a seat belt replaced.

His diagnosis was:
Concern: The new right front seat belt is damaged and needs to be replaced

This error was disappeared automatically after I start getting TPM fault error.

For TPM fault, he put notes:
Owner will need to set up an appointment with the service center for deeper diagnosis for his tire pressure monitoring system concern

Been getting the same error message since March which is our 2 year anniversary( 3/2022 Fremont MYLR ). Error went from an RCM_a058 and weeks later it's now an RCM2_a124 passenger knee airbag resistance is too high. On Model S these were from loose ground straps but I can't find any but the one under the panel behind the glovebox and after cleaning it there's no change.
Hate to break it to the wife how much this is likely going to cost since the SRS Warranty expires at 5yr OR 60,000 miles. Our 2 year old MYLR has 60,553 miles on it and I didn't know those previous errors were warranty covered or I would have taken it in ASAP.

Thanks @DrDiesel1 , I picked up 2 SRS airbag Emulators( probably just a resistor in a box ) which measure 2.2 ohms, pulled the knee airbag and installed the 'emulator', repowered the system and still get the High Resistance sensed error so it looks like it's either what you're saying, connector pin on the RCM harness, the wire between the airbag<->RCM or the RCM itself. Since this problem has gone away over night with cold weather I have to guess that there is no reset mechanism required once the problem is removed.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Thanks @DrDiesel1 , I picked up 2 SRS airbag Emulators( probably just a resistor in a box ) which measure 2.2 ohms, pulled the knee airbag and installed the 'emulator', repowered the system and still get the High Resistance sensed error so it looks like it's either what you're saying, connector pin on the RCM harness, the wire between the airbag<->RCM or the RCM itself. Since this problem has gone away over night with cold weather I have to guess that there is no reset mechanism required once the problem is res
Yes! 👍

@DrDiesel1 it was indeed a look RCM connector! The left side connector locking lever was NOT locked in place and so it took no effort to move the lever and dislodge the connector. So it was all due to a loose connector because a factory worker didn't fully lock the latching arm. Ugh but the good thing is, I didn't let Tesla replace the knee airbag and then replace the RCM and tell me replacing the RCM fixed it. Spent many days working on this both on the car and on the Internet but learned tons, have a few new tools and a better understanding of the system. Sure would have been nice to have had a Service screen showing the actual measured resistance instead of just saying "High resistance sensed".
Thanks again for mentioning this type of thing is common on many of the old-school auto manufacturer cars/trucks too.

@DrDiesel1 it was indeed a look RCM connector! The left side connector locking lever was NOT locked in place and so it took no effort to move the lever and dislodge the connector. So it was all due to a loose connector because a factory worker didn't fully lock the latching arm. Ugh but the good thing is, I didn't let Tesla replace the knee airbag and then replace the RCM and tell me replacing the RCM fixed it. Spent many days working on this both on the car and on the Internet but learned tons, have a few new tools and a better understanding of the system. Sure would have been nice to have had a Service screen showing the actual measured resistance instead of just saying "High resistance sensed".
Thanks again for mentioning this type of thing is common on many of the old-school auto manufacturer cars/trucks too.
You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback and fix information. It helps everyone have the potential to DIY 👍