Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting into Model Y unveil?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the OC area and I'm pretty close to wear they will unveil the Model Y. What is the LA Design studio though, as per Elon Musk's tweet? I literally googled LA Design Studio and it showed me an office building in DTLA that doesn't look like it could hold a conference.

Elon Musk Tweet: Model Y unveil event on March 14 at LA Design Studio

I wonder if it's possible to just bullshit your way in since maybe there will be tons of people. What do most people wear, like suits or can people go in t shirts? I was thinking to buy an official Tesla jacket similar to what the Tesla employees wear and have a lanyard / walkie talkie and just act like I am working the event or someone important.

I've got into many big events like E3 and Comic Con, mainly by just walking really fast and wearing a bunch of lanyards. The biggest thing I ever snuck into was the Governors Ball for the Emmys, and it was as simple as walking in with a clipboard and waiting in a bathroom for 3 hours.

I live in the OC area and I'm pretty close to wear they will unveil the Model Y. What is the LA Design studio though, as per Elon Musk's tweet? I literally googled LA Design Studio and it showed me an office building in DTLA that doesn't look like it could hold a conference.

I wonder if it's possible to just bullshit your way in since maybe there will be tons of people. What do most people wear, like suits or can people go in t shirts? I was thinking to buy an official Tesla jacket similar to what the Tesla employees wear and have a lanyard / walkie talkie and just act like I am working the event or someone important.

I've got into many big events like E3 and Comic Con, mainly by just walking really fast and wearing a bunch of lanyards. The biggest thing I ever snuck into was the Governors Ball for the Emmys, and it was as simple as walking in with a clipboard and waiting in a bathroom for 3 hours.

This should work
Elon Mask

You walk past the posts where they ask you to badge in and badge out?

When I was at the Semi unveil security was actually actively checking everyone's lanyards before they were allowed in, even if you walked out and back in they would check it again. That event was at the Jet Center though, which was more open and probably would have been easier to BS your way in. The design studio basically has one entrance for the public which is a set of double doors, so it might be a lot more difficult. My recommendation is to not do it :p

You walk past the posts where they ask you to badge in and badge out?

Yeah, basically walked past those badge checkers really fast. They were swamped and people were entering / exiting in masses all at once, so it was easy to blend in. E3, I just had a bunch of lanyards and walked in while a badge checker were swamped and hid behind any large group of people. It was really the massive amount of people that made it work. Basically, just walk in while they're checking other people's badges and be confident, it's really easy if you use the crowd because it be like you didn't do it at all.

Then for Comic Con, they were scanning badges, but I had an orange vest on and walked around it like I was working there. Nobody questioned me. First year I did it, I just walked through an exit that only had a volunteer.

When I was at the Semi unveil security was actually actively checking everyone's lanyards before they were allowed in, even if you walked out and back in they would check it again. That event was at the Jet Center though, which was more open and probably would have been easier to BS your way in. The design studio basically has one entrance for the public which is a set of double doors, so it might be a lot more difficult. My recommendation is to not do it :p

I thought these unveiling events may have a massive amount of people to blend in with. And when they check, are they just glancing while a huge crowd walks through at the same time, or will they really make people go in a single file line and check each person one by one, like if we were at Disneyland entrance? Maybe I won't wait in the actual line, assuming this line is out on the public street. Maybe when they all walk in, I may try, or just find any opportunity where I can look like I work there.

Last edited:
Yeah, basically walked past those badge checkers really fast. They were swamped and people were entering / exiting in masses all at once, so it was easy to blend in. E3, I just had a bunch of lanyards and walked in while a badge checker were swamped and hid behind any large group of people. It was really the massive amount of people that made it work. Basically, just walk in while they're checking other people's badges and be confident, it's really easy if you use the crowd because it be like you didn't do it at all.

Then for Comic Con, they were scanning badges, but I had an orange vest on and walked around it like I was working there. Nobody questioned me. First year I did it, I just walked through an exit that only had a volunteer.

I thought these unveiling events may have a massive amount of people to blend in with. And when they check, are they just glancing while a huge crowd walks through at the same time, or will they really make people go in a single file line and check each person one by one, like if we were at Disneyland entrance? Maybe I won't wait in the actual line, assuming this line is out on the public street. Maybe when they all walk in, I may try, or just find any opportunity where I can look like I work there.

I did get to the event a little earlier than most people, that may have been a factor in what I experienced. There were about four security guys across a entrance space maybe 15-20 feet wide, and people sort of organized themselves in multiple lines to walk in.

Or borrow a fireman suit and say your there for counting people. But honesty aside just watch it live stream.

I've never tried pretending to be emergency official to sneak in, just because it's a very big deal if caught impersonating a government based official, not the sneaking in part. Based that it's a felony to impersonate any government official with intent to use fake authority to get someone to submit to something.

Had a friend who knew someone who was a paramedic (or something emergency medical related) who worked large events. He told me if I stole his uniform, it has a serial number that would be traced back to him, or if he decided to use his uniform to sneak in, he can get in huge trouble for using that uniform.

I think the safest thing to impersonate is a construction worker. Because technically, I could have came off work from my construction job and just didn't change out of my uniform, and decided to check out the Tesla unveiling event because I thought it was open to the public. And I don't think there is any law on the same degree of impersonating a construction worker, since they're not government officials.

Crazy story, I did get arrested for going backstage at the LA Colosseum for a Rams game. And I wore an orange vest w/ walkie talkie, but I never got charged for impersonating a construction worker, and after going to my court date, I didn't have to see a judge because no one filed any charges. If I decided to be a fire man that day, I probably would have been charged for impersonating a fire man. Maybe a fireman would have more authoritative look than a construction worker, but if police question you, you rather be caught impersonating a construction worker.

I saw someone in construction uniform at Target, so they're pretty much civilians. Probably the only civilian job title that has authority to enter without a badge possibly.

I did get to the event a little earlier than most people, that may have been a factor in what I experienced. There were about four security guys across a entrance space maybe 15-20 feet wide, and people sort of organized themselves in multiple lines to walk in.

When they checked you, did it feel like they truly checked your badge or just kinda assuming you were good? Like did you feel you may have been able to get in if you didn't have a formal invite that day and did the same exact thing?

And to those who did get invited, how do they put your name on the list or do you get something in the email? Or if you're supposed to get a badge or wristband, how do you even get one, and how do you prove you need to have one?

When they checked you, did it feel like they truly checked your badge or just kinda assuming you were good? Like did you feel you may have been able to get in if you didn't have a formal invite that day and did the same exact thing?

And to those who did get invited, how do they put your name on the list or do you get something in the email? Or if you're supposed to get a badge or wristband, how do you even get one, and how do you prove you need to have one?

They did a decent thorough look at the badge on my lanyard. I'm not the type of person who would be confident enough to do an "act like you belong" sort of thing, so for me personally I felt like I wouldn't have been able to get in without the badge.

Once you RSVP your name is put on a list (and they send you a confirmation email). Once you arrive (that is if it's similar to the Semi event) you stop by the check-in area where you give them your name and ID. They then give you the badge.

They did a decent thorough look at the badge on my lanyard. I'm not the type of person who would be confident enough to do an "act like you belong" sort of thing, so for me personally I felt like I wouldn't have been able to get in without the badge.

Once you RSVP your name is put on a list (and they send you a confirmation email). Once you arrive (that is if it's similar to the Semi event) you stop by the check-in area where you give them your name and ID. They then give you the badge.

I wonder if my Tesla keycard around a lanyard would make it look like I work there. I'm not going to show it to anyone, it's more that if I found an opportunity to just walk in, it look legit from a distance, or legit to a security guard who doesn't really give a ****.

I've been backstage to a Jack Paul / Logan Paul event, when they were fighting KSI and had a free fan event. I was up front and was super close to Jake & Logan Paul, and eventually I confessed to Logan Paul that I snuck into his event. But that was really easy though, I put on a wristband, had a vlog type camera, and security let me pass the barricade. I didn't sneak in technically, I walked up to a security member and they literally let me in, maybe because I wasn't a 10 year old and had a Canon camera on me. That may have been the one time I was formally allowed to gain access because a security member had no idea WTF was going on.

My high school journalism teacher once said the best advice he ever got was that you can get almost anywhere if you wear a suit, have a clipboard, and look like you know what you are doing.

LoL, this is exactly what I did for the Emmys Governors Ball. I wore a suit and had a clipboard as I scouted around the LA convention center for a way to enter. Once I exited the bathroom, I got all the free drinks at the open bar.

And I even lied to the serving staff that I had to make long phone call and didn't have time to have dinner with everyone else. And they didn't question me at all, they likely didn't care about my story, and just said it's no problem since they still plenty of food. I did it after everyone else finished their meals and most the tables were empty. It was really good food though, I remembered drunk texting my actor friend who has worked these events.

I even got to meet a producer of the Voice who won an Emmy. And he even let me hold it for a picture! I think it was his first Emmy in his career, and he was open to socialize like a random guy at a bar, and he let me hold his Emmy.

Your last, frantic thought will be, 'Why did I let him know my intentions?' as you look down in confusion at your body being de-rezzed line by line, pixel by pixel and follow the glinting light from the laser beams up to the balcony where Elon is standing, smiling almost imperceptibly, before he turns to walk through a doorway to a deafening roar from his adoring fans, all waving frantically in the air and clutching preciously in their sweaty little palms, their legitimate, Model Y invitations.

Reactions: ICUDoc
My high school journalism teacher once said the best advice he ever got was that you can get almost anywhere
if you wear a suit, have a clipboard, and look like you know what you are doing.
Don't look like an hobo. I think the security will block Elon...

esmk .jpg

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover