Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model Y LR 7-seat being discontinued in Mexico?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have two friends in Mexico that I have been talking to for years about buying Teslas. Interest rates are always high in Mexico (now 12%) even if you make a large down payments. Both have been saving up for two years and are finally ready to buy.

BUT BUT now the Model Y LR 7-seat is no longer showing in Tesla Mexico design studio. The 7-seat option was available in Tesla Mexico design studio.

Both friends are married with several children and in addition have extended families (grandparent) and need 6-7 seats.

Immediate family sizes and size of extended family is much larger in Mexico than in U.S. Need for 6-7 seats is much higher.

People save up for years and when finally can buy EV, Tesla has no 7 seaters and Tesla Mexico say they know nothing.

The MY 3rd row is only for two kids, for large familly better getting a MX 7-seats, but cost twice as much.

Yes, the third row seats (#6, #7) would be used for the children (current ages 4 - 8). My friends already tested Model Y 7-seater and verified the extended family (and with needed child seats) would fit comfortably and the the arrangement should work for next 6 years. Hopefully by end of 6 years Tesla will have van available. Friends want to dump their gas guzzling vans now to save money (help pay for Tesla) and by selling ICE van now they get some money back to pay for Tesla ( before ICE resale value plummets).

Tesla's are more expensive in Mexico than in USA and also there are no government subsidies.
Model X is priced as extreme luxury car. I don't know anyone who could afford anything close price of Model X.

Tesla we need Model Y LR 7-seater back in Mexico!

Some other things about USA vs Mexico, in Mexico:
1. Many more grandmothers, aunts, babysitters, assistants do not drive.
2. Most households that have cars only have one car ( many fewer families with multiple vehicles ).

------------------------------------------

Nice video example.

7 Seater Tesla, 7 People, 700 Miles!
Apr 5, 2021
Tesla of 7
------

------------------------------------------

Tesla we need Model Y LR 7-seater back in Mexico!

Last edited:
Nice video example.

7 Seater Tesla, 7 People, 700 Miles!
Apr 5, 2021
Tesla of 7
------

I was amused that all the familly lugagges will fit in the reduced 7-seat trunk !!!

I general, people need to have an additional box on the roof or a platform attached to the tow hitch.

7 Seaters 7 People 700 Miles - Trunk .jpg

Unfortunately, this is fairly typical for Tesla - to change configurations/models/prices with no notification. They don't have a Public Relations department, and someone recently posted that their phone customer support is no longer available either.... Elon is letting his Twitter experience go to his head here.

Where are the Model Y's sold in Mexico made? USA or China? Did production switch from USA to China, that might explain it.

I think all the Teslas sold in Mexico are from Tesla U.S. Fremont factory.

Canada Model Y's made in China don't have 7 seats either.

7-seat model Y was available in Mexico in 2021-2022 and my friends wanted to buy in in 2022Oct but they did not have enough money saved at that time (no approval from bank). Then in late spring 2023 Bank says loan application approved but now for over 3 months the Tesla Mexico configurator has no option for 7 seats. Tesla Mexico sales assist say no 7-seaters.

Banks in Mexico always charge much higher interest rates and require larger down payments than the banks in U.S.
U.S. made cars are more expensive here even when monetary exchange rate is good.
U.S. government gives U.S. buyers subsidies on purchase and Mexican government gives no subsidies for Mexican buyers.

So it takes much longer for Mexican buyer to save for initial purchase of new Tesla than buyers in U.S.

My friends waited & saved for years and now can't buy. These are not rich people. They will never in their entire lives be able to afford Model S or Model X type vehicles (especially at Tesla Mexico prices with Mexican bank interest rates).

Did your friends buy the Y-LR?

When I look at the configurator now it shows 7-seats as a M$60,000 option on the AWD LR, but not available on the RWD trim.

I am considering getting a TMY AWD-LR, but I’m hesitant. It might be a very unwise option, given that my home is near Zihuatanejo, Gro. Using ABRP, it seems that getting to Morelia if I needed service would be a 12 hour drive via Chilpancingo, Cuernavaca, and Temascalcingo SuperChargers. That doesn’t seem very practical.

Tesla has come to my home for almost all of my servicing needs in British Columbia, Canada. I don’t think that is likely in Guerrero.