Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting new tires??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize for probably the most basic of question. But I got a Y, and need new tires soon. On all my previous cars id just find a local tire place with cheapest tires, pay them a few hundred bucks and be on my way. I didnt really care about the tires. But on the Y, I kind of do. And because this is the case I have no idea where to even begin? Should I just replace the tires through Tesla? I am in Southern California (Orange County). Is there a good shop for Model Y tires? I dont even know what to look for as far as specifications (not size, but other stuff)....more important question, what to stay away from? thanks!

Last edited:
...Should I just replace the tires through Tesla?...I dont even know what to look for as far as specifications (not size, but other stuff).... thanks!

If you are unfamiliar with Tesla's tire service, I would suggest just using Tesla Service Center until you can gain more knowledge about the tires.

Tesla picks the brand and the particular model of tire that suits your EV (not ICE) best such range, noise, traction, durability...

(Good for ICE as recommended by a generic tire shop might not be true for EV and vice versa)

It is fine to use a generic tire shop but you need to make sure they are familiar with Tesla.

1) They might not have your tires in stock. You can tell them the brand of the tire and the model of the tire brand and its sizes as imprinted on your present tires. The model of the tire brand might be important because some don't have the tire noise suppression foam and some do.

2) Make sure when they lift your car, they don't damage your car main battery that the bottom.

3) Make sure they can do a 4 wheel alignment because some don't buy software to do that for a particular brand of car or a certain model of Tesla. Otherwise, you'll just need to do that with Tesla after your tires are done with the generic tire shop.

Last edited:
Nothing special, at all, about Tesla tires, except load ratings are higher than one might expect. It's a small but HEAVY SUV, and Discount Tire, Firestone, etc, are fully aware of that.

Go to TireRack, do some quick research. You'll find that there are only a few tires that are the right size and load rating for the Model Y. They are rated for various qualities: wet, dry, noise, durability. You can also phone them. I've found their customer service to be excellent. You can price them there, and learn that Discount Tire or Firestone will usually match that price.

Good luck. Enjoy the learning, it's not a steep curve!!

When my stock 21” run out im installing
Potenza RE-71R, stiff sidewall and sticky for awesome reactions.
I have them on my other car and use them in autocross too.
they wear out faster than stock but way more fun!!
**** it you only live once!

3) Make sure they can do a 4 wheel alignment because some don't buy software to do that for a particular brand of car or a certain model of Tesla. Otherwise, you'll just need to do that with Tesla after your tires are done with the generic tire shop.

FWIW, getting an alignment with a tire change is unnecessary unless your used tires show irregular wear.

To OP: any respectable tire shop in Orange County is going to be familiar with Teslas. Either go through Tesla directly, or find a Discount Tire or similar near you with good reviews.

Nothing special, at all, about Tesla tires, except load ratings are higher than one might expect. It's a small but HEAVY SUV, and Discount Tire, Firestone, etc, are fully aware of that.

Go to TireRack, do some quick research. You'll find that there are only a few tires that are the right size and load rating for the Model Y. They are rated for various qualities: wet, dry, noise, durability. You can also phone them. I've found their customer service to be excellent. You can price them there, and learn that Discount Tire or Firestone will usually match that price.

Good luck. Enjoy the learning, it's not a steep curve!!

Mind sharing your experience as far as different rated tires and pricing?

I apologize for probably the most basic of question. But I got a Y, and need new tires soon. On all my previous cars id just find a local tire place with cheapest tires, pay them a few hundred bucks and be on my way. I didnt really care about the tires. But on the Y, I kind of do. And because this is the case I have no idea where to even begin? Should I just replace the tires through Tesla? I am in Southern California (Orange County). Is there a good shop for Model Y tires? I dont even know what to look for as far as specifications (not size, but other stuff)....more important question, what to stay away from? thanks!
I stuck with Continental as I’ve been pleased with them in the past but upgraded from the stock tires Tesla ships to the ExtremeContact DWS06. Money well spent - I immediately noticed an improvement in overall ride quality.

Reactions: mark95476
I stuck with Continental as I’ve been pleased with them in the past but upgraded from the stock tires Tesla ships to the ExtremeContact DWS06. Money well spent - I immediately noticed an improvement in overall ride quality.
My experience with mainstream tire manufacturers has generally been (and this obviously depends on the quality of the tire being specced):

Michelin>>>Falken>Continental/Bridgestone>>>>>>>>>Pirelli. I've never disliked a Michelin tire and never liked a Pirelli. Falken is a noticeable step down but tremendous value compared to other performance tires.

Reactions: casey1202
My experience with mainstream tire manufacturers has generally been (and this obviously depends on the quality of the tire being specced):

Michelin>>>Falken>Continental/Bridgestone>>>>>>>>>Pirelli. I've never disliked a Michelin tire and never liked a Pirelli. Falken is a noticeable step down but tremendous value compared to other performance tires.
I won’t disagree with you about Michelin as they are generally great tires. That being said, I’ve been really impressed with the higher end tires from Continental, especially for the price.

Reactions: mark95476
How long have you had the DWS tires and how are they holding up?

I recently had my OEM Contis rotated at ~7k miles and wear has been even and good.

Does anyone have experience with the Vredestein Quadtrac Pro tires on the 20” induction wheels? They get great reviews on Tire Rack but are tough to find. As an alternative, I was considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 Plus.
I can't speak from personal experience, but I do have a friend with them on his MY LR with 19" wheels. He bought them based on the excellent reviews and ratings on Tire Rack and he loves them - said they absolutely live up to the hype. He specifically mentioned an immediate improvement in terms of ride quality and said they are the best wet traction tires he's ever had.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung