Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting pissed with degredation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a phone with over 1100 cycles with only 13% loss of battery. I have a Tesla with a 9.38% loss of original pack when new with only 12000 miles with 56 charge cycles. This past month with just under 1000miles I have lost another 10miles of range leaving me down to 285miles. I've tried all the tricks and nothing works. I've sent a very angry service request to Tesla telling them not to tell me the same old b.s. sorry to vent. Just getting pissed
Screenshot_20200831-190811.jpg
Screenshot_20200831-190828.jpg

I hear your pain. I see it happening to many others (and thus, you get the dreaded "within spec"). There is no salve for this wound, but you can learn to not get wounded the same way again.

Remember this when you go to buy/lease your next vehicle, whenever that may be. Maybe by that time, we can find a company that has better, tighter guarantees and more honest marketing regarding capacity expectations. Or maybe they get regulated to heck. One can hope.

Nice cell balance btw.

My condolences. You're not alone. There's many of us spending too much of our time trying to decipher how the BMS is reporting range and if our degradation is real or not. Not something I anticipated when I purchased this car. I myself have many more miles than you at 50k but I'm sitting at around 12% loss which is upsetting. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes down but it ultimately seems like its on a downward trend over time. I drive my cars as long as possible before selling or trading in and I intended to keep this car well past 100k miles but at this rate I don't have too much faith in the battery to continue to be "Long Range". It will eventually be just a commute car.

I have a Cybertruck preorder and this cars reliability is the determining factor if I'm gonna go through with it. If my battery continues this way, I might have to hold off on any future EV purchases until there is a technological breakthrough in battery tech (Solid State). I'm hoping battery day has some good info.

Last edited:
I get 199-202 miles displayed on the guessometer of my SR+ at a 90% charge and 225-228 miles on a 100% charge if that makes you feel any better. Never seen the EPA 240 but I don't drive like the EPA tests their cars.

That's basically unlimited range for all my driving needs though so I'm happy

So I have a phone with over 1100 cycles with only 13% loss of battery. I have a Tesla with a 9.38% loss of original pack when new with only 12000 miles with 56 charge cycles. This past month with just under 1000miles I have lost another 10miles of range leaving me down to 285miles. I've tried all the tricks and nothing works. I've sent a very angry service request to Tesla telling them not to tell me the same old b.s. sorry to vent. Just getting pissedView attachment 582966 View attachment 582967
Hey Ketchup. Same here. I’ve only got 1900 miles, and I’ve lost 3%. There seems to be a lot of people lately who have lost the battery lottery. I got the same BS from Tesla. My 3 LR RWD had none of these issues at 12500 miles and a year and half of driving.

How many miles do you actually get out of a charge when you drive it? The number on the screen is almost useless. My 310 number is pretty accurate on trips, but if I have two weeks of dozens of short trips I'm not close to touching 310.
What are you basing getting screwed on? 100% charge display?

Oh and FYI you should charge your cell :D

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
Degradation happens, and you probably knew it before you bought. If you were so concerned, Tesla makes cars with 400 miles of range. But since the battery is the expensive part, that range costs.

This should be an educational moment. DO NOT buy the least amount of battery you think you will need. IT WILL DEGRADE. Most batteries lose 5 to 10 percent the FIRST YEAR (sorry for the caps, but....) and then it will degrade further each year thereafter. Every year. That's what batteries do, even in cell phones. But even with cell phones, people either buy a bigger battery or they plan to charge it all the time, plugging in while driving or working.

I can't understand why you didn't know this, but you should know you will never get an adjudication in your favor.

Very informative thread if you haven’t read it yet.
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

This explains alot of the recovery I have seen since not commuting for the last few months.

Car was charging, ready to leave in the morning, then sitting in the parking lot, with cooler & sentry on most of the day. Then commuting home, cooling down, plugging in, with about 50% battery charge. So no real time when there was 3hrs+ with the car asleep, with it at a higher battery charge. So BMS looks like it was gradually getting worse and worse.

But, now not commuting, it's had plenty of time, sitting, sleeping. plugged in for long periods for the BMS to re-adjust.

upload_2020-9-1_9-59-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-1_9-52-25.png
    upload_2020-9-1_9-52-25.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 198
Hey Ketchup. Same here. I’ve only got 1900 miles, and I’ve lost 3%. There seems to be a lot of people lately who have lost the battery lottery. I got the same BS from Tesla. My 3 LR RWD had none of these issues at 12500 miles and a year and half of driving.

To be utterly fair, your case is actually very very normal.

The old LR RWD was hiding initial degradation on you, about 2.5% of it. The 2020 LR AWD is not. 3% on the old RWD would've looked like about 0.5%, which would knock only a mile or two off the display.

The choice for 2020 is double-edged. It's far more honest about capacity, but it makes it look like it's degrading faster than previous models when it really isn't.

You're right - too much info for me to worry about. I'll pass.
Thanks

I really applaud your ability to make that decision. I'm incapable. Must. Have. All. Data!

This explains alot of the recovery I have seen since not commuting for the last few months.

Car was charging, ready to leave in the morning, then sitting in the parking lot, with cooler & sentry on most of the day. Then commuting home, cooling down, plugging in, with about 50% battery charge. So no real time when there was 3hrs+ with the car asleep, with it at a higher battery charge. So BMS looks like it was gradually getting worse and worse.

But, now not commuting, it's had plenty of time, sitting, sleeping. plugged in for long periods for the BMS to re-adjust.

View attachment 583240

Watch the forum for an upcoming thread, but this was probably balancing and not BMS calibration. That is, you genuinely increased extractable energy of the battery. The BMS is incredibly accurate.

I really applaud your ability to make that decision. I'm incapable. Must. Have. All. Data!

For some, having all the data is a healthy exercise, allowing them access to dig deeper into the way the car works, and provides enjoyment as they figure it out.

For many others, having all the data provides endless hours of frustration as they obsess about things they can not change, and encourages them to make demands that can not be met.

You fall squarely into the first camp :D