Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for a long 3000 mile trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all will be going on my first trip from Fl to upstate NY, Pa and Delaware never used a super charger before looking forward to mapping my trip hoping I'll be able to find chargers when I need them. From talking with a couple of other Tesla owners they say there were no problems finding chargers. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

As mentioned above, be sure to familiarize yourself with abetterrouteplanner and plugshare (both web sites and phone apps).

Bring your J1772 adapter and Mobile Connector charging kit for opportunistic L1 and L2 charging. The J1772 adapter is useful for public L2 charging stations. (Find with plugshare). Your Mobile Connector may be useful at hotels/motels where you might be able to find a 5-15 or 5-20 receptacle in the parking lot to plug into overnight. Especially as you go north - where ICE car drivers would plug in engine block heaters. Since they are often 5-20s, one can get a couple extra MPH of charging if you have the Tesla 5-20 adapter for the Mobile Connector. ($35 from the Tesla store.)

Reactions: chrstna4
Superchargers are plentiful along main routes and following tesla nav will get you to your destination. But abetterrouteplanner.com is what. I always use when planning a long trip. I even use it in the car web browser as well as tesla navigation.

Try this:

mountain_dew.jpeg

But make sure that you identify it as a used bottle.

Tesla navigation is the best way to follow routes with Superchargers, like I-95. Simply navigate to a stop you want to pass through by using voice command and you will be navigated to the best Supercharger stops for your car. If you want to stop earlier for lunch or a pee, either pick a charger within walking distance of services or stop for a carry out before parking to charge and eat while charging. Don't charge until full if you can get to your next stop with less. It will save waiting time. Tapping the charger icon on the lower right corner of the screen will show all Superchargers in your area. Install abetterrouteplanner and plugshare as favorites in the browser on the Tesla screen for easy reference, unless you have a co-pilot to use a phone app. Search Plugshare for destination chargers at hotels that have chargers for free overnight charging, either Tesla or J-1772. You can also find Tesla destination chargers by going to www.tesla.com/findus. De-select galleries, service centers and superchargers leaving only the destination charger button selected. Lastly, carry a heavy duty 50' extension cord in your frunk in case you must get a slow drip of charge from a 110v/12amp outlet not close to parking. Camp grounds that have 240v/50amp service for large coaches may also allow you to charge there in a pinch. You can go anywhere.

ABRP to plan the Supercharger stops. Use Google Maps to check out what's nearby at each of the chargers. It's also easier to find them if you know the nearest major business. It's always nice to eat at a Supercharger stop that has a good restaurant and overnight at a Supercharger hosted by a hotel. Saves a few minutes of charging. The in-car nav can also do the whole thing, but favors longer drives and charge stops which result in slightly longer trip times.

The one key trick to road tripping is to charge only enough to reach your next Supercharger stop with 15%-20% charge remaining at destination. The car will give you that information as you charge and while you drive. If that number starts dropping too low while driving (10% for me), slow down for better efficiency. Charging is much faster at 20% charge than at 70%+.

We had a problem in Arizona and New Mexico with fast food and hotel Supercharger locations that weren't allowing restroom use. And closed rest stops as well. Farther east we didn't have any problems, though that might change if COVID gets worse. I did have an emergency container with me but didn't have to use it. Malls are usually good, but may not be open early mornings. Sheetz gas stations(!) or other truck stops should always have a restroom open and food available.

We did have to eat in the car a few times when dine-in wasn't allowed. A lap tray helps with that, along with and "Eat" driver profile. Disposable wipes and hand sanitizer were indispensable. And snacks as a backup.

The main reason I recommend using ABRP over the built-in Tesla nav for planning is that you can select what % of battery you want to arrive at your final destination with. If you don’t have a charging option available or only a 110v outlet then you may want to charge longer at your last supercharger stop so you can get back to it later.

Get ABRP app for sure. Also get the plugshare app to identify opportunity charging sites or emergency charging sites. have a great trip.
Make sure you understand basics for supercharging (charges fast at lower SOC, charges slow over 80% SOC, how pairing at V1/V2 superchargers work, knowing which superchargers are V1/2, V3, or urban and why that’s important). You’ll be amazed how easy road trips are in a Tesla.

With current Covid, things are changing all the time, and sometimes on a daily basis. You will figure it out as you travel. Sometimes I have even used a Porta Potty when the restaurant near the charger was closed. For the most part it has been no issue, as there always seems to be a solution.
Things seem to be opening up more and more, but each region seems to make their own rules.
Keep that Mt. Dew bottle handy :)

Being a Trucker I have all those problems covered bring my own potty with me I travel 700 mile a day 5 days a week in a big truck. Now going to do some distance driving in the Tesla just hopping the charing isn't a problem but from what I read there will be no problems. Just going to have to stop for my side kick Molly a 20 pound Cockapoo.

Reactions: elf9