Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting thru chain control without chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continuing the snow ski related theme of my last post, I've seen all the posts about how well the MS handles snow with either AWD or RWD, especially with winter tires, but haven't specifically seen this topic addressed. What I'm curious about is whether chain control, especially in the Tahoe area, will let the car thru if AWD and with M+S tires on?

I believe the rule on the California roads is that you must have 4 wheel drive or AWD (not sure of the difference) and have tires rated for M+S to get thru chain control without chains, but I seem to remember a post on some other forum that said they were required to put chains on with their presumably qualified MS. I get thru with my LandCruiser with M+S tires all the time, just curious whether it can be done with the MS as well. As you can probably guess, I am not terribly interested in wrestling with chains in blizzards.

Thanks,
Wuggado?

Most of the time chain control in the Sierras is "R2" which means AWD with snow tires is OK. I've been through chain control with my 85D and never a problem. Just tell the guy it's AWD and you're good to go. (Theoretically, you should carry chains with you but I've never been asked if I have them.)
Rarely, chain control is "R3" which requires chains even on AWD. Generally, if it's R3 you don't even want to think about driving anywhere. I've never put chains on my Tesla and I don't even own them.

Most of the time chain control in the Sierras is "R2" which means AWD with snow tires is OK. I've been through chain control with my 85D and never a problem. Just tell the guy it's AWD and you're good to go. (Theoretically, you should carry chains with you but I've never been asked if I have them.)
Rarely, chain control is "R3" which requires chains even on AWD. Generally, if it's R3 you don't even want to think about driving anywhere. I've never put chains on my Tesla and I don't even own them.

Awesome to hear this. I assume you don't drive around all year with M+S tires on?

I have never been in a Model S during a snowstorm where R2 was up. In a 4x4 pickup or SUV the CalTRANS guy has never even bent down to look at the tires let alone have me show him my chains. I used to keep a set in the back of the SUV that I could point to, but they would have never fit the car, just in case. After about 5 years I stopped doing even that.

My recommendation is that if they really hassle you about not having a set of chains when you do have AWD and M&S tires is that it would be a good idea to turn around and wait it out a bit. If it's that bad they are going that deep, you don't want to go there.

Awesome to hear this. I assume you don't drive around all year with M+S tires on?
I switch between the factory Pirellis M&S (winter) and Michelin (summer). I bought the winter tire package with wheels which makes it easy to switch.
I switched to summer Michelins just a few weeks ago and since then we have had a few snow storms (like today) but the snow melts fast so not a problem. (The summer Michelins are OK in slush.)

I assume you don't drive around all year with M+S tires on?

Sure I do. Why not? The standard 19" tires from Tesla on the S are rated M+S (USA - no idea what Tesla uses in other countries). Most non-performance car tires have the M+S stamp on them (again, USA. No idea about other countries). That doesn't necessarily make them good tires in the snow; it just means they meet the legal requirement for the M+S stamp .

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Sure I do. Why not? The standard 19" tires from Tesla on the S are rated M+S (USA - no idea what Tesla uses in other countries). Most non-performance car tires have the M+S stamp on them (again, USA. No idea about other countries). That doesn't necessarily make them good tires in the snow; it just means they meet the legal requirement for the M+S stamp .

I have read that winter tires are softer, thus would wear much faster than summer tires when the weather gets hot. How much faster I can't speak to.

"Winter tires" are not the same as "M+S" all season tires.

Thanks for clarifying. All this time I have been driving my LandCruiser in some pretty serious snow with just all-season M+S tires on thinking I had on the best protection I could get short of having chains. The only time I ever had traction issues was when I went up with the tread a little more worn than I should have.

Thanks for clarifying. All this time I have been driving my LandCruiser in some pretty serious snow with just all-season M+S tires on thinking I had on the best protection I could get short of having chains. The only time I ever had traction issues was when I went up with the tread a little more worn than I should have.

True snow rated tires carry the Severe Service Emblem. M+S tires without it are not real snow tires.

image.gif

Micheline Xice, Nokain Hakkapelliita R2, Nokian WRG3.... Put any of those on an AWD Tesla and it'll be smooth sailing.

I have been cleared through chain control checkpoints on I-80 in Tahoe driving my 1985 Volvo 740 wagon (rwd) with Michelin snow tires, as well as my 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (fwd) with Dunlop snow tires. Both cars were equipped with tires bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol shown above.

I haven't been through a chain control checkpoint in our P85 yet, but we have Dunlop snow tires for it. (I actually just swapped them off the car today after washing the car, so its probably going to dump snow...)

We've driven through some pretty heavy snow with our P85 on these Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires and its done really well.

I have been cleared through chain control checkpoints on I-80 in Tahoe driving my 1985 Volvo 740 wagon (rwd) with Michelin snow tires, as well as my 2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (fwd) with Dunlop snow tires. Both cars were equipped with tires bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol shown above.

I haven't been through a chain control checkpoint in our P85 yet, but we have Dunlop snow tires for it. (I actually just swapped them off the car today after washing the car, so its probably going to dump snow...)

We've driven through some pretty heavy snow with our P85 on these Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires and its done really well.

Interesting. I always heard it had to be a 4wd. From all the responses it seems clear that a 90D with all season tires should make it thru except in the absolute worst cases, in which case maybe we don't want to be going thru at all.

If you have a dual motor car. You really see the electrical drive system shine in snow. It's instant traction fixing reactions are tremendous. I once did a 300 mile journey through a huge snowstorm and yuge elevation changes and made it with my ps2 performance summer only tires. I made it right through the chain check and was never stopped or pulled over or anything. The car only lost control for mere seconds twice in 300 miles... These were def oh sh!t moments but the tesla was able to regain traction by itself in a very impressive manner. We know with snow tires the car is an animal. As I would expect it to be. Those really help haha. But if you use mostly Regen to slow down (it works. Brakes don't at all. You will slide just as expected) you will have traction even with the ps2s in the snow.

If you have a dual motor car. You really see the electrical drive system shine in snow. It's instant traction fixing reactions are tremendous. I once did a 300 mile journey through a huge snowstorm and yuge elevation changes and made it with my ps2 performance summer only tires. I made it right through the chain check and was never stopped or pulled over or anything. The car only lost control for mere seconds twice in 300 miles... These were def oh sh!t moments but the tesla was able to regain traction by itself in a very impressive manner. We know with snow tires the car is an animal. As I would expect it to be. Those really help haha. But if you use mostly Regen to slow down (it works. Brakes don't at all. You will slide just as expected) you will have traction even with the ps2s in the snow.
I have been amazed at the performance of the Dual Motor version in snow. It's really glued to the road. It's really hard to make it slip. I even tried to make is slip once in a heavy snow storm. I stopped on a deserted frontage road then floored the go pedal. The car just accelerated smoothly and in a straight line. I then slammed on the brakes and it decelerated smoothly in a straight line... incredible traction control!

Reactions: Evee
Interesting. I always heard it had to be a 4wd. From all the responses it seems clear that a 90D with all season tires should make it thru except in the absolute worst cases, in which case maybe we don't want to be going thru at all.
what you've said is correct in CO, I don't know what the laws are in other states.
in CO I never saw any actual inspection the way the chain regs are enforced is after running off the road or crashing and if you are not in compliance with the regs in effect they hit you with, I believe, a $1k fine.

what you've said is correct in CO, I don't know what the laws are in other states.
in CO I never saw any actual inspection the way the chain regs are enforced is after running off the road or crashing and if you are not in compliance with the regs in effect they hit you with, I believe, a $1k fine.
In California, whenever there is chain control, they set up a checkpoint and stop every car to check their tires and 4WD and they will turn you around if you don't pass. (I've never had them ask to see my chains which you are supposed to carry if you have 4WD with snow tires.)