Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting too used to Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night, at the end of a long rush hour commute. I was in dead stopped traffic right before a sweeping right turn, AP engaged.

I decide it would be a good time to dig up one of the new tracks I had spent last weekend ripping from my CD collection.

So I was digging through the song list and finally found what I was looking for. Probably took 5 seconds. I had felt the car start to move while doing this but never bothered to lookup.

When I finally looked up, I realized I had rounded the bend and was going 45mph. Absolutely nothing wrong with AP. Handled it perfectly. Me on the other hand? Caught completely off guard and unaware that I was moving that fast.

It was quite a shock to realize I had allowed myself to lose situational awareness to that degree. I guess it's very easy to get a little too comfortable with this technology!

So last night, at the end of a long rush hour commute. I was in dead stopped traffic right before a sweeping right turn, AP engaged.

I decide it would be a good time to dig up one of the new tracks I had spent last weekend ripping from my CD collection.

So I was digging through the song list and finally found what I was looking for. Probably took 5 seconds. I had felt the car start to move while doing this but never bothered to lookup.

When I finally looked up, I realized I had rounded the bend and was going 45mph. Absolutely nothing wrong with AP. Handled it perfectly. Me on the other hand? Caught completely off guard and unaware that I was moving that fast.

It was quite a shock to realize I had allowed myself to lose situational awareness to that degree. I guess it's very easy to get a little too comfortable with this technology!
I agree. This monster that Tesla unleashed called AP, is so bloody damn good, sometimes you forget the fact that you are still in control.

Or are you. ? Just kidding. We were impressed with autopilot on our test drives of the 3.
In fact for me AP is so good, that I have very little additional value in FSD. I mean I turn on AP for more than 90% of my driving, commute, weekend chores, long distance driving. So the rest 10%, it doesn't matter if I am forced to drive !!

In fact for me AP is so good, that I have very little additional value in FSD. I mean I turn on AP for more than 90% of my driving, commute, weekend chores, long distance driving. So the rest 10%, it doesn't matter if I am forced to drive !!
FSD will allow you to take a nap, read emails, watch a movie, etc.
Most people would find that very useful. Once it's out of beta of course...

Yeah I'm planning on getting it eventually. Probably right after the next time Elon tweets that it's going to go up substantially again!
That's what I did. Future proofing my car for $2k was a bargain.

As for Autopilot, it infuriates me when I see people with no personal experience with Autopilot stating it's highly dangerous. It really does work well 95% of the time. I'm always hopeful I'm paying attention during that 5%.

For a new buyer a little unaware of The new AP compared to the old EAP ; are you using primarily/exclusively the features on Auto Pilot or some of the EAP features?

Sorry if a silly question, they have made it confusing

For a new buyer a little unaware of The new AP compared to the old EAP ; are you using primarily/exclusively the features on Auto Pilot or some of the EAP features?

Sorry if a silly question, they have made it confusing

The version of autopilot that came with my car is essentially adaptive cruise control + self steering. If I need to change lanes, I signal and it disengages the steering part but the adaptive CC is still on. Also, even if I'm not using AP, lane keep assist will kick in if I start to drift out of my lane without signalling first.

Automatic lane changing is NOT included and neither is navigate on AP. I have to get FSD to get those features.

Not sure how that compares to the old EAP. Hope that answers your question.

Yeah. We're in a dangerous period right now where Autopilot can handle every routine interaction except stop signs and traffic lights well, but not solve or alert for hazards you might encounter.

It is very easy to get lulled into trusting it and go do something distracted - and probably 95% of the time nothing bad will happen as a result, which is part of why it's so easy.

We really need level 3 to show up soon, with the car handling road debris and potholes and deer and the like or at least prompting you about them, so the folks who will be trusting it and getting distracted will be safe doing so.

Reactions: GoingVerde
It’s the 5% of the time when AP can’t handle it that led me to choose not to bother with it at all. I personally find it much easier to drive the car myself than to supervise AP driving for me.

Your life, your money, your choices.

For me, it's not even close. Except for moderate levels of traffic on three or more lane interstates, Autopilot is way, way easier to supervise.

(It's actually easy to supervise them, too - but that's where a little more intelligence and aggressiveness can net you a significant difference in drive time.)

You just have to be careful that you are still supervising for that 5%.

And I really wish they'd stop the aggressive centering on lane merges...

You just have to be careful that you are still supervising for that 5%.

And I really wish they'd stop the aggressive centering on lane merges...

NoA solves the Y split confusion. Simple AP is getting better too at this but not 100% and still gets confused. Especially in heavy construction cities (like every NA city).

The ability to peer into other cars is fun though ;)

NoA solves the Y split confusion. Simple AP is getting better too at this but not 100% and still gets confused. Especially in heavy construction cities (like every NA city).

The ability to peer into other cars is fun though ;)

It's not that. The one thing I hate about AP right now is that at every onramp it'll slide half out of the lane and then abruptly back in as the merge happens, it sees itself in one big lane and then the lane narrows.

Some states like Tennessee have dots on most of the onramps which stop it, but otherwise I have to choose between an uncomfortable joggle that looks drunk/distracted or breaking Autopilot for every onramp. (Or driving in another lane, when there's no proper reason to.)

Reactions: erik_k and JaredW