Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gf cant get into car with iphone app. 24/7 SERVICE WONT ANSWER PHONE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well now, it is a stretch to say it has "nothing" to do with saving money. It does save cost whether that is the main motive or not. Personally I am not a fan of being required to carry my phone to open a car.
I'm not sure about that. I think the cost of the near-field receivers in the car and the ID cards is likely similar to the conventional fob + radio interfaces. If it is then there is no cost savings for Tesla.

Reactions: FlyF4
I'm not sure about that. I think the cost of the near-field receivers in the car and the ID cards is likely similar to the conventional fob + radio interfaces. If it is then there is no cost savings for Tesla.
Yes, not far apart. I have designed both for other clients. Fob was twice the cost in 100,000 quan. Likely even closer at the quan T buys them. I've never asked.

Sometime last year, May or June, shortly after I purchased the S, I forgot my fob. I was in a rush, but decided to go back and get it.

Later that day, I was trying to pre-cool the car and it wouldn’t connect. Found out there was some at&t outage affecting the data connections. My phone worked fine. Lucky I went back.

I’ve made sure to carry the fob ever since.

This reminds me that it's a bit entertaining the APP reports "Temporary Maintenance" :D I guess that is simpler than saying.... our server is completely dead and we are not sure if we will ever get that thing running again!? :rolleyes:
Yeah, was telling my GF, wtf, what’s permanent maintenance?

They actually probably meant ‘Temporsrily unavailable for maintenance’ and didn’t have the space. But what gets me is the time it took to put that up and the lack of planning that they have no alternatives. Something must have gone extremely wrong.

• Love
Reactions: FlyF4
She is not happy right now. even called service center and no help-on hold for ever...still...wait till the 3 is out-will be a nightmare!

Point is the car is at the mercy of all the tech stuff which sucks.

And it won't just be Teslas cars down the road but other mfgrs as well at times. Hey just wait when all those home connected things have server issues.

A few years back the phone lines and electricity as I recall all went out. Sabotage by someone cutting all the cables underground. Didn't have service for a few days. Felt like the dark ages. I insist on still maintaining one of those old-fashioned phone connections called a land line so in event of wireless phone carrier going out, we can still at least call out from home.

Last edited:
Yea. This is why I would never trust going without my fob. It is so dependent on the servers that in a case like today when the network is down, you are stuck without a car.

Even so if you end up in a situation without cellphone coverage (carrier outage or other physical reasons due to locality). Both of us keep our fobs with us even with our phones in tote all the time.

Remembering about member here relaying he was driving in desert area (no cell coverage) and when he got out of car to take some scenic photos and closed door (auto lock) he had a bad feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: vraev
This is all on Tesla’s end. If you don’t believe it, try your app when your phone is on wifi. :D
Doesn’t prove anything unless the car is also on wifi.

Edit: to clarify for @FlyF4 and @DerekH , I’m not arguing it’s a Tesla server issue, it definitely is. I’m in Australia and still have the problem, using a totally different cellular network.
My point is that the car’s cellular provider might be the same as your phone, so just switching your phone to wifi doesn’t actually prove it’s a server error. You would have to make sure both car and phone were on wifi before you could definitively rule out the cellular network as the fault.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DerekH and FlyF4
Doesn’t prove anything unless the car is also on wifi.
I'm pretty sure he meant both your car and phone are on Wi-Fi (which mine currently are)

This is no longer a debate tho, the error message now states "temporary maintenance".... It's clearly a Tesla issue

516_F5_E7_D-1_DCF-4_B68-_B9_D2-5_F1979_CCA63_E.png