Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin update from Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Elon has just tweeted this :) Can't wait to see what the Model Y will be like when we get it!
19B475EF-DCC2-4345-972A-86CF62236EC1.png

No mention of timing in that tweet. That may mean that Berlin is scheduled to be the first plant to use the big castings and the new batteries, but not necessarily from the first day of production, perhaps.

I thought the 4680 and structural battery were only for the Plaid S?
That's probably the first car that will come with 4680 cells, but probably more as a retrofit, so slot them into the space where the existing battery back is, unlike the Y I've not seem them showing any single piece casting for the S or X as these are more premium cars so cost cutting and mass production is less important.
the structural battery pack idea that requires the 4680 cells is the next step on the model y casting technology. So I would assume the model Y's made in the Berlin factory will be the first cars to try this cast front and back bolted to a structural battery pack idea. Elon has stated that the Model Y's in Berlin will not be made using the current manufacturing process and it doesn't seem cost effective to build two production lines with different process

No mention of timing in that tweet. That may mean that Berlin is scheduled to be the first plant to use the big castings and the new batteries, but not necessarily from the first day of production, perhaps.
Doesn’t seem reasonable to invest in manufacturing techniques that are obsolete already, though.
He did mention increased risk to production, so Giga Berlin may well be a test bed.
He may even start glueing the roofs properly!

Reactions: JS77
From what I understand, the castings are production-ready now, so using those makes a lot of sense, but I interpreted the battery day announcement as not being very clear on the production readiness of the 4680 cells. Although they are well on the way with the structural pack design, I thought the cells themselves were still in the R&D phase, and the tabless design hadn't yet been made ready for mass production (I could be wrong).

The paint system probably just goes with the new build, as it did in China. According to Sandy Munro, Tesla's paint problems stem from the age of the Fremont plant as much as anything else.

My interpretation of battery day was that there were several stages of cell improvement that would happen over the next 3 years.

Making the cells bigger at 4680 and tabless seemed to be a problem they’ve solved.
It was the dry battery electrode process that needed more refining and also the pure silicon electrode that didn’t seem totally ready.

I would guess they will make structural battery packs with 4680 cell cans from the start and can improve the cell chemistry over time.

That way they wouldn’t have to change the production line just the components.

Reactions: mtndrew1
My interpretation of battery day was that there were several stages of cell improvement that would happen over the next 3 years.

Making the cells bigger at 4680 and tabless seemed to be a problem they’ve solved.
It was the dry battery electrode process that needed more refining and also the pure silicon electrode that didn’t seem totally ready.

I would guess they will make structural battery packs with 4680 cell cans from the start and can improve the cell chemistry over time.

That way they wouldn’t have to change the production line just the components.
I'm fairly sure they can currently produce the cells that were shown in battery day, just not in the insane quantities they need and at the cost they are aiming for. If you look at a purely volume bases assessment a 5x capacity increase isn't actually that impressive as the volume is nearer 5.5x so I don't think there's much chemistry improvements in that 5x (above those needed for the dry coating) and they could possibly post higher figures in the future.
Their 3 year plan is to move almost all production over to these new cells, I can't see it being an issue if they aim to produce enough 4680 cells for Berlin by the end of next year at the same price point as the current cells. it's probably less than 5% of their target battery production capacity, which can't be that high of a target. So slower and more expensive production then leading into faster and cheaper production over the next few years.
I think the issue with the battery day announcement is they tried to wow with a monumental change in 3-5 years, and didn't really cover that they would also be making smaller but important changes next year. if they had said things like "Here's the plaid edition running these 4680 cells, and they're ready to start goin in cars next year" and "Here's the new chassis technology rolling out in Berlin next year" more people would have been impressed.... even if they missed their usual deadlines.