Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would believe that. Y moved to December for me today, so it's clearly scheduled for an Austin build. I figured it was anyway since that's their focus.
You guys speak as if Fremont will be shut down when Austin opens... If they produce the same cars, then it's basically a coin toss which one you get... More likely, the two factories will build different skus...

Austin was built to scale Y's then CT's, so it's a pretty easy assumption to make that Q4 is expected beginning of mass production of Y's. That being said, it doesn't mean the transition won't have plenty of Fremont Y's.

The reason I personally made this assumption is because...

1.) It's an estimate. It's subject to change and they're likely being optimistic about Austin being at scale production.

2.) The goal was always to move Y to Austin and in essence they're kicking the can on late 2Q, Early 3Q orders to Q4 and Austin.

It could just as easily be Fremont, though. You're not wrong.

My November delivery was just changed to December. Now I'll be disappointed if it isn't the newer battery and build from Austin.
I wouldn't expect the new battery. The last earnings call made that seem like it was still a bit away. If it is ready there's also something to be said for not wanting to be one of the first ones with new tech. Lots more opportunities for issues before they are all ironed out.

But the Austin build would give you the Model Y body that has been made with the casts.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
I have the same feeling it's possible it will be built in Austin. I ordered my red Model Y back in 6/4, used to have an estimated date around Aug 12- Sep 4. Today 8/2, all the sudden my estimate was revised to October...It better be come from Giga Texas.
It seems like a lot of people‘s dates changed to October. My SA said Tesla normally kicks out a date to then see it pulled back in earlier to the original timeframe

I don’t care about where it comes from. I would just like to see an option for a longer range battery suitable for our trailer towing plans. A nice round 600 km range would be nice. We are not ordering until January anyway as we need a spring 2022 delivery.
Why wouldn’t you order now and then as your SA to put a 3 month or longer hold on it? That way you get protected from future price increases.

With the recent news of possible production MYs being produced in Giga Texas within 2 months (First Tesla Model Y Weeks Away From Rolling Out Of Giga Texas) would this change anyone's mind re: waiting for a new model Y?

I feel like I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster deciding what to do with my existing MY order and need a gut-check.

With the high resale value of our 2018 M3 LR RWD, we decided to order MYLR on 6/18 to lock in the rising price of MYLR. We have an EDD of ~late Aug/early Sept. but new model years have been introduced around mid-October the last 2 years and I expect 2022 model to follow the same pattern. I am NOT expecting any substantive changes for MY22, but since we'd theoretically only be a month away it might make sense to wait a bit for the better resale value 2022 model.

However, putting our delivery on hold may cause our delivery date to be pushed WAY back since I'm pretty sure you get moved to the back of the line once you remove your hold rather than resuming your place near the front. I'm worried the value of our M3 would start to fall in that time (estimated delivery for new MYLR orders say December).

I had given up on any Giga Texas improvements like the dual casting, structural pack, 4680 updates after the shareholder meeting made it sound like it would be further off then expected (my guess was 6mo. - 1yr away). However, this recent news has got me thinking about if it would be worth it to wait again. It sounds like you would probably get the front and rear casting (and the weight reduction, structural rigidity that comes along with that) and better paint but I doubt they would be ready to use the 4680 cells and thus the structural pack(?). Would there be any real advantage in the near term?

There's no guarantee you would even be able to order from Giga Texas, that there would be any range improvement (maybe due to weight reduction?), and/or if you would have to deal with the usual Tesla ramp up build quality issues.

I'm still leaning toward taking delivery Late Aug/Sept but wondered if anyone who considered the Giga Texas production and improvements further out than they seem to be, has changed their minds after hearing this news?

I know everyone wants thave the front casting and 4680 cells, and maybe I’m in the minority, but given Tesla’s track record with new/significantly updated launches I would not want to be getting a car from a brand new factory where employees are still learning as well as new tech that hasn’t had the kinks worked out yet.

Besides simplifying production I don’t know of too many benefits to the front casting and considering the massive demand there is going to be for the 4680s for the CT and Semi and all the other applications my money is on the 4680 packs being similar in capacity to the current size packs.

I think getting a Y now where most of the early issues have been resolved and letting them figure out these changes over the next year or so and then upgrading later is the safest bet.

I know everyone wants thave the front casting and 4680 cells, and maybe I’m in the minority, but given Tesla’s track record with new/significantly updated launches I would not want to be getting a car from a brand new factory where employees are still learning as well as new tech that hasn’t had the kinks worked out yet.
I've had similar musings the past few days. Just ordered last week and wrapping my head around this whole order/VIN/delivery thing as my estimated delivery bounced from November to December. After reading warnings about
  • Quality at end of Quarter
  • Quality while scaling up production
... I expect I'll be going over my MYLR with a fine toothed comb before taking delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.