Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

!GigaFactory Glympse Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am driving out to Reno/Sparks (from Denver, Colorado) for the GigaFactory Grand Opening starting this Wednesday. Anyone else driving? I thought it would be cool to set up a group Glympse so that we can see everyone descending on Reno/Sparks for the Gigafactory.

To anyone who hasn't used the app, to share your location follow these steps.
1) Click the arrow in the top right of the screen.
2) Select "share location".
3) Select "send Glympse to".
4) Then select "search or enter new".
5) Type in "!GigaFactory".
6) Go to the previous screen.
7) Add a time under "watch me for". You can always add more time later if you wish.
8) Optional. Add "Going to" location as "Tesla GigaFactory 1". It will pre-populate the address.
** Under settings there is a "broadcast my speed" toggle. In case there is anyone concerned with others seeing their speed. :)

I look forward to meeting you all there!

Thanks Erik

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Interesting, I didn't know about that app. Thought I would try it out. I installed it and when I tap the small gray arrow in the upper right corner I get a message saying "No Active Glympse".

When I try to add a "Favorite Glympse" it shows a "To:" line that says "enter phone number or email".

So I am not able to follow your instruction sequence. Obviously I'm missing something...

@ecarfan I'm not certain but it might not be working since I don't think he's enabled it yet. I guess we'll wait and see what he says.

For those who don't know what Glympse is, it allows you do do real-time tracking via your mobile device. Normally users can share their location with individuals and people can see exactly where they are, how fast they are going, when they are expected to arrive at their destination, etc. You can use a web browser to track a user, so there's no need to install an app or share your location if you don't want to. For more information, go to Glympse.com. The app and ability to track users is totally free!

Glympse also allows individuals in a group to all share their location with anyone who knows the tag, in this case, !GigaFactory. Imagine an air traffic control map showing hundreds or thousands of planes on the map all heading to their destinations. In this case, we could have scores of Tesla Gigafactory invitees sharing their location in real-time. It could be could if the word gets out and enough people share this information. If everyone used it (not likely), it would make it very easy to see which Superchargers along the way are occupied, etc.

@Bjorn Nyland used Glympse when he was moving across Norway with a convoy of Telsa's. It allowed everyone in the convoy to know where other members were located.

• Informative
Reactions: DÆrik
@ecarfan : When you get the "No Active Glympse" pop-up, there should be "Share Location" at the bottom of the pop-up. Select that and then the instructions should continue on step #3 above. I missed that part of the step.

@MorrisonHiker : Thanks for putting up the information!

@Glympser : Thanks for adding the link.

I will start sharing tomorrow around 10-11 am mountain time. I will be sure to post when I do. If anyone else starts sharing please post here. I think it would be great to see as many cars as possible on Glympse, so be sure to share the link where-ever you would like!

Thanks Erik

Just an FYI, but I-70 is closed in Glenwood Canyon today and tomorrow from 9 until 3:30 so plan accordingly. Tesla navigation will suggest an alternate route.

I-70 will be CLOSED in Glenwood Canyon in both directions (Mile Marker 116-133) today and tomorrow, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., for rockfall mitigation work. Preferred Alternate Routes: US 40 to CO 13; US 285 to US 50. (Note: CO 131 has an 8-foot width restriction due to bridge work) CO 82 Independence Pass is viable for passenger vehicles but no CMVs or vehicles over 35 feet long are permitted on the pass. Click here for full project information.

With your clean car :p

Wish I could be there with everyone :(
Screenshot_2016-07-29-19-56-33.png

Reactions: DÆrik and fosking
Had to prep the car and get rid of all the nasty bugs caked on the front of the car... Only to have the rain & dust storm make it look terrible again a few hours afterwards!

If was great seeing everyone on Glympse and at the GigaFactory! I will see you all at the next event!

Thanks Erik