Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glad I Got The Towing Package Option!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impressive. Any idea how badly range is affected? Just wondering what lakes I could reach with an X75D pulling a tournament ski boat with camping gear. Detroit Lake is 100 miles away, but there is super charger located in Detroit, OR. The trip has 2,270' elevation drop with 3,330' of climbing for a net elevation gain of 1,760'.

The best advice I can give is to watch more of Teslabjørn's videoes. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1QcV31eoSaX4rE8avQL4A The aerodynamics of what you tow is more important than weight at highway speeds.

I haven't read about anyone pulling a boat with their X, but I think it might be within the pulling capacity rating. Isn't the X rated at 5,000 lbs?

Nice boat. I partly bought the towing package with towing boats in mind but be careful - the weight limit depends on the wheel size. So if you put on the correct wheels then yes, you can tow 5,000 pounds which is sufficient to tow many boats that are smaller than 23'. 23 and 24' boats I'd check, and bigger than 24' you are probably out of luck. Design studio has the numbers, but in short it's 5,000 lbs on 20" and 3,500 on 22" wheels.

Based on my experience towing pinball machines, I am now glad I don't need to tow any boats. YMMV, literally.

alex

From my experience hauling a parachute, also known as a U-Haul box trailer, from Oregon to Utah you can probably expect about half of normal range.

If you slow down a lot and have a shorter trailer you should get some of that range back.