Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass in radiator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night a car in front of us got into an accident and some small pieces of shattered glass got into my front radiator (I assume that is the radiator I see at the bottom front of the car behind the plastic / rubber grill.) Is there anything I should do? The car seems to be fine, I noticed the glass today as I inspecting the car.

In an ideal world, If you can, I’d blow compressed air from the backside. Yes, that means you need to get access by removing the under panel and have access to compressed air.
In the real world, it’ll likely be nothing. Glass shards can unlikely penetrate metal, even metal as thin as radiator fins, unless they are decent size with some mass. Just keep an eye on it as said above and watch for leaks.

Reactions: Owner4523
Not on my Model Y. The radiator is completely covered up by a shroud, and from looking at the service manual you have to take a lot of the front car apart to get the shroud off.
i seen youtube of someone opening the radiator shroud partially to clean the radiator. full shroud removal requires bumper removal but you can still get partially open shroud to clean radiator somewhat.

i seen youtube of someone opening the radiator shroud partially to clean the radiator. full shroud removal requires bumper removal but you can still get partially open shroud to clean radiator somewhat.
I tried removing the shroud, and I couldn't get it to budge at all. But maybe I was being too afraid of breaking it.

Are you talking about the Model Y? The Tesla service manual doesn't say anything about removing the bumper cover.

Actually, you can "unhook" some top and side clips to open up upper half portion of the radiator shroud and vacuuming any "unwanted" material out.
I swear I tried and couldn't get it to move at all. I don't have pictures but I sort of recall that the back/top of the shroud had tabs that inserted into something, and the only way to move the shroud was to tip it up from the front and then slide it forward, which you couldn't because there was a support bar on top of the front.

Maybe they have changed the design and it is possible with some revisions...